Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Baldwin Racing Engines Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jsf74 View Post
    So while your here could I use a 6.0 with good bolts,pistons and l92 heads and have a reliable motor? What about the front pumps? Can I use what's stock or is placement out of wack. I am going ls for sure but I'm just getting all my ducks in a row to prevent costly mistakes. Thanks.
    Yes, you will need all that for sure, the crank and block will hold up ok and a L92 head will make ok power. You will want to use an aftermarket pump for more volume. What are you running on the front for ignition? Coil over or MSD Distributer.

I didn't mean it to sound that way it did.....Just there are cheaper ways to build good power on a budget while makeing the jump to ls......Not knocking your engine program....Because if i could afford to go that route i would. sorry....

Default Ls motor

I think I'm going to run the coils with the add on ign box. Seems to be the cheapest route to start with and I dont think it's going to hold the motor back. What are the benefits to a dizzy?
    Last edited by jsf74; 10-14-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Mistake

I think that some sanctioning bodies will not allow coil pack ignitions and you have to run a distributor, so the option is available...No real advantage that I can think of....

No real bid power gain either way coil or dist, the coils you have to pre tune your timing curve were the dist you would use as normal, its cheaper to go with the coils if rules allow.

WE have updated the Engine side of our website with 4 different LS combo's, we have have started them at 8600.00 for a turn key engine minus the carb, everything you will need to drop it in and go, full conversion from old sbc to the new generation of speed with our LS engines. We are the leaders in LS technology with engines packages that have proven race designs and dyno sheets to back them up. We started with our stage 1 engine that would be good for any Hobby stock or pure street even b or e mod where rules allow, these are all distributer driven engines, they will bolt in the exact same location as your std sbc. Stage 2 engines get a little added to them with the addes of better rods and CNCed heads, these would be good for a beginner mod racer or a steel block late model guy. Stage 3 gets more serious with a lot of custom parts, high flowing CNCed heads, lighter internal parts and these engine will be for any of your Mod's that you are needing that power range from 650-700+. Stage 4 full competition LS engine have almost everything custom in them, everything Titanium in the valve train, light parts through the whole engine, high revving, high horsepower and torque, available in almost any cubic inch all the way to 502, gas or methanol, steel and aluminum block, dry or wet sump, so many differant combo's and making huge hp numbers. Give us a call here at Baldwin Racing Engines, your source for everything LS. 573-225-6886 or 573-788-2329 and check out the website at www.baldwinengines.com

can you make the motors nlms legal? they have to be 362 max.

Quote Originally Posted by EAMShater View Post
    can you make the motors nlms legal? they have to be 362 max.
    I don't think that is possible. The only aluminum head allowed is the Spec Brodix head. I don't think they make a cast iron LS head. If they did it certainly wouldn't meet the specs.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Give me a call here at Baldwin Racing Engines and I can hook you up with the parts you will need to keep it together, 573-225-6886 or 573-788-2329

An LS block is SEVERAL pounds heavier than a conventional SBC (and that's before we lighten the conventional ones), steel to steel. In the mod classes aluminum aren't allowed, making them at a disadvantage. We won 3 out of 4 races at East bay with Rodney Wing running our 388 CI mod engine, which makes over 715 reliable HP, and the nose weight is acceptable........ TB

How much less

In going to IMIS this weekend, the talk of the show again was the LS engines, how they are coming along. We have picked up a few more companies that are wanting to get on board the LS engine program before it really takes off, we have a few more cylinder head options and pistons options coming and these engines have already proven themselves as a very durable, high horsepower and torque making engines. Give us a call for your LS questions here at Baldwin Racing Engines, we can anything thing you have on them. Contact us at 573-225-6886, the aluminum block late model engines will be lighter and the power options are unlimited. The LS based mod engines we have out right now are doing awesome, very good power and torque, very drivable, and the last race our LS engine was at he was 3 tenths faster than the 42 car feild, not to bad. We are working on an alcohol version of the engine right now that we be even better than the others. Big cubic inch, big power, big torque, on a smaller budget than conventional sbc and in a lighter package. You better get one before you get passed by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin Racing Engines View Post
    Big cubic inch, big power, big torque, on a smaller budget than conventional sbc and in a lighter package. You better get one before you get passed by one.

hmm...a dart shp block is around 175lbs a iron 6.0 block is around 190lbs and a lsx block is 225lbs.

We do a lot of them for bracket racers (drag racing), but NONE for dirt. We won 3 out or 4 at East Bay, with a lightened up conventional 388 ci engine a couple of years ago, with Rodney Wing.TB

You dont think that a LSX or std LS block can be lightened, if the weight was a huge factor on the block I dont think that we would have cover the field by 3 tenths up in Penn, keep doughting them and see where your at in a few years.

We also build light SBC mod engines that will run with anybodys in the country, so there is nothing wrong with the old style engines, we are bring the future to motorsports here with the LS engines.

And as far as the aluminum LS blocks go, they are lighter than the sbc with a ton more strenth built in to start with, 6 bolt billet main, 50 mm camshafts are all std parts on even std gm ls blocks.

Buy the way, how much power is that Dart SHP block rated for, we have some 6.0 iron blocks that are twin turbo'ed making over 1200hp out there with stock blocks and cranks in them, not sure that the conventional sbc is going to handle that on stock parts. The LS engines are a little heavier but they make it up two fold in strenth and relieablity. Too each is own I guess, I just know how impressive these engines are and they will continue to grow even more dominate in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin Racing Engines View Post
    You dont think that a LSX or std LS block can be lightened, if the weight was a huge factor on the block I dont think that we would have cover the field by 3 tenths up in Penn, keep doughting them and see where your at in a few years.
    Can you get an LS down to a 8.875 deck height??? Is your bob-weight under 1600 grams????
    I don't think you realize the real weight differance, hence, is why they haven't caught on.TB

They havent cought on yet because most guys in the dirt world have no idea there is another option out now, we are bringing that to them vs keeping it from them. It has to do with an engine that was designed for racing by racers that has been used in production now for 14 years with the lastest technology designed right into it, it has nothing to do with deck heights and bob weights. Like I said, we build a ton of old school sbc engines, but if your not looking forward your backing up and this engine is coming like it or not. We love them and they are running great and racing even better, the crate CT525 is winning all over the place and thats just a modified corvette engine and is stock with all stock components and it has wore out the full blown old school engines on many occations. The distibuter option had only been out for a few years and we helped with testing on FMH front cover on the LS engines as well, also if you were at IMIS might have seen all the new stuff the LS engine had built for it by the Comp group for sprint car use, all new gear drive front cover and a regular cover for distibuter driven race cars as well. If its good enough for lightweight sprint cars it good enough for me.