Default Lifters breaking

Driving to work today I stopped by the parts store to pick up some oil for my truck. And as thought trains go I went from thinking about the oil, to whats in it, to what do street engines need now compared to 40 years ago. Which got me thinking about damages engines can have from running incorrect oil hahaha. And then I ended at remembering a motor I seen a few years ago.

It was a solid lifter motor I am assuming a 362 spec motor on gas. The car and engine had very poor maintenance done, if any. A handful of lifters had cracks in the feet. And a few more had chunks broken off. The camshaft looked good but bear in mind this motor was probably just junk thrown together to sell a car.

What would cause lifters to break like that? I am going to assume that the cam I seen was not the one used when the lifters came apart.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Most likely excessive valve lash, or possibly valve float.
    Josh K.

Quote Originally Posted by fast_crew View Post
    Most likely excessive valve lash, or possibly valve float.
    That had to make quite a racket.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.