Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good cars under these rules

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD CARS UNDER THESE RULES?

15.1 – Engine
    A.) Only three (3) or four (4) cylinder in-line engines will be permitted.
    B.) All engine components must remain unaltered and OEM for the year, make and model of the car being used in competition.
    C.) All valve-train components must remain unaltered and OEM including but not limited to; crankshaft, connecting rods, valves, valve sizes and the bore and stroke.
    D.) Aftermarket and/or racing-type cylinder heads will not be permitted.
    E.) High performance and/or sports car engines of any type will not be permitted.
    F.) Turbo charged and/or super charged and/or rotary engines and/or engines utilizing a variable cam-timing system will not be permitted.

15.1.2. – Electronics and Ignition System
    A.) All ignition components must be unaltered, OEM and match the year, make and model of the car in competition. Only 12 volt ignition systems will be permitted.
    B.) Ignition boxes and/or performance chips and/or any ignition enhancing devices will not be permitted.
    C.) Traction control of any-type will not be permitted.
    D.) Only one twelve (12) volt battery, securely mounted with both terminals covered will be permitted. If battery is moved from OEM location, the battery must be mounted in a Marine-type case.
    E.) Only stock OEM starters in the OEM location will be permitted.
    F.) Only one aftermarket tachometer, oil pressure and water temperature gauge(s) will be permitted.
    G.) The vehicle computer (ECU) must be mounted in a visible location providing ease of inspection.

15.1.3 – Exhaust System
    A.) The exhaust manifold must remain unaltered and OEM for the year, make and model of the car in competition.
    B.) Removal of the catalytic converter, air conditioning compressor and smog pump will be permitted.
    C.) Track rules may require a muffler.

15.1.4 – Engine Compartment
    A.) The engine and radiator must be OEM and mounted in the stock OEM location for the year, make and model of the car in competition.
    B.) Solid engine mounts and/or safety chains will be permitted.
    C.) Accumulators and/or accusumps will not be permitted.
    D.) Reinforcing will not be permitted with the exception of the front strut bar.

15.2 – Transmission & Driveline
    A.) The transmission and/or transaxle must remain OEM and unaltered for the year, make and model of the car in competition.
    B.) All forward and reverse gears must be operational.
    C.) The flywheel, flexplate, clutch and/or torque converter and/or assembly must remain unaltered and OEM of the year, make and model of the car in competition.
    D.) Mini-type clutches and/or couplers will not be permitted.
    E.) Transmission coolers in the driver compartment will not be permitted.
    F.) Torque dividing final drive systems will not be permitted.
    G.) Locked differentials of any type will not be permitted.
    H.) A minimum one (1) inch inspection hole must be located in the bell housing.

15.3 – Chassis/Frame
    A.) All chassis and frames must remain unaltered and OEM. Any front wheel drive, compact car frame will be permitted.
    B.) A maximum wheelbase of 107-inches will be permitted.
    C.) The magnetic steel floor pan must remain unaltered and OEM. Any work that is done in the form of patches must be completed with magnetic steel.

15.4 – Weight
    A.) Additional weight of any type will not be permitted. Any item(s) that are deemed to provide additional weight must be removed.

15.5 – Fuel Cells and Fuel
    A.) The fuel system must be complete, unaltered and OEM for the year, make and model of the car in competition.
    B.) Only standard pump gasoline will be permitted for competition. A maximum of 93 octane. Performance additives will not be permitted.
    C.) The gas tank/fuel cell may be mounted ahead of the rear axle with a minimum 1/8-inch shield mounted under it.
    D.) If the gas tank/fuel cell is mounted behind the rear axle the gas tank/fuel cell must be replaced with a maximum eight (Cool gallon fuel cell relocated to the trunk area of the car. The cell must be mounted with two (2) solid magnetic steel straps around the entire cell two (2) inches wide and .125-inch thick. A magnetic steel or fuel cell cover must be between the driver and the fuel cell.
    E.) A fuel cell vent, including cap vent, must have a check valve. If the fuel cell does not have an aircraft-type positive seal filler neck, then a flapper, spring and/or ball type filler roll-over valve is mandatory.
    F.) External electric fuel pump wired to the ignition switch with aftermarket fuel cell will be permitted.
    G.) Cool cans will not be permitted.
    H.) Fuel lines that pass through the driver compartment must be magnetic steel.

15.6 – Body – (See drawing diagram for reference)
    A.) Any front wheel drive, compact car will be permitted for competition. Station wagons, and/or convertibles and/or two seat sports cars will not be permitted.
    B.) The body must remain unaltered and OEM in appearance.
    C.) The inner fenders must remain unaltered and OEM. Removing of the inner fenders will not be permitted.
    D.) The hood and trunk lid / hatchback must be positively and securely fastened.
    E.) All doors must be positively and securely fastened.
    F.) All glass, exterior lights, chrome and/or plastic trim and hood insulation must be removed.
    G.) The dashboard may be removed.
    H.) Front and rear bumpers must be positively and securely fastened. Welded, chained and/or cabled to the frame will be permitted.
    I.) A front and rear tow hook easily accessible will be required.
    J.) The OEM bumper covers must remain on the vehicle, but may be altered to allow for tow hook.

15.7 – Suspension
    A.) All components and mounts must remain unaltered and OEM and must match the year, make and model of car in competition.
    B.) Weight jacks, modifications, racing components, aftermarket or homemade traction devices will not be permitted.
    C.) The car must remain in alignment from front-to-rear and must track straight.
    D.) A maximum of 5 degrees of camber will be permitted on any wheel.
    E.) Center mounted steering will not be permitted.
    F.) A quick release, aftermarket steering wheel will be permitted. The steering column must remain OEM and unaltered.
    G.) Aftermarket remote reservoir power steering will not be permitted.
    H.) All shocks and struts must remain unaltered and OEM in the OEM location.
    I.) Spring rubbers will be permitted.

15.7.2 – Brakes
    A.) All brake components must be unaltered, OEM, magnetic steel and operative on all four wheels.
    B.) Disc and/or drum brakes will be permitted and they must match the year, make and model of the vehicle in competition.
    C.) Only OEM Master Cylinders in OEM location will be permitted.
    D.) Brake shut off and/or valve bias adjuster(s) will not be permitted.
    E.) Only magnetic steel brake lines will be permitted.

15.8 – Wheels and Tires
    A.) Only OEM DOT 13, 14, 15 or 16-inch passenger tires will be permitted. Racing, mud, and/or snow tires will not be permitted.
    B.) Alterations of any type including re-caps, softening, chemical alteration, conditioning, siping and/or grooving will not be permitted.
    C.) All wheels must be OEM steel or aluminum wheels with a maximum width of seven (7) inches and a standard bead.
    D.) All four (4) tires and wheels must be of the same series, size and offset.
    E.) All tires must remain inside of the body.
    F.) Wheel spacers and/or bleeder valves will not be permitted.
    G.) Wheel reinforcement is strongly recommended.
    H.) One (1) inch Outside Diameter magnetic steel lug nuts on steel wheels are required.

15.10 – Roll Cage
    A.) Unless otherwise noted all tubing utilized in the construction of the roll cage must be 1.50-inch Outside Diameter, .095-inch thick magnetic steel tubing.
    B.) A six-point, full perimeter, using 1.50-inch Outside Diameter, .095-inch thick magnetic steel tubing is required.
    C.) The rear hoop must have bracing that crosses in an ‘X’ configuration. Rear kick up supports are required.
    D.) A minimum 1.25-inch outside diameter cross bar is required across the top of the halo bar.
    E.) The roll cage must be securely fastened (welding is required) utilizing a minimum of .250-inch plating to mount cage to the frame. Only magnetic steel will be permitted. Iron, galvanized pipe, fittings, square tubing, brazing and/or soldering will not be permitted.
    F.) A minimum of three (3) door bars on the driver side and two (2) door bars on the passenger side, mounted in a horizontal manner will be required. Vertical bracing from the top-to-the-bottom of the door bars on both sides is required.
    G.) A minimum of three (3) windshield bars and protective screen will be required in front of the driver.
    H.) The driver compartment must be sealed completely from the track, the engine and the fuel cell. The front and rear firewalls must remain and any holes must be patched with magnetic steel.
    I.) Mirrors will not be permitted.
    J.) Gutting of the car will not be permitted with the exception of clearance for the roll and door bars.
    K.) All material considered flammable including but not limited to the radio, airbags must be removed.
    L.) The interior must remain open.

15.11 – Other
    A.) The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must remain clearly visible and unaltered in a minimum of one (1) of the OEM locations. Any car missing the VIN will not be permitted to enter competition.
    B.) The entire car may be claimed and/or exchanged by the track operator/promoter and/or another competitor who finishes on the lead lap in the stated feature event. A competitor may make only one such claim per season;
    1.) $1,000 cash claim and/or exchange on complete car.
    2.) The claim does not include any of the following; Seat, seatbelts, any other permanently mounted safety items and/or the fuel cell and/or electronic fuel pump.

dohc neon
    cheap, parts everywhere, 140+hp, lightweight,
    $1000 claim makes it iffy to even bother, hard to build for that

Why would anyone want to 'race' a car whereby the Rules would not permit even a bit of performance innovation on the part of the owner and/or driver? Example: while still on the street, if the engine required overhaul & was bored to the max, would the engine be legal for the Subject class of racing, under the Rules? Apparently not! I wouldn't touch that race Class with a 10' pole! -Dave-

stuped trans rule cuz u cant run a pinto trans in a mudstain or a ranger trans in a pinto or a t-bird trans in a pinto or n-e of themcombos

i got arouind no miror i super polshed a chunk fo alum. werked grate

"Any front wheel drive, compact car will be permitted for competition"

no worries about pintos and mustangs

so like if a guy wanted to build a FWD car like a Neon, since it says year, make, model specific, you couldn't put a 2003 SRT4 trans into a 1996 Neon?

Quote Originally Posted by raabbiitt View Post
    "Any front wheel drive, compact car will be permitted for competition"

no worries about pintos and mustangs
    But it does NOT say FWD only, just says FWD permitted for competition. Rules dont say you CAN'T run a RWD.

Thats how I read it anyways.

With a claimer rule, Mid 90's Honda Civic or Prelude or Neon is what I suggest. They are plentiful, cheap and durable. If you can find an Acura Integra, use it instead.
    And I'm a Toyota guy.
    Dentman

i ran this class until moved to pure stocks, and i loved it, cheap and fun. but i ran 1996 dodge neon sohc, 1st and 2nd gear all stock on a 3/8 mile, and i did great, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all year long.

I still can not understand this type of a division. OK stock motors fine but when they dont allow even tha basics of set up like stagger and springs what do you get? You have a division that is entry level that is intended for people to move up from. But they really have learned nothing about race cars and how to set them up or make changes.

Alot of guys in the midwest are running cavaliers. Pretty cheap and lots of parts available.

As for having this class, its cheap and there are people who want to race, but cant afford anything else.

i did mess with the tire size and tire pressure but other than that, its a street car that you put on dirt and go in a circle with, it not a late model, i mean how much set up do you want ya know, its not always about who is the best and the fastest with the best setup, its who has the driving skills in this class, and if you dont your in the back. jmo

Im talking just the basics, not jacking bolts, coilovers or adjustable mounting points for the suspension. Things like tire size caster and camber, sway bar and springs. This way guys can learn what changes do what to a race car. I have seen in the past guys run good in the smash the glass type division and move up to being a back marker. I do think a stock motor is one thing that should remain stock in a division like this.

The best driver in the world is not going to make a winner out of a bad handling car. On the plus side it is cheap and a good filler for the track to make a show. My track did away with the Mini-Stocks even though we had 20-22 cars every night. They made it a stock only 4 cylinder clas and have 8 cars in a 3 year old division.
    Last edited by Headhunter; 10-17-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Unhappy

What a joke.

first off, I think a claimer class is stupid. Only encourages grudges and fights. Second, an all stock class with no modifications of any kind is a junk demo derby. why would anyone want to evenplay inthis class. If we are going to develop new drivers, this is not the way. That is an awful lot of rules for a stock Hornet class. Too full of "donts and cants" not too many "do,s". Kick out the glass, put in a roll cage and drive in a circle, is not racing.
    dr6 motorsports

i think it is kind of funny how people think it is a joke to run this class, when it is pretty competive class, they even have big shows for them and stuff like that, it is really big in illinos and the areas around there, even in kentucky, and ohio, and indy, they do it all over, not tryin to argue its just the faqs.

Pretty big class in Nebraska and Iowa as well. Many nights it was the biggest class at our local track.

As for setup...using spring rubbers make a difference. Also, you can get stagger by running different tire brands(but same size) if you look around. So there are ways to follow the rules, yet get some desired results. With some slight machine work, you can put some camber in as well.

Spring rubbers and machine work is outside the rules already. Our division like this has to run the same size and brand of tire. So now they are spending money to have tires ground every couple of weeks.

I dont think it is a joke dut I do think the basics of stock car handling should be allowed. My opinion anyway.

And what racer follows every rule to the letter.

the ones that run in the back.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

your right most people dont follow the rules to the tee, but in any case i mean i did and i ran very well i thought 1st, 2nd, 3rd all year, its not all about the car i think, it has to do with the way you drive it and your driving ability