Default R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Today is a bitter reminder that the sport we love is indeed dangerous and can take someone's life in the blink of an eye. It is even more amazing that those who buckle up to do battle know this risk and go ahead anyways to race. That's why we love racing and the drivers who pilot the machines. R.I.P. Dan Wheldon. A dark day for the IndyCar Series and the motorsports world as a whole. I'd also like to say THANK YOU to EACH and EVERY racer who buckles up, risks their lives, and races for our (the fans) entertainment.
    The Mayor of Macon
    The Race Blogger

View The Race Blogger's World at http://theracebloggersworld.blogspot.com

For my race updates when I do them, check out my Twitter.
    http://twitter.com/pdavis18491988

Quote Originally Posted by Original18babbfan View Post
    Today is a bitter reminder that the sport we love is indeed dangerous and can take someone's life in the blink of an eye. It is even more amazing that those who buckle up to do battle know this risk and go ahead anyways to race. That's why we love racing and the drivers who pilot the machines. R.I.P. Dan Wheldon. A dark day for the IndyCar Series and the motorsports world as a whole. I'd also like to say THANK YOU to EACH and EVERY racer who buckles up, risks their lives, and races for our (the fans) entertainment.
    Couldn't have said it better my self.
    GOOD SPEED Dan Whalden - 1978-2011.

Horrible tragedy. RIP Dan.

I have to agree, Thoughts and Prayers to the Weldon Family in this difficult time.
    God Speed Dan Weldon

I believe its time these cars get full driver cages.

Horrible tragedy, RIP Dan.

A tragedy for everyone that loves racing. Prayers to Dan Wheldon's family, teammates and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtfan2757 View Post

The drivers are sitting in a carbon fiber tub. If you look at all the cars involved in most Indycar wrecks, the tubs hold up just fine. In this case the impact into the catch fence was so severe it broke off the halo bar that rises above the driver's head.

FYI: The new 2012 Indycars have a completely different rearend design that should help keep cars from launching over the top of the car in front.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." ~ Abraham Lincoln

It was a horrible, horrible tragedy... Godspeed Dan Weldon.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtfan2757 View Post

I am not sure that is the answer either. Have we forgotten Rich Vogler's crash? At what point does someone question having an open c0ckpit at 220+mph? Should these cars evolve to more of a drag boat style c0ckpit? Or gullwing doored like the Rolex series?

It's never going to be completely safe, people die everyday from the most simplest things like choking on a hot dog.

Maybe the problem is the catch fence. Or the fact that they take off like air planes. Could some sort of flap be designed into the bottom of the cars? Similar to what nascar has to keep the stock cars from catching air.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

I think there should be a way to cover all that exposed catch fencing with something like an industrial-strength belt type of material, at least in places like Vegas where there are no spectators between turns 1 and the beginning of 4 who need to see through it. The front straights would have to be left alone, or else not let anyone sit down low. If nothing else that would reduce the amount of catch fencing that just shreds the car instead of catching it.

Sunday’s race was the final event for the series’ current car. Wheldon spent this year as the development driver for the new car, which will debut next season with features intended to improve safety such as a wider cokpit, energy-absorbing materials underneath and behind the driver, and wide bodywork designed to prevent interlocking wheels in side-by-side racing.

But there’s always room for more improvements, and driver Alex Tagliani on Twitter called on veterans Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon, Helio Castroneves, Will Power, Marco Andretti and Ryan Hunter-Reay “to get together … and push drastic changes.”

Tagliani’s suggestions include: less downforce, which would decrease handling and force more braking thereby making it difficult for drivers to go wide-open in the corners; changes to the nose of the car; and side wheel protection for the oval races.

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_yl...ycar-inthepits
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." ~ Abraham Lincoln

It truly is terrible. I for one am not a fan of these cars being on super speedways.

Just too dangerous. Dan will be terribly missed.
    Sweethardt

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-a$$ speed." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

"He's somewhere between John Wayne & Clint Eastwood" - Bill France, Jr. on Dale Earnhardt

"He'd rather race Earnhardt as eat," says Harry Hyde, Tim Richmond's veteran crew

MAJOR MAJOR AUCTION IN PROGRESS FOR SUSIE, SEBASTIAN & OLIVER...

http://stores.ebay.com/celebritychar...don-memorialIT
    Feb 11-13 2016 Winter Freeze VI World Of Outlaws Super Late Models
    Open Wheel Modifieds & More tba
    SLM & OWM Chassis & Mfg CHAMPIONSHIP CUP
    SYLVANIA GA www.ScrevenMotorSports.com