Default squaring the rear left to right

When you square your rear left to right what is a good rule of thumb to go by. Should you line up the left side tires? center it between the frame rails? or allign the drive line? and should I have lead weight in the seat to compensate for when I get in the car.

Thanks in advance

The problem is one way doesn't fit all,some have the left sides lined up and some don't,same with the drive line,if you have a measurement from the chassis builder it makes it alot easier,then you can drop a stringline off the frame rail on either side and measure to the rotor and then you have another way to check rearend placement.I've never added driver weight to the seat to set rearend placement,but thats just me others might.

We like to line up the center of the pumpkin to the centerline of the chassis (assuming that both axle tubes are the same length). Then we use offset wheels or wheel spacers to align the right side tires. However, if we can't align those tires by using offsets or spacers then we set the rear toward the right to get those tires aligned.

Yet another "however"... some car & driver combinations like a wider front end than rear end. In that case we align the pumpkin with the centerline of the chassis and don't try to align the right side tires.
    Last edited by ferd; 10-19-2011 at 04:32 PM.

I have had this same issue on two cars now. I cut the rear clips off at the cage on these cars and had no clue how to align the rearend as the "factory" locations for measuring we gone. After a year of moving it back and forth, I ended up squaring it up by making the driveline straight in the car. I think it is safe to say most chassis builders want the driveline straight at static ride height.

Aligning the tires is a hit and miss. Depends on the wheel offset, the front controls arms, and rearend width. By the fact you cannot use the chassis builders measurement to align it, it might be assumable that the rest of the car might not be to the builders original specs?

Line up your driveline. It will get you really close.

No weight necessary. The difference is ride height is minimal.
    Last edited by 28m; 10-28-2011 at 11:33 AM.