Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steering Box Question

We run a Metric Impala stub and stock Impala boxes (16:1) with a 2:1 speeder. Our pitman arm is 5.5" long (metric stubs with a 605 box are 6.5") and the steering arm on the spindles is 6.5" (Pintos are 5.25"). We are looking at 12:1 Sweet boxes for both of our cars and this raises a question.

Both of our drivers come from Chevelle stub with Pinto steering arm cars or metric stubs with 605 boxes and 2:1 speeders and are not comfortable with the slower steering of the Impala setup. What OEM box would have the same bolt pattern as a 800 series box, 3/4" steering input shaft and take the same pitman arm as our Impala box? I see the Sweet boxes are listed as 700 series. All you see advertised anywhere are 605 and 800 boxes. Did the 700 series come in a production vehicle?

We're trying to replicate the steering feel of the driver's former cars. We're open to suggestions. Anyone?

Thanks,
    SPark
    Last edited by LM14; 10-26-2011 at 05:07 PM.

the saginaw 700 series or big gm box was used in a lot of gm cars up threw 77 it has a 4 bolt top cover and an 1-1/8th 32 spline pitman arm shaft.delphi make a 600 series box with a 14:1 ratio with a 3/4-30 spline shaft to replace the 700 and 800 box .
    Last edited by racin6mod; 10-22-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Default Boxes

probably a Sweet 8-1 or a 6-1 box would give the same feel as the setup they are used to.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

what are most guys running for steering ratio?

Default ratio

Trans Am and Z-28 Camaro had faster 12 to 1 ratio. With a 2 to 1 quickener it would be 6 to 1. Sweet has an 8 to 1 and a 6 to 1 box (about $700).

what ratio are of some of the rack pionion latemodels runs

Have the pinto spindle arms welded up and remachined off center. the only issue with that is you might some small ackerman issues.

We run the Impala spindles, not Pinto.

What year TA/Z28 boxes?

Thanks for the replys.

SPark

Use pinto spindles if you can, unless the MC won't work , have the impala welded up and re drilled.

I have a jet with the impala front clip. I ordered a box from jet, took a box off a chevelle clip and ordered two boxes thru NAPA that were all slow and had too much driver input need for my liking. I finally found a box from NAPA. It was for a 63 Impala. This box is awesome with a very light input needed. I like an easy steering car. I found the part number...PS 391073
    Last edited by 28m; 11-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Default year

For the 800 series box, 70-81 Trans Am and Z-28.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    That box can vary greatly in ratio and its supposed to be a 14-1. 12-1 came in cars with a certain handling package.

The casting number is what I used to go by until I had a different feel in my car and checked all my boxes I had 2.5-3.75 ratio boxes that all had the same number and should have been the same.

2.5 is the turns from lock to lock the box itself in a vise with no quickener. Ive got a advanced auto parts number for these if you want it. Its the fastest Ive found over the counter.

Here I found this.

The standard 17.5:1 steering ratio (four turns lock-to-lock) was used on these units through the 1960s, but a more responsive 14.4:1 ratio (31/2 turns lock-to-lock) became the normal power steering ratio in 1970 on the full-size models. The 14.4:1 ratio replaced the earlier 17.5:1 ratio completely by 1973 for all body styles. Some 1967-'76 F-, A- and G-body Chevrolets also used a 12.7:1 (also 3½ turns), which will interchange as well. These 12.7:1 units are the most popular units for a quick-ratio conversion because of their ease of conversion into other models.

A 14.0:1 unit, which was used on the two-wheel drive S-10 pickup and Blazer models from 1982-'93, will also interchange. You will also find these 14.0:1 ratio units on many Jeep models and some full-size GM cars. Another option is to use the even later model G- or F-body units. They were original equipment on 1983-'88 Chevelles and El Caminos, 1984-'88 Monte Carlos, 1983-'84 Hurst/Olds, 1985-'87 Olds 442s, and 1984-'87 Buick Grand Nationals or T-Types. They are 12.7:1 units, however, and they're not easy to find, as they were used on performance suspension options in many applications. They can be identified by a "YA," "WS," or "HX" marking on the end cap opposite where the steering column attaches. These units will reduce steering wheel revolutions from lock to lock down to 2¼ to 2¾ turns.

It appears the boxes Ive been using are as fast as you can get as they are in the 2.25-2.75 range lock to lock! They call them 12.7-1
    agree with all you said sept,...show me a 83-88 chevelle?????????

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    thats info I copy pasted.

chevelle equals malibu those years
    i thought type0 an was meaning the 73 to 78 chevelles but could be the malibu's like you suggested....2 1/4 is good as OME got an hard to find an harder to afford,..2 3/4 lil easyer to find an not much cheaper,...have herd roumers of a I-ROC box that was 1 3/4 turn but never actually seen one!

I've never noticed much difference from the different boxes. I just stick with the 605 and a 2-1 Quickener. I"m really not concerned with an eight of a turn on the wheel one way or the other.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

When your driver drives 2 cars and one has 1 turn stop to stop (stock car) and the other has 1.75 turns stop to stop (mod) it's a huge difference. Both of these with a 2:1 speeder. He runs the 605 box on his stock car but that won't work on the mod, no pitman arm that will fit the Impala stub. This whole mess has to stay IMCA legal, too.

We have a second car for another driver with the same problem. He also hated the slow steering and he has a ton of experience in mods.

Don't want to go to the Pinto spindles. The bump steer is awful with the Impala stub and is almost perfect with the stock sindles. It would speed up the steering a bit but not worth the bump steer issues.

Jeff, what's the number on the box you found?

Thanks all,
    SPark

I've never owned a car that was 1 turn lock to lock. Mostly 1.5 turns lock to lock. I don't really pay attention. I would put a sweet box on there if it is a huge problem but most of the stuff I run is 8-1 with the quickener and 605 box.

Why can't you put the correct pittman arm on a 605 for an Impala? We did it back in 03 with a Kraft Kar. Everything was IMCA Legal as well.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

sg a16561

advanced auto parts
    Last edited by stock car driver; 11-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Jeff,

What is your steering effort like with that box and a 2:1 speeder?

Thanks,
    SPark

Are you on a KSE pump? I'm confused as to whether you're looking for a faster steering or an easier steering now.

We want close to 1 turn lock to lock, with a 2:1 speeder. Fast but light effort.

The problem is you can get to the point you overwhelm the pump output with the speed of the box being doubled. Sweet site says to use their lightest valve with their 12:1 box and a 2:1 speeder of the feel will be very heavy.

We have Sweet pumps on both cars.

Thanks,
    SPark