Default titanium retainers and locks or steel ?

im putting a roller cam in my 355ci small block chevy all light weight bottom end .my valves are stainless steel. i know i need a 10 degree lock and retainer would it benifit me any by running a titanium lock and retainer of a steel ?

What rpm you goin to try to turn?

Default titanium

in my big bore/ short stroke motor i'm building i'm using titanium valve, titanium retainers and steel locks. the weight diff on the locks is very minimal. shoot me an e-mail if you want some info on titanium valves. joeltjen43@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by SLM98 View Post
    What rpm you goin to try to turn?
    im not plaing on turning over 7500rpms i cant aford the titanium valves wanna stick with stainless valves

If you are going to keep the rpm's down in the mid 7,000 range and the cam profile is not outrageous, stell will work fine...We run Ti Valves, Retainers and Locks, but we run more RPM and a lot bigger intake valve...Hey Joel, take 16 machined steel locks, weigh them and then see the difference with 16 Ti locks...You also don't have a chance of gauling the valve stem if you run Ti locks...JMO

You can find used super 7 retainers on ebay pretty cheap, remachine the steps if needed by making an aluminum fixture that fits the taper of the retainer, place the retainer on the fixture light tap with mallet, to seat the taper, check runout and cut in lathe. May even be able to find used Ti locks, if not don't sweat the few extra grams of difference.
    Josh K.

Comp-Cams tool steel retainers are less money than titanium and are just a few grams heavier.

stick with the steel at 7500 you wont see a big gain so why spend that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by SLM98 View Post
    Comp-Cams tool steel retainers are less money than titanium and are just a few grams heavier.
    Same with Crower, some very nice lightweight 4340 steel pieces, particularly for those like us with a no titanium rule