Default tips approaching potential sponsors?

what would be everyones tips on approaching sponsors. the offseason is here for a majority of us and i would like get some help myself, and maybe help some other people who could use some more sponsorship dollars!

You have to approach sponsor's with this mindset "what can you do for them, not what they can do for you" hope that makes sense. Personally I would build a resume with driver info/stats/car info/and such, then add a couple of photos of your big bad machine so the sponsor knows what type of equipment your working with. I hope this helps you a little bit in your future endeavors.

V/r,
    Team ASR "74"
    - LUCAS OIL
    - Outlaw Race Parts
    - PST
    - Specialty Marine
    - Strokers Graphics

I second that thought "what can you do for them, not what they can do for you".
    You need to show them that you can provide better exposure for their money than other media, for the price. Then you need to back up your promises with action.

Find out what other media advertisement costs for the area(s) where you'll race. That may be TV, radio, newspapers, billboards, etc. Find out what the average fan attendance is at the track(s) you'll race at, as well as any media coverage or advertising those tracks and/or sanctioning bodies typically do. If you will put sponsor names on your hauler (big enough to be read while travelling) then find out how much traffic flows on the roads you'll use. All of this data convinces sponsors that people will see their names, and that you are serious about representing them. Also present a list of possible promotions that you're willing to do, such as parking the car in front of their business, or doing before or after race meet-and-greets, or handing out flyers at and away from the track, and calling into sports programs to talk about your season. You might also work deals with the track(s) for promotions. Even giving the track candy to throw out to kids can get your name announced. You want to show that you do more than just take their money and disappear.

Don't promise wins or other things that you cannot control. Promise to do things that you know you can do, make sure you do them, then follow up with a newsletter or other communications all along the season that reminds your sponsors that you are out there plugging for them.