Default Scat 9000 383 Crank opinions?

These any good? There are obviously better cranks on the market but for the money is there any that beat it in the same price range? Anyone have any luck with them or horror stories about them?

Clark

Use lightweight pistons, make sure you have it balanced, and don't turn it very hard.

I have used a couple of them in our mod and e-mod engines. Never had any problems, but again we were turning around 7000 tops. We use 6" Scat 7/16"
    capscrew rods with SRP pistons. With rings,bearings and balancing its under a $1500 rotating assembly and pretty decent. Definitely have it balanced, SCAT cranks are usually pretty far off right out of the box.
    Good luck

CONFUCIUS SAY:
    Putting any crank in without balancing is like putting your shoes on and not tying them, you’re going to lose one sooner than later…

Default Tough but has LIMITS

Had one in a UMP Modified motor turned it about 7300 for 45-50 niughts, ran strong but you have to be on top of maintenance and not make over 500-525 at the crank. You will be down on power to other modifieds but with it hooked up or dry slick youll beat lots of fast cars. But if you turn it to hard to long it will go to pieces and its not pretty when they do everything but the heads, intake and carb was junk on ours when it let go.

A scat cast crank is 160-260 depending on your source, surely you can pony up to 299 or 399 for a imported steel crank of the 5140 or 4130 flavor?

You can get a lw 46lb 4340 for under 500 these days. I cant understand why anyone not in a 500 dollar claimer class would run a cast crank when all the others are sooo cheap now.

Its still cheaper to spend extra couple hundred on steel crank.Because if the cast crank breaks it takes out the whole bottom end most times. Thats just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Living_Truth View Post
    Because it's not necessary. We know why you run well: you simply outspend the competition, and don't mind winning with minimum challenges and overpriced motors.

I've build several Limited LM motors from scratch for well under $2500 that won races. That is, spent less than HALF what you'd spend on a motor to win a street stock race.

Now don't misunderstand, nearly all racing involves throwing money away. But some of us like to see a little better return on that waste. For us, it's knowing that simply buying the best parts isn't the reason we beat the other guy.

It cracks me up every time you show up with your bashing about why Im a WINNER and your not, lol... Why dont you say who you are so I can laugh at you at the track at least...

As for what I spend Ive been claimed and sold for $425 that was a 3500 dollar motor and your right I didnt cry, Im not a broke poor whine ass internet commando like you..

Chinese cranks and scat I beam rods are NOT expensive, lol.... I beat guys all the time with peoples names engraved on their alum valve covers!!! Jealous much?

I must be doing something right to have you hating on me, thanks for being a fan. Come out of hiding and Ill give you a shirt next time Im at the track your at.

Are you the one that made the 66jj fanboy voice message one of my friends sent me??

Its very very funny and flattering to have such an impact on what I would assume to be other adults who race dirt cars also!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Living_Truth View Post
    I disagree, and instead propose that it matters on the intended purpose of the engine. If it's going to be a 450 horse engine turning 6600 every week, then it's absolutely a waste of money because these cast cranks can handle that just fine.

Just about any internal part that fails can lead to catastrophic failure. So you have to draw the line somewhere, whether it's pistons, rods, or crank. We aren't all looking to make 700 horses.

That's real cute stock car, but I still stand by what I posted. And I have plenty of driver shirts, another would just clutter up my closet! Besides, I'm sure you'll need all the shirts you can get to help cover that $3100 you lost selling a motor that you won a $500 dollar race with.

I won 175.00 the day I was claimed...... no biggie..

A chinese crank is not over spending... Unlike cast SCAT I have never broke the snout off a NEW crank... I have broke the snouts of NEW Scats in the past and seen others do it also. They are JUNK.

As for needing money for shirts, ask around I GIVE them away to fans!!

cant we all just get along??? we all entitled to a opinion,..an there's lots of ways to build a motor,..ant none of them cheap! ant none right or wrong depending on intents an available funds....just cause some one don't agree with a opinion is no reason to go postal bout it...

im turning a stock cast crank turnd 10/10 7500,..got 85 bucks in it,..got anutter fixed just like if for when it brakes or needs replacing,..85 bucks in it to,...will it brake,..probably,..be fun till it do,...an ill put it back together an runner till she blow again,..kinda fun! named this one grenade,next one be a-bomb!!
    Last edited by dirty white boy; 11-04-2011 at 09:32 PM.

I have run $500 forged cranks and $150 cast cranks. Both serve a purpose.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

I still stick to my original post. Run lightweight pistons, balance it, run good rod bolts, make sure everything has proper clearance, and don't turn it very hard. If you plan to turn it hard or want it to last longer, buy a forged crank. Both have their place and purpose.