Thread: USMTS motor

Default USMTS motor

Do you guys feel a 400 cubic inch roller cam motor could be competetive to race with the USMTS?

Not enough info, a 400 c.i. engine could be anything from stock to 750 hp.
    Yes, 400 is big enough depending on whats in it.

It really matters where the power band is, more then the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak_9x View Post
    It really matters where the power band is, more then the size.
    We ran a couple usmts shows with a 355 and I couldn't agree more with this statement.Had an 11 in a feature in 2005 and had to start at the back with 10 laps to go.I've even heard of guys running even smaller motors but twisting them real high the 9200+ range.

I think that if you dont have the spec head or 525 motor to take advantage of the weight break and bigger spoiler, that you wont have a chance. It has been about 2 years since an open motor has won a USMTS race.If you are going to run with them you better call Mullins or Sputs to get the right stuff.

Do many guys run 383's with the usmts spec head?

How big is your track? Makes more difference than anything. Does it get slick?

SPark

I like the USMTS series and 99% of their rules,but when it comes to motor rules they are out to lunch in my opinion,now you have spec motors that cost more than open motors then you have the 525 has it won a race yet? I guess to me it would be alot easier to have a chip rule say 8000 rpm then you could get more of the locals trying to race with their series then perhaps you could do away with the lead on the front and different size spoilers but maybe i'm missing something because that does sound pretty easy.

what would make a spec head motor more expensive than a open motor?

I think Lucas Schott won with the 525. Jimmy Ray finished 2nd and had a few top 5's with the 525, in USMTS race's. Tommy Myer went to the 525 at the end of the USMTS season and did well. When we went to run the $10k show in Las Cruces last weekend Jimmy finished 6th. USMTS also said they were looking at going to a 8000 RPM chip next year. I don't know if he ment USRA though.(USMTS weekly series) The 10k Race's at Cruces mandate a 8000 chip and after the A main's they pull'em and test them...

USRA (the weekly sanction ran by USMTS) already has a 8,000 rpm chip rule and seemed to help around here in OK.
    I have a question tho, I've seen on Mullins site that spec motors only in a stage 2 or 3. Is that how they make spec head work is up the RPM? I thought bout building a spec head motor but only gonna turn it 8,000 rpm tho.

http://www.tonyjacksonjr.com/index.p...d=56&Itemid=60
    toward the bottom of the page 400 Mullins spec engine thats what it will cost you to run up front in USMTS with a spec engine thats why I don't care for their engine rules.I'm sure thats a 9000 plus RPM Motor.
    Last edited by not clamped up; 11-15-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by not clamped up View Post
    Toward the bottom of the page, 400 Mullins spec engine. That's what it will cost you to run up front in USMTS with a spec engine
    Sorry but that's simply not true.