Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default jjjjjjjjjjjj

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
    Last edited by stock car driver; 07-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.

I'm impressed ! Nice work!! :-)

Very nice looking work! What do you use for control arm mount bushings?

Thumbs up looks good

i like it!
    please keep the pictures coming

Jeff, I like how you braced the lower control arm mount off the X brace...nice.

Default cage

why do you put the cage off the side of the frame and not on top of it?
    dillonsolumracing.weebly.com

Default off side

yea because it seems the top of the frame could just bend. i like it. never seen it done so i figured id ask.

funny i hated metric cars until i got on here and read alot about how you set them up and now the pics from this build have changed my mind about them. you seem to know your stuff and have the wins to prove it haha
    btw really good work
    dillonsolumracing.weebly.com

What u use for the control arm bushings

i used to brace the torque box to the x just as you did, i now make these out of the same 3/4 tube we use for the steering column... they work great, the bolts hold the torque better, and it cuts way down on bolt hole wear issues on the chassis, 1 1/2" pieces with longer trailing arm bolts, then a little bit of grinding to get the goofy angles right, well worth the effort tho !

Yup, the "Worst front end geometry you have ever driven" Won more races in a season then many have won in a life time. Im sure Rob and Brian really appreciate the kind words.......

There was a guy in south Florida that used to put the cage tube outside of the frame but he would wrap the frame in steel so it would not tear out. We used to drill thru the frame put a top plate on the frame with the cage going thry it, weld the cage to a plate under the frame and lift it into place and weld the plate into place on the frame and then weld the top plate into the cage and frame. We started doing this after getting some frame tearing when things happened at longer tracks. The dual plating stopped the issue completley but was more work. We also drilled thru the front frame horns but welded it in differently without using 2 plates. We saw WAY to many times that the frame steel would tear out and not support the tube to just rely on the factory steel to support the cage. I also do not understand the offset on the right side A-pilar post, that creates a VERY weak spot at that point and will allow it to crush and tear the tube in a roll over, also only relying on the crush of the diameter of the tubing to hold up the top of the car (the way the dash bar is spliced in thru the A-posts) is not safe and would get kicked out of many tracks that we ran and any Nascar track. It is much stronger to put the tube from the Halo to the floor and put the dash bar in like you have the rear cross bar.
    Last edited by Egoracing; 12-23-2011 at 04:16 PM.

really? Really? Im laughing here. So, what your saying is Brian Irvine never had a car that handled well because basically you are insinuating they dont know what there doing? Hmmm, Boon super nats champion, Harris clash champion, countless weekly feature wins, Stock Car Shootout wins, a record for wins at Independence, that stands till this day. Yup sounds like they know nothing. FWIW, Rob is Woop Ass Chassis, Brians Uncle.

And Ego, I happen to agree 100% with the things you said

s€how me what you want, because i can guarantee you if there was something cobbled together it wasnt done by Woop Ass

Been building chassis for 11 years now and all are built with the same interrupted a pillar bars. I don't see a problem. I haven't looked at all modifieds, but the ones Ive seen have the bars the same way. NASCAR has their own ways and that doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBauerSS6 View Post
    Been building chassis for 11 years now and all are built with the same interrupted a pillar bars. I don't see a problem. I haven't looked at all modifieds, but the ones Ive seen have the bars the same way. NASCAR has their own ways and that doesn't make it right.
    Do you line up the top bar and bottom bar or have them offset and unbraced like pictured?

It creates a weak point and when someone got hurt the lawyers would be ALL OVER the chassis builder. Look at the links above and check others.

The biggest probelm that I see with it was the Offset pillar without support with the interupted bar, VERY weak design. You will not see an offset junction on ANY professionaly built chassis!

Talking

ego, why does anything that is not your way wrong. to be honest this is prob the best cage ive ever seen in a stock car full frame chassis. sure stock car can be a d*ck some times but he usually know's his stuff and what he's talking about, and your a d*ck all the time and know what your talking about maybe half the time, if you really had all the cars you talk about and have done all the things you say you've done you would've had to been through hundreds of cars and engines. Being a structural engineer im willing to bet this a pillar design if put under a load test would be stronger than the normal cage you would build, and this cage is alot stronger and better designed than any mod or street stock cage ive ever seen because of the bracing and bar placement that is put into this cage. so ego please get over yourself sure you know alittle bit about a race car but theres alot of people that do and i promise theres alot of people smarter than you so just because you didnt design something or tell someone how to do something doesnt mean its wrong. theres alot of different ways to do everything and thinking outside the box and trying different designs is what evolves race cars and makes them better as the yrs go on. sorry ego i just get tired of reading your post basicly bragging on yourself and telling people how awesome you are when you really aint nothing but an EGO.

thanks,
    4bangerhotrod
    Last edited by 4bangerhotrod; 01-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Default interesting

very interesting.....sure aint boring...i think the cage looks badazz,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by 4bangerhotrod View Post
    ego, why does anything that is not your way wrong. to be honest this is prob the best cage ive ever seen in a stock car full frame chassis. sure stock car can be a d*ck some times but he usually know's his stuff and what he's talking about, and your a d*ck all the time and know what your talking about maybe half the time, if you really had all the cars you talk about and have done all the things you say you've done you would've had to been through hundreds of cars and engines. Being a structural engineer im willing to bet this a pillar design if put under a load test would be stronger than the normal cage you would build, and this cage is alot stronger and better designed than any mod or street stock cage ive ever seen because of the bracing and bar placement that is put into this cage. so ego please get over yourself sure you know alittle bit about a race car but theres alot of people that do and i promise theres alot of people smarter than you so just because you didnt design something or tell someone how to do something doesnt mean its wrong. theres alot of different ways to do everything and thinking outside the box and trying different designs is what evolves race cars and makes them better as the yrs go on. sorry ego i just get tired of reading your post basicly bragging on yourself and telling people how awesome you are when you really aint nothing but an EGO.

thanks,
    4bangerhotrod
    I agree that the cage is very well built BUT the offset a pillar is a weak spot. Run your test and put that offset passenger A pillar on it the put it as a straight joint with the A pillar in line with the lower tube and see what is stronger. It is that simple.

Do you have the battery box to where you can move it up and down ? (It looks like it from the pictures ?)

I was wondering how much you would charge to fully build a 70's camaro. Put a cage in it, all the tubing and sheet metal work inside. It would be running in the renegade class at friendship motor speedway. It would basically need to be a rolling chassis. I can provide the car, and put the body on myself.
    Britton Settle #10