Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's one of the nicest hobbys I have seen by the way

Hey jeff, how about I come tig weld your next one all together! look better than those mig welds!
    2010 Dirtona Speedway IMCA Stock Track Champion

AMSoil Dealer, beckett.roy@gmail.com

But tig is sooo much stronger! And think of all the little rolls of dimes on that cage...be worth it! And btw, that weld on your upper control arm mount...wayyy too cold, didnt penetrate...just pilled up dobbles

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    how many cars have you built?

Im nearing 100. never had a weld come apart or crack ever..
    Ive built 4, but have done nothing but welded for a living. Welded everything from mild steel to stainless, to alluminum, to titanium and chrome moly. Certified in stainless and alluminum TIG and pressure stick. I'm a welding shop supervisor for one of the biggest water well drilling companies in the midwest. All I do is weld and build...build things that make building a racecar look like putting together a lego set. Everything from cranes mounted on one off pedestals mounted to 40 foot gooseneck trailers for lifting 1700 pound manifolds onto frac tanks to prototype pieces for BP and Halliburton. Metal is me and I am metal...put that cold weld under enough strain and bam...its broke. Put a good hot, flat weld in the same place and it will hold.

You may be good at what you do...but you're not the best...just tried to give advice to a fellow racer. I may be young...but I do know what the Fu$% I am doing with a welder...

Quote Originally Posted by roybeckett13j View Post
    Ive built 4, but have done nothing but welded for a living. Welded everything from mild steel to stainless, to alluminum, to titanium and chrome moly. Certified in stainless and alluminum TIG and pressure stick. I'm a welding shop supervisor for one of the biggest water well drilling companies in the midwest. All I do is weld and build...build things that make building a racecar look like putting together a lego set. Everything from cranes mounted on one off pedestals mounted to 40 foot gooseneck trailers for lifting 1700 pound manifolds onto frac tanks to prototype pieces for BP and Halliburton. Metal is me and I am metal...put that cold weld under enough strain and bam...its broke. Put a good hot, flat weld in the same place and it will hold.

You may be good at what you do...but you're not the best...just tried to give advice to a fellow racer. I may be young...but I do know what the Fu$% I am doing with a welder...
    Sorry buddy but you havent done anything I havent done. Im a union sheet metal worker by trade retired now of course. And even though I built the chassis I cant see any welds in those two pics good enough to say a thing about them.. but your the expert.

Interesting now youve built 4 cars, you told me when I was helping you that you bought that piece of junk you were racing and it was your first car bla bla bla.. also gave me some sob stories about not making enough money for a new car ever.

Good luck to you, dont worry about me. Ive managed so far without your help based off some pics, lol..

Ill give you some credit though, you were the straw that broke the camels back. spent the last two days deleting my posts on here I give up too many idiots. Im done helping everyone get faster without wasting money buying the latest fad parts.

You made me realize even though I helped you for over a year it was a waste of my time and you didnt appreciate it. thats happened too many times lately so ill be helping only those people with my cars from now on. And there wont be many of them since Im only building them for friends.

winning!

I did buy the car I was racing at the time...and it was not built right. I built three before that one, which none of them I raced. And at the time I had been out of full time work for about two years...hence why I was running a crap car.

And you can base the quality of a weld by look...what does an inspector do as soon as you lay down a bead? Look at it! You can tell immediatly if he will make you grind it out and redo it, or carry on.

And yes, I did appreciate your help! But, I made one comment about one weld...and you go all ego-maniac like Jeff always does when someone tries to tell him that's not inside his "blinders". Jesus christ man, sometimes you have to take some outside input!

I said one thing about a cold weld, which ANY welder will admit is a cold weld...and you freaked out and spouted "How many cars have you blah blah blah I have an ego problem blah" Geeze...

Beckett, are you serious? I cant believe I'm actually defending Jeff, cause he and I don't exactly see eye to eye.( I think he is an arrogant ass most of the time). but if you can see those welds under the powder coat from that distance in the pics, you have x ray eyes. As for tig being waaayy stronger than mig, you are wrong. When done correctly they have the same strength,(seeing as mild steel tig rod is er70s2, and mig wire is er70s3 or er70s6, the tensile strength is the same) only it takes waayy longer to tig weld a chassis, and some places would be very difficult to get to with a tig torch. And yes I do know what Im talking about, Im a union steamfitter with a stack of weld certs in mig, tig, and stick, on several different metals, both x ray, and destructive, and my welding is on tube, and pipe as thin as .040, and as thick as 2" wall, so I guess I know what the f#$k Im doing with a welder too.

Curt Drake
    Stock Car #55x

since we all know how Jeff deals with outside input, here is some more, way to much structure on the rh door bar, a good lick to the door and you will bend half the main cage, all those connecting bars should be a max of 1 1/4 083 and run at as close to a 45 as possible, the one going to the main front down bar looks (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near straight, that heavy frame work should stay over top of the frame rail with a lighter crush area from the main frame to the door skin... no one plans on wrecking.. but we all know how it really goes lol

busch to each his own.

Ive ran lw rs bars and replaced them every other night. Ive also ran bars this way for years and replaced nothing until the car was completely junked out and twisted up. No biggie and considering I can build my own car and or repair my own car I dont care if it does bend the main cage uprights some day.. though it will take a bigger wreck than Ive ever been in.

Roy- glad you have a job. post up some pics of the 3 cars you built and NEVER mentioned before now.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 02-21-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bushracing67 View Post
    run at as close to a 45 as possible, the one going to the main front down bar looks (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near straight

yeah near straight, lol... you guys and your x ray vision need some help. here are two more pics for you.

Last edited by stock car driver; 02-21-2012 at 08:15 AM.

thats why i said "looks" i knew that it was hard to tell from that angle, you really should try being less of a douche

thats why i said "looks" i knew that it was hard to tell from that angle, you really should try being less of a douche
    Yeah Im the dousche....

Im commenting on a chassis builders pics saying HE MUST use small tubing outside the frame, bla bla bla... And then telling him the angles are WRONG..lol.

Seriously thanks for the laugh bush I can always count on you to chime in with some stupid stuff sorry my reply explaining to you that I can cut and weld any repairs needed hurt your feelings. I couldnt have put it any nicer for you.

I did buy the car I was racing at the time...and it was not built right. I built three before that one, which none of them I raced. And at the time I had been out of full time work for about two years...hence why I was running a crap car.

And you can base the quality of a weld by look...what does an inspector do as soon as you lay down a bead? Look at it! You can tell immediatly if he will make you grind it out and redo it, or carry on.

And yes, I did appreciate your help! But, I made one comment about one weld...and you go all ego-maniac like Jeff always does when someone tries to tell him that's not inside his "blinders". Jesus christ man, sometimes you have to take some outside input!

I said one thing about a cold weld, which ANY welder will admit is a cold weld...and you freaked out and spouted "How many cars have you blah blah blah I have an ego problem blah" Geeze...
    Roy you built 3 cars in this post and 4 in the post before it, lol..

Does built to you mean bolting on the parts and running the brake lines? I thought we were talking about bare frame to race car chassis construction here!!

again you are so full of your self, it must hurt to be so f@#$king perfect, you are such an @$$bag i cant believe half the ignorant (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) you say to people on here, i never said "must" anything, i don't really give a rats@$$ what you do, just stop being such a douche bag

I can't believe all of you are ripping Jeff for showing pics of some of his builds. Those of us who aren't "Metal Gods" appreciate him sharing.

again you are so full of your self, it must hurt to be so f@#$king perfect, you are such an @$$bag i cant believe half the ignorant (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) you say to people on here, i never said "must" anything, i don't really give a rats@$$ what you do, just stop being such a douche bag

Sorry you said SHOULD be not MUST be, lol...

Again sorry to upset you so much, I cant sugar coat it anymore for you... It appears you do care what I do or you wouldnt have posted, lol... as usual you thought you were right and it should be your way BUT Im a dousch since you dont like my explanation of why it isnt the way you think it should be..

Quote Originally Posted by westwolfone View Post
    I can't believe all of you are ripping Jeff for showing pics of some of his builds. Those of us who aren't "Metal Gods" appreciate him sharing.
    Ive already removed most of my pics. sorry Ill be removing the rest.

The idiots win.

I can think of much better ways to spend my time since Im retired and dont have to earn a cent than putting up with their b.s on here.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Roy you built 3 cars in this post and 4 in the post before it, lol..

Does built to you mean bolting on the parts and running the brake lines? I thought we were talking about bare frame to race car chassis construction here!!

Lets count here...I build three before this one...one plus three is four!

And I build my I stock , a hobby stock for a guy I used to race with (black and , another hobby stock that was close to the first one...aaaaaand a pure stock/enduro for my brother.

and yes, built from the ground up...not just adding a part here and there.

I have pics of the enduro and my old Istock, but the two hobbies Ill have to look for some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Racing View Post
    Beckett, are you serious? I cant believe I'm actually defending Jeff, cause he and I don't exactly see eye to eye.( I think he is an arrogant ass most of the time). but if you can see those welds under the powder coat from that distance in the pics, you have x ray eyes. As for tig being waaayy stronger than mig, you are wrong. When done correctly they have the same strength,(seeing as mild steel tig rod is er70s2, and mig wire is er70s3 or er70s6, the tensile strength is the same) only it takes waayy longer to tig weld a chassis, and some places would be very difficult to get to with a tig torch. And yes I do know what Im talking about, Im a union steamfitter with a stack of weld certs in mig, tig, and stick, on several different metals, both x ray, and destructive, and my welding is on tube, and pipe as thin as .040, and as thick as 2" wall, so I guess I know what the f#$k Im doing with a welder too.

Curt Drake
    Stock Car #55x

The one I was refering to was in the pics where it was during construction...before coating.

Reason why tig is stronger is the time you take tig welding...you have to do it exactly right. A mig you can get to weld a little cold or a little hot, or with a little too much wire or a touch short on wire.

Lets count here...I build three before this one...one plus three is four!

And I build my I stock , a hobby stock for a guy I used to race with (black and , another hobby stock that was close to the first one...aaaaaand a pure stock/enduro for my brother.

and yes, built from the ground up...not just adding a part here and there.

I have pics of the enduro and my old Istock, but the two hobbies Ill have to look for some pics.
    "I did buy the car I was racing at the time...and it was not built right. I built three before that one, which none of them I raced. And at the time I had been out of full time work for about two years...hence why I was running a crap car."

lol oops, now youve got a 3rd story going all in one thread..