Default Rules of thumb!!!!

I read in a previous thread(odd how a single thread has so many perspectives.)
    Idle Hands Are The Devil's Workshop
    My mind suddenly went to thinking what is the proper amount of toe in/out to adjust your vehicles front end geometry.
    I realize on circle tracks wieght generally shifts from left to right & back but
    I caution against running any toe cause you may hit a pot hole!
    Remember Jack be Nimble, Jack Be Quick
    or maybe I thinking of the wrong rhyme.
    I have read toe is used to slow a vehicle on entry if this is the situation then why are the brakes used in conjunction with the rotors ?

Quote Originally Posted by croston71 View Post
    I read in a previous thread(odd how a single thread has so many perspectives.)
    Idle Hands Are The Devil's Workshop
    My mind suddenly went to thinking what is the proper amount of toe in/out to adjust your vehicles front end geometry.
    I realize on circle tracks wieght generally shifts from left to right & back but
    I caution against running any toe cause you may hit a pot hole!
    Remember Jack be Nimble, Jack Be Quick
    or maybe I thinking of the wrong rhyme.
    I have read toe is used to slow a vehicle on entry if this is the situation then why are the brakes used in conjunction with the rotors ?
    Interesting question. I always thought toe was used to get more of the tire in contact with the surface under extreme loads? Ackerman effect plays into this also and I THINK it has to do with the range of motion and the effect it has on toe? Only way I can see toe playing a roll in stopping is due to more tire pattern on the ground which would cause more resistance. Oh my head hurts now! I am going to go lay down.

I have always looked at toe as a way to compensate for not perfect bump steer. I never want to have a toe in situation there fore I set toe where it will be neutral at max toe in. Ideally I want neutral all the time. On dirt that is very tough to get.

I think I was mistaken I was actually thinking of caster camber not toe. My bad!

I adjust caster to my driver, whether she wants more or less feel to the steering. I adjust camber to get the most even tire wear. Tire temp can get you close but tire wear is the most important.

You bring up some really good questions. I'm thinking the college boyz should have all the answers but I think I'll jest sit back re evaluate my life and determine how my toes play into this. I'm thinking more than 5 toes on one foot would give you too much toe in.

Maple Park, IL. Home of Sycamore Speedway!!

Toe in toe out, or how ever... Just don't step on any on your way to the top!

If her toes get cold in the kitchen, have her sit next to ya on the sofa with her feet between the cushions.
    Scott Bloomchrist... The Lord, and Ruler of DIRT!!

"Hope everybody appreciated that ass kicking"
    -Scott Bloomquist

Phil

that 0 car has been in tow of
    the 20 and 71 car a lot

Screw the brakes!......throw them out of the question.
    Think of, where do you want your RF during weight shift.
    Look at the travel of you LR and find the balance!
    Get your scales and jack out and, see where how your RF acts when raising/lowering LR.
    You want to turn well, while on the gas........weight shift can put you in position to get on the gas.
    Last edited by wallcrusher; 12-14-2011 at 07:17 PM.