Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default spring loaded trailing arm

has anyone ever tried a spring loaded trailing arm.. seen it on e-bay heres what it describe made spring loaded adjustable rear lower trailing arm that fits ALL 78-87 G body GM cars(monte carlo, cutlass, 442, regal, el camino, grand prix, etc.). This is stock dimensions as is and the spring loaded portion allows it to flex up to 1in. shorter. I used this style arm on the left rear of my IMCA hobby stock car so the rear differential would pivot and the wheelbase would become about an inch shorter to help the car corner faster and smoother(worked soo well that at times it was pulling the left front wheel off the ground up to a foot high). There is an adjustment inside the arm to preload the spring so you can control how much and when the arm starts to move. In my past experience after I found the right setpoint for the preload of the spring I "boxed in" the lower portion by welding a piece of flat steel on the bottom so it made the arm stronger and hid the "goods" inside the arm. When installed I had the spring loaded portion of the arm facing forward on the car and the mounting point on the car frame hid the spring loaded portion of the arm from sight of the techs and others. This is a MUST HAVE for anybody running G body racecar chasis' that use stock trailing arms if they want the extra advantages that others don't have. Anybody who has been around dirt oval track racing knows that setup/handling through the corners is KEY to winning races and this arm gives a huge advantage over the competitors

check it at http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-body-sprin...item2317794929 what u guys think

You fool,,,never give up your secrets,,NEVER!
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

LOL That's what I was thinking.

I know of a guy who was running these around here, and there seems to be something to it as they ran quite well with it. Dont know if it was the arms, or just their program but seemed to pick up some speed.

Default think its great, but

what did you use for a spring,,,,,,,,, valve spring,,,, ?????? spring out of a pull bar, ????

Press spring

i think il just stick to true mechanical grip....

Dont think this is the trick?

it seems to be another variable to tune to,I prefer monoballs {spherical bushings} JMO....

Default Trailing arm

Roller valve spring is what we use.. With a bolt in the end to set preload..
    Clean Passes saves you Money!

hmmm would love to try one, but thats kinda a steep price for me, esp under the Obama admin. lol

Wow. I would love to race a track where these would get overlooked in tech.Must not tech to much. Wish our track was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by turner View Post
    Wow. I would love to race a track where these would get overlooked in tech.Must not tech to much. Wish our track was like that.
    No you don't.

DLM's tried these 10-15 years ago...You see how many are still using them...Zip...Does this give you an idea? LOL

Anyone personally try one of these? Interested in how it worked for you?

Stay Away As the track conditions change so does your travel on these so its trying to hit a moving target

First off I am the guy selling the genuine proven arms for your cars. I have storing loaded and bushing set up. Another not is you cannot use a roller valve spring. Why? Well it's the LS motor that can go into the 600s and that is not enough. Second the OD is too big and noticeable. You'll need some 2" tubes and easy to catch. Third the travel is not even an inch and the goes solid and instant loss of traction. Fourth they have to work in certain directions. I've been using these for a long time. Only one spring manufactures can make the springs needed for size and rate. Guess what I'm that guy. So message me for the USA made go fast parts. I also have bushing that work really well for side bite and drive. $50 each.
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Also the one pictured is for the left lower so if you're running any type of angle you will LOSE DRIVE! This will also loosen car on throttle and tighten off. Afco had a spring rod out that was used in asphalt cars for a while but we found BETTER ways to control this. Great idea but it is not the BEST route. Again I have bushings about 3 weeks out that are OEM replacement and you can change to different durometers. 30-50-70 30/90/30 for lowers.
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Tell us O'Great One.......You are the only man in the world who can create springs that work "in certain directions".What direction do all other springs work in?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver50x View Post
    Tell us O'Great One.......You are the only man in the world who can create springs that work "in certain directions".What direction do all other springs work in?
    Sorry driver50x I didn't specify that you can't find a company without spending a fortune on set up costs, mass production, and the machine capable of producing a high rate spring that is needed and the smallest OD needed along with travel. It's not out there unless you plan on dropping a few thousand in set up costs and mass production.