Default 2.3 clutch issue

we were runing a flywheel that was a lot thicker than the new one i just bought. dont know what the thick one was off of but now with the thinner one we cannot get the clutch to release all the way. we have shimmed the pivot ball out as much as i dare and it just barely releases and the throw out fork is all the way forward against the front of the bell housing clutch hole. i am not sure what is different about the parts we have or what we need to change but would appreciate any help anyone can give us. we changed flywheels because the thick one was all hogged out on the back for weight reduction and the rules are now 20 lb flywheels now and we had to buy a new one from milford motorsports. our throw out fork has a slight curve forward to it but i dont know if that is right or if it should be fairly straight. the trans i the sr4 aluminum 4 speed with the shifter in the top of the tailshaft. it always worked fine before and now it just isnt quite right. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! thank you

You need to come up with a spacer that will fit over the imput shaft OD and place it between the throwout bearing and the clutch pressure plate. There may be a different throw out bearing available that will work but i can't say offhand.

Is there a trans/clutch shop near by that you can ask about this problem?

I'm sure you're not the first person to have this problem.

70's chevy 6 cylinder truck throw out bearing works. I have seen guys weld 2 together also.

there are also 2 different lengths of pivot balls..you may have the short one.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

How do you know which pivot ball you have and what car do you look for to get the longer pivot ball

Short pivot ball will be about 2 in. long to bottom of nut,long will be about 3 - 3 1/2 in. to bottom of nut.You can cut the short ball shaft and weld in a piece of pipe to get the length you need.Another fix is to cut the throw out arm where it bends forward.Cut a small V notch on each side,just enough that when you bend the arm straight the notches will be closed so you can weld them back together.DO NOT HEAT THE ARM TO BEND IT!!! The arm is made of tempered steel,it will bend enough to get to straight.Weld each side good,I have done over a dozen and never had a failure.Ford does make several arm configurations,forward,straight,bent backward.Finding the right one can be a headache,but they do exist.

put in a longer pivot ball that mcleod clutch makes for mustangs that is adjustable and that fixed the problem. thank you for everyones help. just super happy the clutch works right now. with a 12 year old driving it you just cant take any chances and i sure dont want to put him in a position that might get him hurt.