Default motor chewing up starters

we have the stock spacer between block too we have tried different starters such as ranger pinto mustang tried different flywheels such as aluminum stock style , steel stock style, racing style and was told its cause the head is shaved to intake bolts and takes alot to crank over do to compression and use a high torque got a esslinger high torque and did the same thing any other ideas stumped ???

Default read

was told to aling bore it but i dont know any ideas to try on a buddys car and sick of push starting it motor runs fine not problems with it just starter

Default align plate

make sure plate is out far enough to hold starter in align. not much area on starter to fit inside plate for alignment

Default read

changed plates tried with and without to no help

Are the gears chewed up now? I also has to space my stater out with the starter spacer plate to get it to work right.

pilot Their is a guy in your area that can solve this he us to to build for me and his heads made tons of power his car # is 15!!! I think you have seen the back of it a few times

One other thing comes to mind, I had a starter that because of a dumb wiring mistake would keep the solonoid energized while the alternator built the feild. That would keep the starter running a extra 2-3 seconds after the motor started. It ate starters up fast.

Sounds to me his crank shaft centerline needs to be checked

changed flywheels so all new teeth everytime trying a new flywheel its apond pushing the button automatic starts to sound horrible so isnt wiring but also tried to rewire mini 69 he was stumped starter has stock spacer and have tried different ones C10 i think you may be right

centerline of crank or thrush baering wore out or alingboring ??? am i on the right track ???

Pilot,is it possible the bellhousing was damaged in some way.If the starter is not mounting square to the flywheel,could cause major problems.If the crank is out of alignment you would have toasted the motor a long time ago.Make sure that the starter gear is plunging deep enough into the ring gear to get a solid bite.Measure from the spacer plate to the far side of the ring gear,then measure the starter with the gear fully extended from the end of the gear to the mounting flanges.The numbers should be close to the same.Good luck.

Default read

tried a 199 and a 214 trans different bell but wasnt as bad with 199 lasted at least three starts before it chewed it up to not useable and the starter gear isnbt meeting the flywheel or it wouldnt be sounding horrible dont really make since took the trans and starter and spacer to another car and works fine and what we got from the area biggest hp guro is its got to much compression so we did what he said and got a high torque esslinger starter and didnt work ither

Get an extra bellhousing,holesaw a big hole in line with the starter drive.Bolt it to the block.Take the spring out of a starter so you can leave the drive extended.Now you can see how the drive meshes with the flywheel to see if that's an issue.
    Make sure you have a seperate ignition toggle switch and a pushbutton starter switch to get it spinning before you give it spark.

Billet crank? Sounds like the end bell of the crank is too thick or something is between the crank and flywheel.Measure from the face of the aluminum plate to the ring gear,then do the same on another car.The measurements should be within a 1/16 or so.I can't imagine a thrust bearing being worn that badly and the motor still runs.

Default starter chewed

Quote Originally Posted by Milford Motorsports View Post
    Billet crank? Sounds like the end bell of the crank is too thick or something is between the crank and flywheel.Measure from the face of the aluminum plate to the ring gear,then do the same on another car.The measurements should be within a 1/16 or so.I can't imagine a thrust bearing being worn that badly and the motor still runs.
    i had similar problem and found out it was matching up the tranny with the bell housing ,mustang bell h with mustang tranny, pintos tranny with pinto b housing it made the diff with mine ,also check thickness of the flywheel at the bolt pattern , good luck