Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Waycross and Golden Isles Announce Two Major Events February 11th and 12th, 2012

Waycross and Golden Isles Announce Two Major Events February 11th and 12th, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MEDIA CONTACT INFO:
    Brad Byrd: (865) 919-5550 / Email: bbyrd7@hotmail.com
    Mike Carter: (912) 449-3949
    Tommy Banks (912) 288-1274
    Chad Starling: (912) 550-3662

Waycross, GA / Brunswick, GA (December 29th, 2011) Waycross Motor Speedway in Waycross, Georgia and Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick, GA will host two major paying events as a part of southern Georgia and Florida Speedweeks, February 11th and 12, 2012.

The 'Battle In The Swamp' (Waycross - Feb. 11) and ‘The Super Bowl of Racing VIII’ (Golden Isles - Feb 12th) will each feature one-day, fifty-lap, $10,000 to win Super Late Model main events. Each event will run primarily under the rules of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series but there may be a few twists with regards to the racing format and the tire rule may differ just a bit.

These events will be co-promoted, hosted and managed by recent Southern All Stars Dirt Racing Series Director Brad Byrd of the Knoxville, Tennessee area along with a crew of veteran dirt racing officials.

A $2,000 ‘Champion Takes All’ points fund will be offered as an additional bonus which will be paid to the driver with the highest average finish from both nights racing, so it’s conceivable that a driver could take home a total of $22,000 for a couple nights work.

The Saturday, February 11th event will run at the Mike Carter and Gary Johns co-promoted and co-owned 4/10 mile red clay oval, Waycross Motor Speedway. Mike Carter stated; “We are very excited about this race because we’ve wanted to do something like this for some time now and we’re planning on making it an annual event.” We are also excited to have Brad and his team helping us to promote the event. We wanted it to be promoted and run in a professional manner and we know they’ll do a great job for us.” There will also be a full practice on Friday, February 10th at Waycross.

The Sunday event, which will run on Sunday afternoon, will be held at the 4/10 mile Tommy Banks promoted Golden Isles Speedway in nearby Brunswick, Georgia. "We are very excited about our partnership with Waycross Speedway" stated Banks. "I think this will make for a very exciting one-two punch for the fans and even though day racing is considered by many to be a thing of the past , I wanted to allow these drivers plenty of time to make it to East Bay the next day and I’m also reminded of the year Earl Pearson Jr. passed Jimmy Owens and Scott Bloomquist on the last lap a few years ago during a day race here and I’m hoping we can re-capture that same level of excitement this time around”

“I am extremely excited about this opportunity” stated Byrd, who just a few weeks ago announced his departure from Southern All Stars. “I have had several offers since announcing I was leaving SAS and have been humbled to be quite honest with you. I am considering some of those but when the opportunity to promote these events at Waycross and Golden Isles came along it was something I simply could not pass up” as Byrd continued.

In addition to Super Late Models on Saturday night, WMS will offer a $1,000 to win, thirty-lap event for The Limited Sportsman Division and a twenty-lap, $600 to win event for the Pure Stock Division.

On Sunday, GIS will offer a $1,000 to win, thirty-lap event for The Limited Sportsman Division as the only support class offered so the event will be an all Late Model show.

WMS gates for the Friday night practice will open at 4:00pm eastern. Track gates will open on Saturday at 12:00 noon with the driver’s meeting slated for 6:00pm and hot laps shortly thereafter.

GIS gates will open on Sunday at 12:00 noon with the driver’s meeting slated for 1:30pm and hot laps shortly thereafter.

Adult General Admission for both tracks will be $25 with Pit Passes set at $40.

The Waycross website is located at www.WayXSpeedway.com; the track phone is (912)-449-3949 for Mike Carter or Gary Johns; Chad Starling can be reached at (912) 550-3662 or Brad Byrd can be reached at (865) 919-5550; the GPS/Mailing address for the track is 2101 Knight Avenue, Waycross, GA 31501.

Drivers and fans can find out additional info for Golden Isles by logging on to the GIS website at: www.GoldenIslesSpeedway.com; the track phone is (912)-288-1274 for Tommy Banks or Brad Byrd can be reached at (865) 919-5550; the GPS/Mailing address for the track is 101 Speedway Drive, Waynesville, GA 31566.

Will someone please post the names of drivers will be racing at these tracks as time comes near? I know it is early to ask this chore, but driver advertisement brings people to the race tracks! Butts in the stands makes promoters and track owners real happy! JMO

We will be posting drivers names as we get confirmation over the next few weeks. We can tell you that many of the LOLDS drivers find these events appealing for a number of reasons. Running their rules, single day 10ks at two good tracks not too far from the beaten path as they make their trek to FLA.

It will be good.

what bout conflict of interest with the race that Screven Motor Speedway already has planned and has had planned for months now?
    Slinging a Rod isn't always a bad thing!

well screven is a woo points paying event, saturday night at waycross is an open night for lucas oil drivers and sunday at GIS is an open day for everyone and sort of a tradition in most of the big
    names hit the super bowl before speedweeks in florida
    21- The Professor *47 - The Tallahassee Terror *58 -The Magicman
    If they are in the race, Lets face it, the battle is for 2nd !
    Facebook page ,Florida Dirt Late Model Posse

Quote Originally Posted by rambo19 View Post
    what bout conflict of interest with the race that Screven Motor Speedway already has planned and has had planned for months now?
    We feel each will do fine. The Screven race is a two-day $20,000 to win, so some guys will likely start there and stay if they do well and travel to Waycross if they're outside looking in. Some drivers had rather do the single day 10s. The fans will have a choice and the tracks are far enough apart that they can draw from separate fan bases. This race has also been planned for months now.

Lookin' forward to it.

My mind may be made up with this news. Since the Late Model powers decided to step all over each other, that frees me up to go to Ocala that weekend for the USAC sprints.
    43 races this year.
    Tulsa Expo- 5, Volusia- 3, Bubba Raceway- 3
    Dillon Speedway- 1, Myrtle Beach Speedway-1, Hickory Speedway- 1
    Southern National- 1, Lincoln Speedway-2, Williams Grove Speedway-2, Indiana State Fairgrounds-1
    Anderson (Indiana) Speedway-1, Indianapolis Motor Speedway- 1
    Bloomington Speedway-1, Lawrenceburg Speedway-1
    Kokomo Speedway- 1, Port Royal-1, Limaland- 1
    Eldora- 2, Knoxville- 6, Oskaloosa-2, Attica-2, Wayne County-1

Quote Originally Posted by slick01 View Post
    My mind may be made up with this news. Since the Late Model powers decided to step all over each other, that frees me up to go to Ocala that weekend for the USAC sprints.
    SCREVEN WILL BE A BATTLE GROUND FOR SPRINTS AS THE ASCoC ARE THERE,

& THERE WILL BE PA POSSEE & WoO THERE AS WELL AS THEIR CONTRACTURAL OBLIGATIONS HAVEN`T STARTED YET.

$5K EACH NIGHT FRI & SAT
    Feb 11-13 2016 Winter Freeze VI World Of Outlaws Super Late Models
    Open Wheel Modifieds & More tba
    SLM & OWM Chassis & Mfg CHAMPIONSHIP CUP
    SYLVANIA GA www.ScrevenMotorSports.com

will definately make the GIS race, not sure about saturdaY YET

Love Screven, but Waycross scheduled 1st. They should have worked something out and still could if Waycross or Screven decided to run Friday only. Guess that would be a p!ssing match though where the fans are the ones who lose regardless.

Good luck to Waycross, the cars & fans will be at Screven.

Screven`s date was posted in 2010.......

Easier to get to, more racing, BEST food , and a few other 'TBSA`s'..

Promoter just got nominated for Promoter of the year .....he`s ONLY been there 16 years..

and will be there when all the rest move on .

No drama, just great atmosphere, great racing, great money.
    Feb 11-13 2016 Winter Freeze VI World Of Outlaws Super Late Models
    Open Wheel Modifieds & More tba
    SLM & OWM Chassis & Mfg CHAMPIONSHIP CUP
    SYLVANIA GA www.ScrevenMotorSports.com

waycross has had their date on website all year last year since franky quit with golden isles.
    nothing against screven, but only mostly outlaw drivers show up there lastyear when the rest was at golden isles, when both events got rained out and fogged out. both places do fine,, most of the WOO drivers be there in screven and most of the LOLDS drivers and UMP will make waycross and golden isles. then you go some driver waiting until florida races,, happens every year. also waycross is widing the track and shorting it up in the corners, check out the website. waycross also will have a open practice night,,,i also agree ,,,yes it would be relly super great to see all these tracks work together ,and the fans would have been able to see the best of all divisions of super latemodel drivers at three great tracks at one time. it would also be smart to get dates the week after speedweeks in florida,, the weather is usually a little better during that time,,, here in south ga its usually rain, frezzzing arse off or both in feb ,,, but once in a while its good nice weather iam praying for that. iam plan on seeing races in waycross and golden isles due to the closenest to home. i wish all the tracks the best and great turnouts, we need it to keep super latemodel racing alive in south ga. and the tracks to continue to stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by slick01 View Post
    I couldnt agree with you more Slick, unfortunately its the fans who suffer, but I will be at Screven. Redd has got to be the best promoter around this area.
    Chris Madden, 5 times Southern Nationals Champion!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HighMaintenance2007 View Post
    Screven`s date was posted in 2010.......

For 2011's event, yeah, not 2012 for that weekend. Here is the 1st press release from Screven's site itself:

World of Outlaws Late Model Series Announces 2012 Season Will Kick Off Feb. 9-11 At Screven Motor Speedway
    Friday, 01 April 2011 22:38

Get the rest here: http://screvenmotorspeedway.com/inde...th=4&year=2011

Here is people discussing Waycross on 4m on March 16th (See Slick's post):

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?208...light=waycross

Once again, not bashing Screven, the place is great, but I think this was a case of 2 tracks jumping all over GIS closing at the time (Cause no one would have scheduled against GIS otherwise) and maybe something could have been worked out of the 2

while i was gonna pull the triple that weekend and hit up wayx fri night but they already cancelled that race date and moved open practice for friday, so now imma hit up screven sat and gis sunday!

That event sounds like a pretty good one at screven, but as a fan, as far away
    as i am, it would need to be a whole weekend event to enjoy.
    I definately want to hit screven this year, maybe for the southern nationals.
    Both venues will do well in my opinion,and both will get alot of cars.
    WOO cars at screven, many lucas guys at waycross.
    With that in mind, I will probably hit waycross sat night and golden isles sunday,
    i think the more locasl guys we normally follow will probably hit screven friday night for
    the NLMS race then the unsanctioned 10 k race at waycross sat night, then GIS on sunday.
    All in all a very exciting time !

with big teams heading to florida for two whole weeks of racing, why would any team with good sense travel to a couple of motor killing half miles in waycross and gis where they are liable to hand grenade their engines before they even get to florida. yeah we keep hearing the tracks are shortened or are going to be shortened, but anybody with any real sense of what toll those two tracks take on engines know that isn't gonna make much difference anyway.
    i dont think that the waycross race will draw many travelers at all especially with a 20 grand to win race at screven on the schedule already and it might even be a long shot that the waycross race will even happen. seems to me that there is something stinky in the mix like there are some folks trying to go against the screven deal and i just dont see many traveling fans go to waycross on their way to florida, and for that matter after two nights in screven and two weeks ahead of them in florida golden isles might not draw anywhere close to the cars that some people are thinking and fans, well that is yet to be seen but it just appears to be way to much stuff going on that conflicts with travel, costs and the chance that teams may lose engines and equipment before they even get to florida where points races are on the line. this whole thing is just making it tough for the fans and racers and i wonder who is really behind the curtain of putting on these races in waycross and gis? seems like a mystery promoter who is using some puppets to pull their strings
    whodunnit?

"I don't know Deek Tracy, why don't you ask Sherlock Holmes"

Quote Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
    with big teams heading to florida for two whole weeks of racing, why would any team with good sense travel to a couple of motor killing half miles in waycross and gis where they are liable to hand grenade their engines before they even get to florida. yeah we keep hearing the tracks are shortened or are going to be shortened, but anybody with any real sense of what toll those two tracks take on engines know that isn't gonna make much difference anyway.
    i dont think that the waycross race will draw many travelers at all especially with a 20 grand to win race at screven on the schedule already and it might even be a long shot that the waycross race will even happen. seems to me that there is something stinky in the mix like there are some folks trying to go against the screven deal and i just dont see many traveling fans go to waycross on their way to florida, and for that matter after two nights in screven and two weeks ahead of them in florida golden isles might not draw anywhere close to the cars that some people are thinking and fans, well that is yet to be seen but it just appears to be way to much stuff going on that conflicts with travel, costs and the chance that teams may lose engines and equipment before they even get to florida where points races are on the line. this whole thing is just making it tough for the fans and racers and i wonder who is really behind the curtain of putting on these races in waycross and gis? seems like a mystery promoter who is using some puppets to pull their strings
    Well I know johnathon davenport is hitting both and EPJ to golden isles, so I think your going to find that list grow.