Default painting aluminum

are u able to paint aluminum sheets any color u want i wanna do a florence green but i dont want it to chip if i hem it or get in a wreck so any ideas would be cool thanks

you need to prep it like you would any other paint job. sanding it enough to scuff it gives the new paint something to stick to. last time i painted over prepainted aluminum without sanding the new paint came off with a power washer..lol

We have painted many of our cars, typically mill finish aluminum. Sand it, prime it, paint it, if not you will loose paint.

We did a lime time green car a few years back and are doing it again this year, hard to get a cool different color to pop with a wrap, and paint is not any more $$$

Best way to go is get unpainted aluminum powder coated or wrap it with the color you like. If you paint the aluminum and then hem, it will break the paint. The paint will also break if you get a sharp dent or try to hammer out almost any dent. Have been doing autodody repair for 35 years, painting is not the way to go unless you will not be getting any dents or wrinkles in your car. Yea good luck with that. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrackchamp4x View Post
    Best way to go is get unpainted aluminum powder coated or wrap it with the color you like. If you paint the aluminum and then hem, it will break the paint. The paint will also break if you get a sharp dent or try to hammer out almost any dent. Have been doing autodody repair for 35 years, painting is not the way to go unless you will not be getting any dents or wrinkles in your car. Yea good luck with that. jmo
    like OTC has said be sure and do all the bending before you paint. I didnt have any issue w/ it chipping off when mine got bent i did use a base coat clear coat

done it a couple of times with just a light wetsand over prepainted aluminum, seemed to work just fine ( remember, its only a racecar, not something your gonna sell on a barret auction) pounding out dents seemed to go pretty good without chipping, but then , i'm a cheap SOB and i'm definatly not a body man, so i didn't put any hardener in the paint! ;)

like OTC has said be sure and do all the bending before you paint. I didnt have any issue w/ it chipping off when mine got bent i did use a base coat clear coat