Default crate motor parts

what kind of low drag fans are out there and other item for crate engines? i think i seen lastyear where cv products made the best fan but i cant remember? could you run a electric fan? and for fuel pumps and regulator what psi fuel should you use? read earlyer where people say it makes more power with a high psi pump and regulator then is dose with just a 6-8lb pump? what is the best fuel to run? also heard that ms 109 made crazy power over other vp fuels?

Electric fans don't work and many have spent $1,000's trying them. Run a true GM style metal fan and 1:1 pulleys. High PSI pumps dont work on gas because it will foam the fuel in the bowls when it enters. Go by your carb builders specs for pressure and fuel system. We have been fast qualifier and won races with a stock holley diaphram pump at 7psi. Any oxygenated fuel will make more power than regular style fuel but they are not legal at some tracks, also running a higher octane number that needed will cost you more power than you would believe, the engine only needs about 90 octane.

after many hours of dyno an track time bill hendern found that cv made a better fan for crate,..not sure of part number,..steve could tell ya..or cv be happy to make ya happy too im sure

I'm running a high angle degree fan from a Sprint cup team. Its a ford and took some modification. Picked it up off of Ebay. That fan pushes air like I have never felt or seen in my life.

Default electric fan

I've run a electric fan for several years on 602,604,355,406 chevys with no problem. It cost a little extra to do but I felt like it helped with power. The 406 is a modified, I don't know if it would stay cool in a late model or not? I've always wondered How much hp we might be gaining by this, ego can you help, if ya can ill t pm the setup we are using!

Wren Goodman
    Blackmagic Racecars

Quote Originally Posted by wrengoodman114 View Post
    I've run a electric fan for several years on 602,604,355,406 chevys with no problem. It cost a little extra to do but I felt like it helped with power. The 406 is a modified, I don't know if it would stay cool in a late model or not? I've always wondered How much hp we might be gaining by this, ego can you help, if ya can ill t pm the setup we are using!

Wren Goodman
    Blackmagic Racecars
    On the dyno a 604 looses about 20hp with a GM style an on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    On the dyno a 604 looses about 20hp with a GM style an on it.
    You mean the 4-blade 19" deal?
    Is there a better alternative (from an HP loss standpoint) that provides comparable cooling characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    You mean the 4-blade 19" deal?
    Is there a better alternative (from an HP loss standpoint) that provides comparable cooling characteristics?
    The largest issues are to use something that cools, Crate motors are the worst motors I have dealt with to cool. Bill Hendren posted many times to use teh GM style fan because you can finish the race running one with a dirty radiator.

Generally we will use a 15" 4 blade fan (with a good shroud) in the spring and fall when the outside air temps are cool. In the Summer we have switched to using an 18" CV Products fan with 2 blades cut off (with a good fan shroud), which we have found actually cools better than the 4 blade. On a pulley system with little to no slippage, the 15" fan will usually draw about 5hp off the engine at the rear tires. The 18" 2 blade fan will also only draw 5hp from the engine at the rear tires, which is significantly less than 18" & 19" 4 blade fans, and smaller 6 blade fans.
    Steve Hendren
    Hendren Racing Engines
    1310 US HWY 221 North
    Rutherfordton, NC 28139
    (828)-286-0780

hendrenracing@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/hendren.racingengines
    https://www.facebook.com/HendrenRacingEnginesInc
    Certified Engine Builder for: NeSmith, RUSH, SECA, RUSH Sportsman Modified Series.