Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bbc

Default Bbc

I'm considering having a big block chevy built for my late model. My engine builder is a huge fan of big blocks. I'm not sure if the extra weight will hurt the handling too much. Anyone run a bbc in there car?

A couple thing to consider. #1 will it fit in your car? Also your gonna want to make spacers for your mid plate to take advantage of engine setback and get more of the weight behind the center line of the front suspension. The reason I say fit is because I know somebody that had both a gen x and a rayburn and it wouldn't fit in the gen x

I know a guy who ran a Zobel Scurve car years ago. He ran a aluminum BBC and had nothing but trouble with it. It had alot of universals in the steering shaft and headers were hard to get. But everyone used to run them in the 1970 and 1980's pretty much. I wouldnt do it but it would be pretty cool! Post pictures if you do it.

Not to sound stupid but why? Just because an engine builder wants to isn't a big reason to me. Weight and placement is always a big concern and with the torque and horsepower numbers from the more typical powerplants with less weight it seems to get me back to why real fast.
    Last edited by hpmaster; 01-08-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hpmaster View Post
    Not to sound stupid but why? Just because an engine builder wants to isn't a big reason to me. Weight and placement is always a big concern and with the torque and horsepower numbers from the more typical powerplants with less weight it seems to get me back to why real fast.
    I agree 100%.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I also agree with MB. Why? You can get more hp than you can hook up with a SBC and you do not have a 65 lb crank that you're having to spin up....People ran flat heads in the 50's, the fast guys were on 23* heads in the 80's, things change, why mess with it and all the headaches?? IMO

Yeah, small block is the way to go. If you want more torque, build a big displacement small block, 420/430/etc. weight savings, availability of spare parts, on and on, many reasons to stick with small block.

Quote Originally Posted by dualdj1 View Post
    Yeah, small block is the way to go. If you want more torque, build a big displacement small block, 420/430/etc. weight savings, availability of spare parts, on and on, many reasons to stick with small block.
    I agree. Find a good dirt motor builder who can tell you what he can do with certain sbc heads and a ballpark price for the motor. I would look around and find the best set of good used heads you can afford. An honest guy will let you get them checked out before you lay out the bucks. I run 415 inch 18 degree Brodix motors and wet sumps. Truth is I can run ok if I set up the car right and by July it's so dry slick I can't use over 200 of the 690hp anyways. I get them freshened at 1300 laps and change plugs every 10 nights. No I aint a big boy but every once in a while I surprise them big boys.
    Last edited by hpmaster; 01-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Put that BBC in a Vintage car and go have some fun!

I agree with the above! Huge inch SBCs can be built now days and tons lighter. But here is the biggie unless you just hit the lotto.......Price a true mean sbc...then price a BBC that will keep up with it!

Edge engines experimented with a BBC last year at Port Royal I believe. That big Dude made more than 1000HP!!! Now having said that I see the Pro's and Con's, the weight and cost issues, but I wonder if a big cube BBC might live longer at less RPM than a wilder SBC??? Maybe more expense up front for the BBC, but maybe over the lifetime could be a savings with longevity. May not need to build a 1000 HP, but just enough to strike a balance. That Edge built engine car won a few races too. So maybe something to at least look at. JMO
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

Default Port Royal

I saw that big block run at Port Royal against other very high end small block cars and they couldn't keep up with it. That thing was wicked fast down the staights. Still agree though, small block would be the way to go 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by racer1355inpa View Post
    I saw that big block run at Port Royal against other very high end small block cars and they couldn't keep up with it. That thing was wicked fast down the staights. Still agree though, small block would be the way to go 99% of the time.
    What sort of track is Port Royal? Are there any videos on youtube of the BBC car running? Whose car was it in? Thanks
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

Quote Originally Posted by F22 RAPTOR View Post
    What sort of track is Port Royal? Are there any videos on youtube of the BBC car running? Whose car was it in? Thanks
    Port is a high banked 1/2 mile clay oval in PA. I don't know of any videos and not sure of the driver and car owners name.

I have ran them on and off for years. Now if I was building both all aluminum brand new I would go with the sbc. The reason I always used them was cost, I could put 3k in a big block and keep up with 75% of the big dollar engines. And just like F22 mentioned I would only turn them 7k rpm to make them live. The bbc loves to eat valve's so if you would decide to try it keep cam lift below .700" and replace valve's and springs around 750 laps.

Call Chris at Edge Racing Engines (814) 525-1355. He'll tell ya what you need to know. Chris and Stacy are good people they will help you out with whatever you need.

If I remember correctly there are videos on youtube of Gary Beward from Port Royal but I can't remember. Here is the Dyno run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2JEOyUI0zU

I believe Ed Powell bas been putting these in his car for Beward.

Always somebody trying to reinvent the wheel.When you think you have a brilliant idea,pause and ask yourself why Bloomquist,Owens,Lanigan,O'neal or anybody else isn't running your idea.
    Last edited by perfconn; 01-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F22 RAPTOR View Post
    Edge engines experimented with a BBC last year at Port Royal I believe. That big Dude made more than 1000HP!!! Now having said that I see the Pro's and Con's, the weight and cost issues, but I wonder if a big cube BBC might live longer at less RPM than a wilder SBC??? Maybe more expense up front for the BBC, but maybe over the lifetime could be a savings with longevity. May not need to build a 1000 HP, but just enough to strike a balance. That Edge built engine car won a few races too. So maybe something to at least look at. JMO
    I dont remember that car winning any races.. Ed Powell owned it.. Drivers who ran it said it was a waste of money.. They couldnt control it.. It totally unhooked the car.. If they left off the gas it took forever to get going again cause it bogged down so much.. It made the car so undrivable under braking the drivers hated it.. Steve Campbell was the last one I heard who ran it and he totally hated it for all the above issues...

Stick with a small block and save yourself a bunch of headaches..

Quote Originally Posted by pajamie View Post
    I dont remember that car winning any races.. Ed Powell owned it.. Drivers who ran it said it was a waste of money.. They couldnt control it.. It totally unhooked the car.. If they left off the gas it took forever to get going again cause it bogged down so much.. It made the car so undrivable under braking the drivers hated it.. Steve Campbell was the last one I heard who ran it and he totally hated it for all the above issues...

Stick with a small block and save yourself a bunch of headaches..
    same as everything else, has to have a good powerband. If it's really peaky, then tough to control. I'm not saying a big block couldn't be made to work, but because of the nature of the design, it starts off at a disadvantage.

i know the carb sitting on that thing was huge.. still think it was a waste of money and time for a track that you have to lift getting into the turns and gets real dry and slick during the summer months.. We ran the last 5 races up there with a 410 and finished 2nd in the 3 States Flyers race with that motor.. Just shows ya that bigger isnt always better in most cases..