Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bbc

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    Always somebody trying to reinvent the wheel.When you think you have a brilliant idea,pause and ask yourself why Bloomquist,Owens,Lanigan,O'neal or anybody else isn't running your idea.
    I'm sure their budgets are such that they can afford to take an SBC/SBF/SBD to its extreme and maintain it at that level of performance. From a strictly power stand point you probably don't need 1000HP+, but there are other possibilities to consider. Everyone is in a different place financially and the rebuild costs on a an SBC can get pretty steep, so maybe giving a BBC a look or considering a package that might not require as many rebuilds isn't so crazy. Its not reinventing the wheel, its finding a wheel you can afford to run and suits your individual needs best.
    Last edited by F22 RAPTOR; 01-10-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

I never said my logic was to do what you see others doing.If your so stupid that you think your smarter than some of the winningest drivers ever then go ahead and build a bb chevy and see how heavy and expensive they are.
    Small blocks have been around since 1955 and the big blocks have been around since 1965 and if you think you have ideas that nobody else has ever had then it shows how stupid you really are.

People ran BBC's back in the day because they didn't have all the nice aftermarket goodies they have today. 450+ cu in out of a SBC wasn't even a thought 30 years ago.

Personally.....I would rather work with future technology than go back in the past. Some of the LS style engines look fun to play with.
    JD's Performance
    13034 Hwy 99
    Wapello, IA 52653
    319-931-0677

Quote Originally Posted by pajamie View Post
    I dont remember that car winning any races.. Ed Powell owned it.. Drivers who ran it said it was a waste of money.. They couldnt control it.. It totally unhooked the car.. If they left off the gas it took forever to get going again cause it bogged down so much.. It made the car so undrivable under braking the drivers hated it.. Steve Campbell was the last one I heard who ran it and he totally hated it for all the above issues...

Stick with a small block and save yourself a bunch of headaches..

The car indeed won a few races that year, not sure how many with the BB. I watched from turn 4 one of the nights it won with the BB, I heard they had some issues with weight balance and the car pushing the nose, along with some carb issues, but it seemed like they had gotten it figured out. I asked Chris once about the weight and he said with some more lightening and alum/Ti bolts it couldv'e been abit lighter. Edges BB wasn't even hardly a mild build, 11.5:1cr or so IIRC, mild cam etc, for around $35,000 IIRC. Chris's shop is less than 10 miles from me. There was talks of some of the big teams running them at WVMS or some other big track. Keep in mind there are a ton of BB's out there on the dirt every week in the Modifieds.
    Josh K.

steve francis drove a bbc at wvms for tim logan, an tims son ran it a few times when he first started driving. i think it was a russell baker engine

Cool Try thinking outside the box, Dude.

I never said my logic was to do what you see others doing.If your so stupid that you think your smarter than some of the winningest drivers ever then go ahead and build a bb chevy and see how heavy and expensive they are.
    Small blocks have been around since 1955 and the big blocks have been around since 1965 and if you think you have ideas that nobody else has ever had then it shows how stupid you really are.
    Wow, glad I never bought from you. Someone disagrees with you and you revert to name calling. I'm fully aware of how long and when each Chevrolet design debuted, but that makes no difference to this discussion, neither were built all aluminum at that time and a lot of advancements in part quality and testing has been done since then. Look if you make all your decisions strictly on what others are doing, wonderful, I'm glad that makes you feel comfortable and safe. All I'm saying is "maybe" a BBC is worth a look... 4 link suspension was a flop when it first came out and a lot of people went back to leaf spring setups and others. A few who believed something of benefit might still be had with the 4 link kept working at it and now 90-95% of all DLM's are 4 link.

"Those who say something can't be done are often interrupted by those doing it."

Always somebody trying to reinvent the wheel.When you think you have a brilliant idea,pause and ask yourself why Bloomquist,Owens,Lanigan,O'neal or anybody else isn't running your idea.
    Sounds an awful lot like, "When you think you have an idea, stop and remember if these guys aren't doing it, then you probably shouldn't because they're smarter..." Maybe you don't realize how you sound, I dunno. I understand why these guys don't run BBC, its heavier than an SBC and they have the resources to buy the best of the best, be as light as possible, but not everybody does. All I'm saying and I think a few others is that you can get the same kinda power the big guys have in a more durable, longer lasting package. Sure its heavier and you most likely won't need 1000HP, but perhaps a balance could be struck that's workable. We all get it, you don't like it, you think its idiotic and since the big names aren't doing it, it therefore must be a bad idea. Fine, have a great 2013.

Having said all that I like the CT525 as an option for weekly DLM's too, but some series like the SAS have already made rule changes that kill the chances for that combination to win anymore, by taking away the lower weight advantage.
    Last edited by F22 RAPTOR; 01-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

I don't think there's any reason why it couldn't work if the engine weight is close or if it's positioned right, built to be smooth and easy to drive, etc. but I don't think you'd have the reliability of a small block either. I would also think about an LS package if money is a big factor.

went to the Wo0 world finals at charlotte nc,....had the best late model teams on dirt,...a;so had the big block mods too,...liked the better airo of the cars,..bigger tires too,..big ol hawg motors!!lord soulda herd them thangs,..deep torquey beast!! man i was like these things gonna be badder than a late model,...WRONG!! great racing!! but 2.5 seconds slower....idk if any of that helps but is sumtin to think about!!

think the LS motors,..the new hemi,..along with electronics will be the next big step in dirt late model,..as it is now,..ant carb racing kinda old model????

monkey see monkey do most time make a fool outta you....there are those that search for a advantage,..an those that copy others,...both can win,..but only the searcher goes down in history....
    white trash motorsports

I don't think so. Carbs are easy to trouble shoot or change. If you think it's a carb problem you can put the back up carb on in minutes. Electronic fuel system problems are a nightmare and racing on dirt wouldn't be a good environment for EFI. It would be too easy to put traction control on with additional electronics and an on board computer. LS with carb works nice though. What kind of lap times do small block Modifieds turn at that track compared to the Late Models?
    Last edited by 50j; 01-08-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    I don't think so. Carbs are easy to trouble shoot or change. If you think it's a carb problem you can put the back up carb on in minutes. Electronic fuel system problems are a nightmare and racing on dirt wouldn't be a good environment for EFI. It would be too easy to put traction control on with additional electronics and an on board computer. LS with carb works nice though. What kind of lap times do small block Modifieds turn at that track compared to the Late Models?
    dont know what kinda times small block mods run there,...pretty sure thay have run there before,..the dirt track at lowes don't run regular events,..just special's,... the big block mods are lot deffernt than regular mods,driver sets in middle with wedge body like bords on both sides of driver.........no body ever said racing was easy,electronics can be teched just as any thing else,NHRA an NASCAR an F1 already are doing it...and it is the future,..sooner or later it will be come the norm.....
    Last edited by dirty white boy; 01-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    white trash motorsports

People seem to forget that not only is the overall weight substantially more, but when you are going in and then coming off a corner, you have a 65-70 lb crank that needs to be slowed down and then sped back up vs. a SBC 40-45 lb crank...Why do you think that Oswego and ISMA won't allow small blocks to run in the Supermodifieds against the BBC's...

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    People seem to forget that not only is the overall weight substantially more, but when you are going in and then coming off a corner, you have a 65-70 lb crank that needs to be slowed down and then sped back up vs. a SBC 40-45 lb crank...Why do you think that Oswego and ISMA won't allow small blocks to run in the Supermodifieds against the BBC's...
    Yep. It could be done with lightweight parts but it would no longer be an "inexpensive" option.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    dont know what kinda times small block mods run there,...pretty sure thay have run there before,..the dirt track at lowes don't run regular events,..just special's,... the big block mods are lot deffernt than regular mods,driver sets in middle with wedge body like bords on both sides of driver.........no body ever said racing was easy,electronics can be teched just as any thing else,NHRA an NASCAR an F1 already are doing it...and it is the future,..sooner or later it will be come the norm.....
    Doesn't NHRA use mechanical fuel injection for big classes, don't follow close.

NASCAR made the move to cripple start as parks, and it hurt many of them greatly, not for performance or economy, the cost was huge and is one more cater to large teams deal.

F1 has unlimited budgets and full carbon fiber chassis, are those headed to DLM racing? They even had cars they could adjust from the pits while its on the track. Best part is still use a wooden skid pan under them.

I don't see it happening at small local tracks anytime soon because of cost and difficulty teching it. There's no upside to efi, carburetors are easy to tech and use. Leave the FI headaches and phart mufflers to the ricers.

some of that is true,...but un opend minds are as good as blind...theres better power to be made with fuel injection,...an durability...ant we trying to go faster??? or just fast nuff to be in the running???
    white trash motorsports

One news article I looked up had the parts for NASCAR fuel injection at $25,000 and the software to run it and tune $70,000.

So add over 90,000 to your operating budget. A great carb produces a ton or power for only $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    One news article I looked up had the parts for NASCAR fuel injection at $25,000 and the software to run it and tune $70,000.

So add over 90,000 to your operating budget. A great carb produces a ton or power for only $1500.
    And most people don't realize it but carbs make more power at this point.

theres better power to be made with fuel injection,...an durability
    Actually neither of these statements are true. A few of the mags did comparisons and a properly adjusted and maintained carb in a racing application will out power and has better emissions than a FI setup when it is running at 100%. The EFI has an advantage only in it's adaptability for different driving conditions. As far as power the engine lost peak and lower end power when the FI was optimized than using a carb.
    Warren Johnson: "Properly tuned, carburetors make more peak power than EFI in a Pro Stock engine."

It's impossible to win a big time dirt late model race now a days without running a big block !! I don't mean a 4.5 bore spacing I mean an actual big block !! All of the top guys run them !!! Why do you think Owens , oneil , bloomer and lannigan are soo good ? It's because they run 600 plus CI big blocks !! And they turn them 13k !!

If there is anybody believes that I have some ocean front property in Arizona I need to sell them.