Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bbc

I'm reasonably certain that hucktyson was being tongue in cheek with his post!! Or at least I hope so!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    Actually neither of these statements are true. A few of the mags did comparisons and a properly adjusted and maintained carb in a racing application will out power and has better emissions than a FI setup when it is running at 100%. The EFI has an advantage only in it's adaptability for different driving conditions. As far as power the engine lost peak and lower end power when the FI was optimized than using a carb.
    Warren Johnson: "Properly tuned, carburetors make more peak power than EFI in a Pro Stock engine."
    ...the best tuned carb in the world is just a controlled fuel leak compared to what can be achieved with computer controlled direct injection,and timing of delivery of fuel an spark too,..easier no,cheaper no, but a hell of a lot better controlled tuning has to make a motor run better...dont see how it couldnt...
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    ...the best tuned carb in the world is just a controlled fuel leak compared to what can be achieved with computer controlled direct injection,and timing of delivery of fuel an spark too,..easier no,cheaper no, but a hell of a lot better controlled tuning has to make a motor run better...dont see how it couldnt...
    Look it up, it has been proven time and again that the peak power of an electronic fuel injected engine is not up to the peak of the same engine on a properly tuned carburetor. Overall power may be slightly higher but it can not match the peak. If you think a carb is nothing more than a tuned fuel leak then you REALLY need a new carb guy. Not trying to argue just pointing out facts on the 2 systems.

Don't know how this thread evolved from running a bb chevy into a discussion about fuel injection but anyway you must understand that an engine on the dyno and one on the racetrack is two different worlds.
    Yes a properly built carburetor will make as much or more hp on the dyno but when you put in acceleration,deceleration,banking,left front hike and all the other g forces that a carburetor encounters under racing conditions the electronic fuel injection will win hands down everytime.
    I'm not a fan of fuel injection because it's over the head of the weekly racer but physics prove it's better for racing.

Off topic, but yes the EFI is good for cornering or extreme angles but not well suited for dirt track racing. My argument against it would be cost, time involved in tech, and reliability. Rough tracks and dirt would be hard on it. I wouldn't want it. Now back on topic.

Question What about weight, All Aluminum BBC versus All Steel SBC, whose heavier??

All things being equal, say both a BBC and a SBC are both making 900HP and comparable torque curves, I concede an SBC will have a handling advantage from its lighter weight and possibly a slight acceleration advantage, however I believe you could build the BBC in a bigger displacement and turn fewer RPM's resulting in longer engine life, which is my argument in a nutshell. I've heard some say the BBC cars engine weight made it where the car couldn't be balanced, I find that hard to believe, if so answer me this. What is the difference in weight of an all aluminum BBC versus an all steel SBC limited engine? I'm guessing they're somewhat close in weight and we have lots of those running in my area that handle pretty darn good.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

Somewhat close in weight covers a lot of ground.I'll bet there is at least 200 pounds difference.With sbc being 450ci just how much bigger and heavier would you build a bbc.

A stock steel 454 is about 105 pounds heavier than a stock steel 350. Aluminum heads
    on a big block take off close to 70 pounds and an aluminum block takes off another 70.
    An all aluminum big block is quite a bit lighter than an all steel small block, and very
    similar in weight to a stock block/aluminum head small block. An all aluminum BBC is
    lighter than a Little M block/aluminum head SBC. An aluminum head/stock block BBC
    is within a few pounds of a Little M block/cast iron Dart head SBC.

Crickets chirping....

An all aluminum big block is actually smaller and lighter than a small block !!! It's about 47 lbs lighter than a 4.5 bore spacing motor with fully lightened heads and block !!! And it accelelerates and decelerates twice as fast !! Basically your retarded if you don't run Atleast a 600 cubic inch big block

Again, I hope you are tongue in cheek...Otherwise..OMG!! An all aluminum BBC is not lighter than an all aluminum SBC, even if the SBC is a billet 4.5" bore space block...And you haven't even started talking about the 25-30 lb difference in crank weight that you have to start and stop...

Cool Later on, Dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ128 View Post
    A stock steel 454 is about 105 pounds heavier than a stock steel 350. Aluminum heads
    on a big block take off close to 70 pounds and an aluminum block takes off another 70.
    An all aluminum big block is quite a bit lighter than an all steel small block, and very
    similar in weight to a stock block/aluminum head small block. An all aluminum BBC is
    lighter than a Little M block/aluminum head SBC. An aluminum head/stock block BBC
    is within a few pounds of a Little M block/cast iron Dart head SBC.
    Thanks JJ128 for giving an intelligent answer, I'm still not sure why some people are incapable of adult mature conversation. So if an, "All aluminum BBC" is lighter than an, "All steel SBC" its conceivable that a BBC car can be balanced out to handle properly, even better than a limited car. Gosh y'all, why was that so hard to get to???

I think I'm done, I learned what i needed about several things regarding BBC & SBC, including who and who not to try and talk too. However if there's anybody out there with BBC circle track knowledge or experience I'd love to talk with you if have the capacity for mature conversation and can handle a few questions.
    "If racing were easy, everybody would do it."

#77 Leon "Slick" Sells

been reading and thinking about this. got some friends that have BBC stuff even think i can come up with a alum block. was drag stuff but could change cam and rods for dirt i know one his engine is almost 700 cubs. if you were to build one all alum how much more weight are we talking about.if it would be around the weight of a steel head think i could make that work or would love to try.

That is a very big, heavy crank that you have to slow down and speed up at each end of the track...absolutely nothing like drag racing don't forget

Quote Originally Posted by twisterf5 View Post
    been reading and thinking about this. got some friends that have BBC stuff even think i can come up with a alum block. was drag stuff but could change cam and rods for dirt i know one his engine is almost 700 cubs. if you were to build one all alum how much more weight are we talking about.if it would be around the weight of a steel head think i could make that work or would love to try.
    be cool if ya could find a set on them world famous aluminum jr johnson heads from back in the day,..buddy of mine had a set,thay were nice!!
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    be cool if ya could find a set on them world famous aluminum jr johnson heads from back in the day,..buddy of mine had a set,thay were nice!!
    well i grew up in ny with OWM supers at oswego big blocks and ran some big blocks on dirt mainly stayed with the 320 small block. but got a good friend in AL that drags most of his stuff is sponsor paid for and i know he has got blocks that are well over 600 cubes think i could get some old stuff for next to nothing.im going to see what i can come up with.

Have fun...There is a reason that Oswego outlawed SBC from it's Supermodifieds...The same reason that ISMA outlawed SBC from their Supermodified's also...LOL

600 ci in a late model hafta be bad if it hooks,...dont think nobody round here had ci above 460 back when thay still raced big blocks,..dont thing them big block mods up north are any bigger that that now ether,..the one i talked with at the worlds said 450ci was where thay was....erry body told christoper columbus the world was flat too till he found usa!
    white trash motorsports

You really don't think that people have thought about it...With the tendency of tracks going dry and the ability to make 900 HP with a SBC that weighs less, both overall and, very importantly, rotating weight, what would you gain/lose with a big inch BBC?? If I was building a drag door slammer I'd build a 730" Sonny Bryant, if I could afford it, and be done with it....Worthless in the DLM world...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    You really don't think that people have thought about it...With the tendency of tracks going dry and the ability to make 900 HP with a SBC that weighs less, both overall and, very importantly, rotating weight, what would you gain/lose with a big inch BBC?? If I was building a drag door slammer I'd build a 730" Sonny Bryant, if I could afford it, and be done with it....Worthless in the DLM world...IMO
    Absolutely agree. Best thing to have in a DLM is a nice strong smooth powerband (both torque and HP), and a lightweight rotating assembly.