Question brake pad question?????

what kind of brake pads are guys running that throw sparks like a sparkler?? just wondering.. ive seen this on several cars and thought i would ask.. thanks in advance...

Hawk Black

thanks for the info.... looks like it could be a bad deal if someone left the cap off the fuel cell... could go up in flames in a hurry!!!

several different compounds of pads are throwing sparks right now not sure hawk blacks. some brembo, performance friction and other brands do as well. the sparks could be rotor material or pad material.

Hawk Blacks are a great pad and will shoot some sparks!

I may put a set of those on my car and let the sparks fly!!! I think it looks pretty awsome!!!

So whats the benefit other than July celebrations ?

I like the Hawks and still rum'em but,..... plan on replacing your rotors every season....

1 advantage is its a HUGE distraction to the person whos behind you. 2 they flat out grab and give you more brake tuning. I.E. you can tune different corners of the car with them, or use them across the back to give you more rear brake without having to crank out all the front.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Blacksheep View Post
    So whats the benefit other than July celebrations ?
    you get to replace the rotors about halfway through the season!!!

The pads that I have on I bought from BSB they grab hard stay cool and don't use up rotors and I trail brake all the time. Same pads that just won the IceBowl in the modified class and finished 1, 2 and 3 in IMCA national points in 2011.

Neither of those brands. you will have to call them or get the new 2012 catalog they are wolfpack bedded brake pads.

Hawk Black. They eat rotors cause they work! If you want incredible stopping power, no need to search.

you won't find the info on the net.

Wolfpack racing LLC out of North Carolina has the pads manufactured and bedded.

you can only get them from wolfpack or bsb.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Hawk black may work but when you start trail braking youll find like the rest of us that rotors crack in 2-3 nights and after that they exlpode... Also youll find you will melt the plastic caps on your valve stems.
    Ditto. I went through 4 rear rotors (3 cracked and 1 exploded) in 9 nights of racing three years ago with Hawk Blacks. I also did what Jeff described and some by melting the entire valve stem out of the wheel. Talk about an instant flat. Both the valve stem and rotor explosion happened on corner entry on high speed tracks, the rotor explosion resulting in me smashing the wall at 70mph, and the other causing me to spin and get the back of my car knocked off.

Needless to say, after the rotor explosion (last time I ran them), I quickly took them of and switched to Wilwood Poly E's. I ran two complete seasons on the same pads and rotors and had similar braking power as the Hawks. However I am looking for something better, so Dan, I may be giving you or your old man a call when my car gets further along being done.

And if you want sparks, those Wolfpack pads give them off. SoBe's car looks like he has sparklers on all four wheels when he rides the brakes.

Jeff,
    Try the Polymatrix "E" pads. They work well for us. Good brakes and easy on rotors.

Also, thanks for the steering box tip. Put them on both cars.
    SPark

you don't notice the sparks in the car other than on restarts from the front brakes. everyone calls them my brake lights.

There are other advantages to these pads I don't run as much rear brake as other people do. I can drop the nose in the center of the corner and turn the car without loosing traction and trail braking is as easy as laying my foot on the pedal with light pressure