Default 2.3L ford question...

Is a HV oil pump necessary or is stock OK? Planning on running low-mid 7 RPM range. No one local carries the melling HV pumps anymore, any other good affordable brands out there? Thanks for any info.

ive always ran stock...never had any issues.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

M127 melling.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

We have run the Clevite HV pump for years.Never had any problems.

Thanks for the replies, the motor Im going to use only has 2 races on it & it has a OEM pump in it. I have always used HV pumps.

It's been many moons since I've run a wet-sump pump on our 2.0L Fords, but I did inspect/modify many of the OEM & HV pumps. The procedure was simple. Remove the cover-plate on the pump. Lay a straight-edge across the pump housing walls, above the gears. Use your feeler-gauges to measure the clearance between the straight-edge & the ends of the gears in the housing. I've seen/measured clearances up to .017". I had great success running a clearance of .004"-.006" between the housing plate & the ends of the gears. I decreased the height of the pump housing until I got the desired clearance. Then also made certain the end-plate was free of any/all blemishes by using sandpaper on a very flat surface & running the end-plate over the 'paper. Clean it up, bolt it all back together and run it! The above modification was recently made to a 'wet' pump on a road-racing 2.0L Ford/Capri in VA. The system oil pressure increased 10psi, across the rpm band, because much less oil was being 'bypassed' around the ends of the gears within the pump housing. It works! -Dave-

What he said!