Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default spring city raceway

hi everyone thought i would give a little spring city history. Spring city raceway was built in 1984 thru 85 opened for racing in 1985. track size was 1/4 mile around the outside 3/16 inside. i have been going there sense 85, been racing there sence 1999. The place was booming in the late 80's. Rhea county raceway was the original name. Modified street was the big class then paid 400.00 to win every sat. night. pure street was 250.00 pony's paid 200.00 to win. that was big money then. Clayton Turner from crossville,tn. still holds the track record set on july 16, 1988 lap time:11.81. Still has not been broken and he was driving a malibu or his camero i was only 7 cant remember lol. No late model has come close to that time yet as of 2010. I didnt go there any in 2011 but tim kyle did well as a promoter. The place was a rough place 2000 thru 2007 but different lease holders r making better. It will take time some time for a reputation to be made again but ray,mark,and jones i think will do very well with spring city. So many great drivers have raced there Mid Durham from chatsworth,ga was the guy to beat 85 and 86 in modified st. 87 thru 89 was Rick Williams in the 17 tide car and Venabal Tabor 25 car Randy Weaver in the 16 stories car Ernie Lankford in his 75 car Patrick Garrison in the 37 first gold crome sheet medal camero. 90 thru 92 was the birth of late mdels there Sam Williams 96 was track champion 2 of those years and Patrick Duggan was runner up Jeff Smith was track champion in 92. Lots of great drivers strated there and have raced there. Track was closed 93 thru 95 and reopened 96. The place is a driving track its plenty big enough for any racing lots of room now to park still needs some cleaning up but looks a lot better.

In 2002 the supers were turning in low 11's actually they were called outlaw as they had no rules,run what you got.this was about the same time they made the Discovery movie there.

right i posted the wrong time 10.89 was the time i looked at my 89' rule book. the cars were a lot faster back then. but the tracks inside was inset more everyone wants to push it out if they would just leave it b and put back, there was plenty room for 3 wide racing.
    i watched lamar scoggins,barry goodman and bobby doss 3-wide 4 2 action packed laps in a 30 lap race that was 2 wide till the last 3 laps and scoggins won at least the track is getting cleaned up they have done a lot of work this off season i rode by tuesday and looked at it a sheeps foot to till it up then wet it and run it in is how paul always got it ready and the track was always tacky no one will till it right

the track held up fine this year and danny and raymond done a great job season is still going strong big races in oct.

In 2004 thru 2007 LeCroy in the 2 Rayburn won about 60 races,funny how some can figure a track out. They only qualified once when we raced there and Le croy had a 1151,same year they filmed a Discovery mover there. LeCroy passed for the win on last lap..Track is a challenge we got knocked out in heat when movie was there.Would like to see supers there.

i took my latemodle up there about 2 weeks ago and made a few laps i think you could run supers there but you would not want to start more than 18 or so cars. the race track looks good it is smooth thats more than you can say for most of the tracks anymore. Raymond has done a good job he put alot of work into this track. He has some parking you could get the big haulers in.

Default What gear?

What gear would you need to run for a crate car at Spring City?

Quote Originally Posted by Plantintaters View Post
    What gear would you need to run for a crate car at Spring City?
    680 or so i pulled a 643 and i truned about 6400 needed some more

a 715 gear is perfect for spring city in a late model 700 in anything else 380-196 or 345-214 in a pony

track is smooth no doubt i would like to see some open wheels there also supers ran there before in the early 90's the started about 18 in feature sam williams or dave bilbrey won that night but i know patrick duggan was third he hadnt been running a late model long 1st year i think runner up in points at spring city city

Default Discovery Movie

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    In 2002 the supers were turning in low 11's actually they were called outlaw as they had no rules,run what you got.this was about the same time they made the Discovery movie there.
    What kind of movie did Discovery Channel ever tape there? I remember A&E did one at Atomic in 2000, maybe 01? I actually have it somewhere, but I don't remember anything at Spring City. How do we get a copy?
    Be 1st Go Fast

discovery channel did a movie there in sept. 2002 it was more about kenny lecroy than anything i guess how he won over 300 races there. i know 2 other drivers have won just as many or close 2 it thats marion tipton and rick williams. iam not sure how many lecroy won but it wasnt 300 at spring city maybe 130 or so. marion has more close to 300 cause he had the new track and old track history from 50's to the 90's. rick on the other hand from 87-92 had alot of wins just about all of them in 88-89. i tried to find somewhere to get the film that discovery did but cant find it. it air that next spring and had some incar footage of matt henderson his rookie year.

Let me see....Kenny Lecroy 300 wins at Spring City......I believe that would be an average of 15 wins per season for 20 years!!!!! Somebody has been drinking too much Kool-Aid......

It's on you tube, we put in LeCroy race or something like that,you can find it nice little track,

Quote Originally Posted by MRM View Post
    That place isn't big enough for a super late model race. It's barely big enough to run limiteds or crates.
    come up to IL you might be surprised Macon highland belleville

we ran year around at spring city we would start in feb. and race till jan. thats how he racked up so many wins 40-50 plus races a year. many nights it was snowing and so cold your hands were stuck on the wheel but im getting to old for that stuff like that lol. youtube spring city speedway filmed by discovery channel to see
    Last edited by Dhoffman66; 01-24-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ga racer View Post
    where is a track smaller than spring city?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsKl0SbUJjQ
    2 tracks in Ill are 1/5 miles and yes they do run lates been doing for 60 plus years woo lates sept13 th
    Last edited by big.ed; 01-24-2013 at 01:14 PM.

garbage like this is what kills dirt racing, people that dont know much about and watches this really thinks its a bunch of rednecks at all dirt tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoffman66 View Post
    we ran year around at spring city we would start in feb. and race till jan. thats how he racked up so many wins 40-50 plus races a year. many nights it was snowing and so cold your hands were stuck on the wheel but im getting to old for that stuff like that lol. youtube spring city speedway filmed by discovery channel to see

Year round racing in Spring City...40 to 50+ wins a year......so your saying out of a possible 52 race dates a year that they got enough races in to win this many races...racing in the snow.....hands froze to the steering wheel....by the way I know Kenny Lecroy personally...he is rolling in the floor laughing his ass off at your post......He won a lot of races at Spring City but not even Superman could do what you claim!!!!