Default Heating quickchange magnesium bell or center?

Got to replace R&P in a mag center and maybe a tube so thought about throwing the rose bud to it like I have aluminum bells and centers ---------- then said NO. So I picked up an old oven that was headed for scrap yard that is supposed to work. Thought about rewiring to run top and bottom heaters at same time and throwing the center in ther to heat.

Any help or ideas, i'm a lil hesitant cause I am not familiar with mag alway had aluminum. I dont wanna melt the thing or the shop and my eyes. Thanks in advance for help.

Quote Originally Posted by street28 View Post
    Got to replace R&P in a mag center and maybe a tube so thought about throwing the rose bud to it like I have aluminum bells and centers ---------- then said NO. So I picked up an old oven that was headed for scrap yard that is supposed to work. Thought about rewiring to run top and bottom heaters at same time and throwing the center in ther to heat.

Any help or ideas, i'm a lil hesitant cause I am not familiar with mag alway had aluminum. I dont wanna melt the thing or the shop and my eyes. Thanks in advance for help.
    I used to do it with a hot air gun and ice the tube so an oven at 200 should do it easily. DON'T EVER USE AN OPEN FALME ON A MAG REAR!!!

I have used a torch I thought it was alum and we couldnt figure out why it looked like sparkler things fly off? Now I pay lil more attention before I think about using a torch.
    I figured it would have to get up around 325 at least for pinion to drop in and out? I think ignition happens around 800-900 degree. I figured an old oven on 350-400 would toast it nicenly to a golden brown.
    Last edited by street28; 01-31-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by street28 View Post
    I have used a torch I thought it was alum and we couldnt figure out why it looked like sparkler things fly off? Now I pay lil more attenetion before I think about using a torch.
    I figured it would have to get up around 325 at least for pinion to drop in and out? I think ignition happens around 8-900 degree. I figured an old oven on 350-400 would toast it nicenly to a golden brown.
    We pulled one apart that had a bearing going bad at the track and the pinion fell out. The center was HOT probably around 250+. I would step it up and let it cool slowly once you get it hot. If you are in a cold area I wold put it back into the oven and shut it off and allow it to cool with the oven.

We always set it in front of the torpedo heater, about 2' away, usually takes about 10-15 mins. Ours is mag.(sprint car)
    Josh K.