Default Rods and Pistons

What would be a good choice for 5.7 rods and pistons.
    1. Track is 1/4 mile high banked.
    2. Car turns under 7500 rpms.
    3. Weight at 2300 lbs.

Rods (crowler, esslinger, race eng.)
    Pistons (wiseco, srp, mahle power pak)

lighter you can get faster you can accel. and how much you wanna spend?

Rods: Crower Maxi-Lite w/.927" pin. They weigh right at 512 grams. Pistons: WiseCo. With .043" top & 2nd rings, Napier 2nd ring, lateral gas ports in the top ring, .927" pins. If the engine is a 2.3/2.5 SOHC Ford, a 2.0L 7cc dome can be gotten on the piston top. Talk to Vic Ellinger @ (800)321-1364 ext. 3016. -Dave-

Yes, this a 2300 ford. Rules state crank can not be altered, must be stock. I guess this means I cannot use a chevy 2.0" rod? Rules do not say anything about pistons and rods. It does say that milling head for compression is allowed. Looking for the best combo in this situation.

My stock rod/crank 2.3L can usually beat the 5.7 rod motors on a 1/4 mile track, and mine never gets anywhere close to 7500 RPMs. IMO the 5.7 rod motors work better on bigger tracks where they can keep RPMs up. I prefer OEM bottom ends on the small tracks.

The lighter the bottom end is the better it's gonna run. PERIOD. Don't matter what length the rod is.

So, what is the lightest rod I can get to fit the stock crank without machining it? I have seen a Manley at 545 grams.

Your telling me that they won't let a man turn a stock crank 40 thousandths? Don't sound right to me.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

This is the rule from the book

o. Must have stock, O.E.M. UNALTERED crankshaft. (example; 2.3 Ford - 2.3 Crank, unaltered)

Maybe I am reading this wrong.

I think if you asked you would find out that you can grind the main & rod journals undersize if they are worn. What they don't want is major mods that effect weight, stroke, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by outlawstreet21 View Post
    This is the rule from the book

o. Must have stock, O.E.M. UNALTERED crankshaft. (example; 2.3 Ford - 2.3 Crank, unaltered)

Maybe I am reading this wrong.
    order a set of pistons with pin off set and motor will think its long rod!

Quote Originally Posted by outlawstreet21 View Post
    This is the rule from the booko. Must have stock, O.E.M. UNALTERED crankshaft. (example; 2.3 Ford - 2.3 Crank, unaltered)Maybe I am reading this wrong.
    I'd call the tech man and ask them what unaltered meant. Is this the rules?5. ENGINEa. In line four cylinder (carburetor type only) with a maximum displacement of 2399cc. Only exclusion is Chevy. Call for info. b. Engine must be in stock location.c. No rotary engines or turbos.d. No dual overhead cams.e. Engine must use stock block, and head. Steel valves only.f. Must use stock intake. May be machined to receive carburetor only.g. Milling of head to increase compression allowed. No porting, polishing or port matching allowed. NOGRINDING INSIDE OF PORTS. Straight boring allowed for large valves. Cannot go past short side radius.Bore cannot be polished.h. Carburetor must be un-altered Holley #4412 or 5200 series with a stock venture bore, stock throttle body, and stock booster location. May run stock OEM carburetor not to exceed 500cfm. No Weber or Mikunicarburetors.i. Battery type ignition only. No magnetos, dual points, MSD boxes.j. Any solid surface cam, valve springs, rockers, and lifters are allowed. NO ROLLER CAM/Rockers. Adjustable Cam gears okk. Stock exhaust or racing headers are allowed. Mufflers may be required depending on track rule.l. Exhaust should exit under car.m. Engine Blocks and Heads must have factory numbers.n. No Strokers.o. Must have stock, O.E.M. UNALTERED crankshaft. (example; 2.3 Ford - 2.3 Crank, unaltered)p. 1" Sight plug in the side of the oil pan with a clear line of sight to the crankshaft and rods. q. Starter - Must be able to start under own power. Push starts go to rear of field.r. If electric fuel pump is used, an automatic oil pressure cut off switch is required
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Yep, thats the rules.