Default 305 heads on 355

I'm wanting to boost my low end power drive off the corner can I acheive this by putting 305 heads on my engine

Engine specs
    81 350 .30 over
    Stock rods
    Speed pro hypertenutic pistons (prolly spelled wrong)
    Voodoo bracket master 2 cam
    2 bbl carb
    Stock intake

Quote Originally Posted by Adank Motorsports View Post
    I'm wanting to boost my low end power drive off the corner can I acheive this by putting 305 heads on my engine

Engine specs
    81 350 .30 over
    Stock rods
    2 bbl carb
    Stock intake
    Heads for a 305 were made to feed a street 305 engine and do not flow enough even for a performance built 305. You will be hurting your performance unless you have a really really bad set of heads on right now.

All I have right now is a set of junk 350 heads I've looked them up 76cc and say there crack prone heads

Why dont you try vortec heads you can find them cheap heck i have a set screw in studs guide plates stainless valves and an intake ill let go for $400 they will do the job nicely youll be able to feel it for sure...

The "good" 305 heads have 1.84 1.5 valves. By the time you get anything done to make them work you could be into a set of camel humps for the same or less.

If Danny's Vortecs have been drilled for a regular intake, that's a great deal...Will make the type of HP that the old 292 Bowtie heads make.

Thanks for all the advice I'm gonna see what I can do back pocket racing this year would stock vortecs work to start until I can save money to have them reworked

Thanks for all the advice I'm gonna see what I can do back pocket racing this year would stock vortecs work to start until I can save money to have them reworked
    Stock Vortecs are better than any other stock head as long as what you get are Vortec heads. Not all center bolt valve cover heads are vortec. The better news is you can buy them new still from places like Scoggin (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ey ready to run.
    http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12529093

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    Stock Vortecs are better than any other stock head as long as what you get are Vortec heads. Not all center bolt valve cover heads are vortec. The better news is you can buy them new still from places like Scoggin (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ey ready to run.
    http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12529093

You can't run stock vortec head's in a race car. The stock springs are only good to about .450 lift and the press in studs will pull out with continued high rpm's. Gm maxed out the springs with the stock cam. You need new studs.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    vortecs need machined for screw in studs plates and most are cracked so I would only buy new, which is well over your budget it appears
    Aint that the truth!!! Especially of you get em from a bone yard lol

As SJ VALLEY DAVE said they make great power I have motors with both types lol

However mine dont have the std intake I ran the performer rpm airgap, its a dual plane 1500-6500 rpm range GREAT bottom end out of the corner...

Heres a vid of when I ran them:
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=tLxSQ4OHt4E

We won that night btw lol

Quote Originally Posted by LowTechRacing View Post
    You can't run stock vortec head's in a race car. The stock springs are only good to about .450 lift and the press in studs will pull out with continued high rpm's. Gm maxed out the springs with the stock cam. You need new studs.
    I never said you could run the stock setup, I just said that they were a better head.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    I never said you could run the stock setup, I just said that they were a better head.
    They are not. There very prone to cracking. They flow better. But to be reliable you have to put a ton of money in them or your best bet is to buy brand new. And for most true Street Stock guys that's not realistic. Get your self a set of camel hump heads and call it a day. There 60 years old almost now and there going strong. Vortex's crack. That is why there in the bone yards. GM don't build em like they used too.

I tried this back in 93 on a street stock just because they were all I could afford at that time and I was in the points lead so I needed to get things running asap. the only thing I could tell from the seat was the top end dropped off but on a small tight track it worked out. if your running a big track with long straights you'll want to angle mill the heads/intake you have to bust compression. it will be cheaper than getting another set of heads and then having to have some machine work done to them. if and when they crack just get some moroso ceramic sealer that stuff works I keep it in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTechRacing View Post
    They are not. There very prone to cracking. They flow better. But to be reliable you have to put a ton of money in them or your best bet is to buy brand new. And for most true Street Stock guys that's not realistic. Get your self a set of camel hump heads and call it a day. There 60 years old almost now and there going strong. Vortex's crack. That is why there in the bone yards. GM don't build em like they used too.
    I have had 462 heads crack that were not worked over, all heads will crack if treated wrong. The reason you hear of most vortecs cracking is excessive cutting. We had a couple sets last 2-3 seasons on a limited late model engine. They were NOT Bowtie but were new sets from Scoggin Di ck ey, the machine work was done to them once recieved and they were cut but not as much as some people were. Some machine shops are cutting them to max on the first build.

Default 305

Vortec would be better or ported camel humps.
    But I have built two motors 355's in the past with 305 heads. One was in a tow truck never done nothing to them except valve work the truck had a ton of torque but fell off at 4000 RPM.
    Then I built another 355 with 305 heads this was more of a test than anything else I spent a lot of hours porting and polishing these heads. I reworked and installed 1.94 valves over the 1.84 and milled them to the max. THE port work I done was extremely excessive, very close to being in the water jacket zone. With a solid flat tappet cam this engine made great torque and pulled great to 5500 Rpm. Don't know how well it would last considering the amount of cutting done to them. They was light weight for a cast iron head also.
    But if you can't afford new heads and have 305 to use, with plenty of hours to work on them. You would be ok in my opinion to use them, but you won't be able to get a lot of RPM's out of it.

Engine specs
    81 350 .30 over
    Stock rods
    2 bbl carb
    Stock intake
    2 answer your question....YES!!!!!

Make your car fast and the motor wont matter. Ive seen 882 heads pull 3-5 car lengths against unruled aftermarkets.

I ran 416s (1.94/1.6, 60ccs) with stock rockers and switched to S/R torquers with Comp rollers. I COULD FEEL THE 305s pull harder, but the S/Rs had more top end.

305 HEADS ARE LIGHTER THAN CAMELHUMPS!!!!!

Put each side by side. Im a lying? no. LW front means you can turned quicker for seemingly even more bottom end.

One vote for the 305s!

If you can grind on your intake, I got a cast iron down to 26 lbs (stock is 37-39 or close) Aluminum 11-14. It adds up.

I ran 6200-6400 rpm
    Last edited by balljoint; 02-04-2012 at 10:51 PM.

With a bunch of port work and combustion chamber work, the 305 makes decent power for a 2 barrel engine. I watched a pair run 3rd at the IMCA Supernationals in a qualifying race on top of a simple 355 back when everyone ran the 350 carb. Just takes a lot of work. There are other plus's to the design of the 305 such as plug placement.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

you can get dubble hump heads from 100 bucks on up to crazy money on e-bay crigslist an such..an new casting are available too

you can get vorteck heads as cheap in same places or junk yards an new from aftermarket too

i dont see puttin all the time an money in a 305 head when there's easier,cheaper,an better alternatives easily available!

Default The question was................

Engine specs
    81 350 .30 over
    Stock rods
    2 bbl carb
    Stock intake
    Answer is.............Yes you can!
    I ran a combo almost identical to the specs you have given here.(different cam)3400 pound car with 2 barrel and street tires.
    I did do some work to them to make them flow better than stock. Also retained the 1.84" vaves too.
    Won over 30 features with that engine, against 406's,377's etc. Never had to twist it over 6200.
    Old enuf to know better, still too young to givadamm.

the 305 head WILL WORK!!!! i have seen it. i have done it. i know what works for one might not work for others, but i have seen this combo stomp the guts out of some pretty expernsive engines.some rules say u cant use hump or vortech heads so this works out. the small 58cc chamber really bumps it up. good luck