Default Hard Blok Water Jacket Filler ?

im building a 395ci 3.875 stroke small block chevy for my super stock super light weight scat crankshaft 14.1 compression. i have billet main caps on it,its a stock block .30 over im wondering if i should put the hard blok water jacket filler for circle track and street use in it will that be a good idea ? or will it run hot.

Run an oil cooler and it will really help...the water temp heat comes from the cylinder heads and the combustion chamber area. I know people that have partial filled 400 blocks and ran them on the street with zero problems, along with the circle track world...

I would definitely hard-blok it. We have done probably 10 of our motors over the years, from 2-bbl street stocks to alcohol modifieds, and have never had any heating issues due to it. Just seems to me that it has to really stiffen up the bottom end.

Built the same combination for a drag race corvette with 15* heads on alcohol.Cracked the block in the main webbing after 7 passes.

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    Built the same combination for a drag race corvette with 15* heads on alcohol.Cracked the block in the main webbing after 7 passes.
    15* heads and a stock block????????

Yep.Stupid wasn't it.Its amazing what a person will do to try and save money and it ends up costing more than it would have if you did it right in the first place.
    Last edited by perfconn; 02-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.

im just going to run a set of 215 dart iron eagle 23degree heads nothing special. with a victor super intake and i run an 850 holley racing fuel carb

You really shouldn't have any problems...IMO

You will hit water when you start grinding rod clearance at the bottom of the cylinder next to the pan rail.Hard block won't keep it from leaking.You will need to pour epoxy in about an inch thick and then hard block.Your rods will also hit the cam so start with a small base circle cam and stroker clearanced rods.

i have callies stroker 4" stroker clearnced rods with 7/16 small headed cap screws and .900 special ground crower cam ive never hurd off grind so much that you hit the water jackets on it we have done 4" stroke on stock 400s and never hit water. i was told to make sure have about 80 thousands of clearance on the rod to block.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnelly87 View Post
    i have callies stroker 4" stroker clearnced rods with 7/16 small headed cap screws and .900 special ground crower cam ive never hurd off grind so much that you hit the water jackets on it we have done 4" stroke on stock 400s and never hit water. i was told to make sure have about 80 thousands of clearance on the rod to block.
    You can hit the water jackets making a 383 and I know of several that hit them on 400's with aluminum rods on drag motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    You can hit the water jackets making a 383 and I know of several that hit them on 400's with aluminum rods on drag motors.
    yeah but alumium rods are alot bigger than an a steel rod they require more clearance. i know you can hit it but ive never had to grind out enough to hit it we have done alot of 383 with 6.0 rods and never hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnelly87 View Post
    yeah but alumium rods are alot bigger than an a steel rod they require more clearance. i know you can hit it but ive never had to grind out enough to hit it we have done alot of 383 with 6.0 rods and never hit it.
    Only 350's I know that got hit were 2 for a 383 and one 400 that was going to 434 for a street/drag motor. It may not happen often but it can. There is a builder in Fla that will not grind on a block for crank clearence unless he sonic checks the areas.