Thread: Camshaft

Default Camshaft

i am putting 18 degree Chevy heads on our 3.875 stroke mod engine and need cam help. I have talked to several reputable cam and engine builders and I am getting wildly different suggestions. Dart block 45lb crank with 6'' rods and JE pistons, 1.6 and 1.65 rockers. Open for more ideas.....thanks.

I would call a cam company you can trust and go from there, or have an engine builder spec a camshaft for you. You have to trust your source.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Tony Barker Racing Engines, has been very good for us

2 cam guys i use and trust are jones cams and camcraft..both in NC.

+2 on what stockcar5 said
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Default cams

If you're an individual, find a reputable cam company, and stick with them. A 300 duration cam from one company will perform like it actually has 305 degrees of duration, while one from another company will perform like it has 295. Cam companys are like everybody else, they play with the advertized #s by juggling the lash to make their cam look better on paper.
    Or, if you have an engine builder that you trust, let them get you one, they have more hands on than the cam guys.
    One thing to remember, cam guys, as well as engine guys, don't like to take up time with you if you're just "kicking tires". Be ready to order one, if you call them and take up their time, they have to make a living, too.TB

yes to all of the above. Track and driving style will matter with that combo.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I always leave the camshaft position sensor alone and never had a problem. Make sure you have some zink additive .

@cswitch11...What exactly are you talking about??

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    @cswitch11...What exactly are you talking about??

ROBOT............Avoid like bad weather in Florida.