Thread: powerglide ??

Default powerglide ??

I am running a direct drive glide with a coupler and external valving with a deep aluminum pan, will it stay cool in a 150 lap race with out running a cooler? thanks for any info

Our tranny guy said that while at speed in direct, they actually cool down, and that under yellow is when they build heat.

But we always had a small cooler anyway

I talked to Bushore when I purchased my tranny from him and mentioned I was thinking about running a tranny cooler. He said you don't need to! Main thing was use Dexron III (4 quarts) and use reverse the least amount as possible! Then Give her hell!

Default Use the cooler!

The pump in an automatic trans is a heat factory all by itself. The faster it turns, the more and quicker that it produces heat. And then there is the element of clutch and band/fluid drag. = more heat. Yep, run a cooler. The bigger the better. These are facts, not oppinion.
    BOMBER
    Old enuf to know better, still too young to givadamm.

And dont run just reg dex run amsoil super shift. I was told by the guy i use to get my parts (builds pg for all types of race cars) that if people knew about super shift they would spend allot less money on tranys. We ran it in a th350 in a figure 8 car prolly 10 years ago. Got the trans so hot it was smoking out of the fill tube pulled it apart trans filter was melted laying in the pan. Fluid didnt stink and was clean put new filter in it and that trans still working today in a beater truck... That made me a lifetime customer My pg in stock car was 3 years old since i last went threw it pulled it apart i didnt even really need to replace any clutches. Reason to not to use reverse is because guys like to run only 2 clutches in the reverse drum.

Your not running a torque convertor so you don't have the heat build-up that you normally would get with a convertor..but I would still run a small cooler...

Reason to not to use reverse is because guys like to run only 2 clutches in the reverse drum.

HUH? no such thing as a ''reverse drum"