Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why gibbs oil?

Default why gibbs oil?

surely not everyone is useing this oil, at this price? what makes it so special? what does it have some other oil doesn't? thanks for your response, dennis

Of coarse everyone's not using it. Some people are old school and want straight 50w oil in their race engine, some think that the Gibbs oil is over priced while some believe that "oil is oil" and get theirs from big chain stores. I'm going to give you an example based on what some people do versus what we do as far as oil changes. People I know change their oil every race weekend. Lets just say they run 2 nights per weekend at local shows. They run 6 practice laps, 2 qualifying laps, 6 lap heat race and 20 lap feature. Thats 34 laps per night for a total of 68 laps. They buy 8 quarts of their brand of oil and a filter spending around $52-$53 per oil change for 68 laps. We run the XP3 Gibbs oil in our engines for 150-170 laps, change the filter and add a fresh quart of oil and run another 150-170 laps then change it all. The first guy will spend $260 on oil and filters to race 5 weekends where I spend $152.91 on 9 quarts of oil and $20 for 2 filters and have a racing oil with high levels zinc and phosphorus that are not found in road car oils. While I point out the cost and superior protection, I do understand that there are other oils that protect good and cost less. But after seeing the inside of my 602 crate engine after 1927 green flag laps, it will be hard to convince me to change. We used the Gibbs oils before I became a dealer. It's a product that I will stand behind 110% and if I didn't believe in it, I wouldn't use it and dang sure wouldn't sell it.

I agree with everything Chris has stated above-------We have rebuilt over 100 crate engines and been inside at least 200-----it is rare for us to say any oil is "BAD" but what I can say is we have seen some very remarkable results from the Gibbs products.----couple of stand outs>>>>

the first year we became involved with the crate stuff we did arond 25 engines in the off season

ALL of them (except 1) were run on Mobil 1 we saw very little wear everything looked surprisingly good in these engines---most had oil change intervals of 2 to 5 races (70 to 175 laps)

Then an engine came in that ran 75 races (over 2500 laps) with NO oil changes only 1 filter change at mid season----this engine belonged to a top team that won many features---it had absolutely no wear and no problems---We actually called them and asked if they brought us the correct engin or if some how it was mixed up with a newer engine.>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    This engine was on XP3 Joe Gibbs oil------I kinda wrote it off as fluke and continued to recommend Mobil 1.

a couple seasons later another 1 of our regular customers (who uses Gibbs) badly overheated his engine during a race at a big 5/8 mile track----when I say badly I mean the gauges were rapped around the other side----he continued to run the same engine for another 45 nights winning many of them and when we disassembled the engine (the same engine) in the tech building at the Grand nationals because he had just earned 1 of the top spots The engine showed NO wear

AT that point I became a believer in Joe Gibbs products

I have tons of stories but those 2 stand out the most and is the reason we use all Gibbs

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 02-12-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Just had our 820 hp 422" all aluminum sbc pulled apart to freshen and the engine builder told me the rod bearings looked perfect...Looked like they were brand new! We change the oil after 400 laps...Filter after 200 laps...Gibbs XP-3

Does it hurt an engine (602) to change from mobil 1 to gibbs?
    Is there any horsepower gain by instituting such change?
    Any opinions on cenpeco race oil?

I would suggest running some BR Break in Oil in it to help clean all the Mobil1 out then pour in the XP3 oil. The dyno does show somewhere around 6-8 HP gain over the Mobil1. It could be a little more, but I'm shooting the numbers on the low side. It actually ends up being cheaper in the long run because you can run it much longer.

To me I think the gibbs is over priced and i use the mobile 1 and have won alot of races on a 3 year old 602 crate and the inside of the motor after 3 years still looked good and still makes good power after 3 years. Yes gibbs oil does make power on the dyno,but it only numbers. If you want to see the proper horse power put your car on a chassis dyno and the you will see what horse power you have at the wheels were it really counts.

Default Beacon Lubricans

We have ran beacon Oil 20 50 for years and never had any problems Change every 4th week run 3 nights a week most times. Have ran in our Crate 604 as well as our open stuff. Brad has been inside our crate motor once told us it was spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by steelkiwi75 View Post
    surely not everyone is useing this oil, at this price? what makes it so special? what does it have some other oil doesn't? thanks for your response, dennis
    The Gibbs oil was developed without much regard to cost , they wanted the very best . It is a very good oil , probably the best off the shelf synthetic race oil there is . But very pricey . That's because of the chemical makeup . For race oils that are more in line price wise with the average racer , but with exceptional performance , Renegade Racing Fuels www.renegadepro1.com offers an excellent line of racing motor oils and gear oils .

gibbs oil is cheaper to run due to the fact that you can run the oil for so long. i started running mine 10 nights then 15. im gonna go to 20 shows this year. that would mean 1 full oil change between engine freshenings since i rebuilt at 40 nights! i do put a new filter on and 1 new qt of oil every 3-4 races.
    i used to run a mix of xp3 and xp6 but now they've come out with xp9 and im on that now.
    Last edited by stockcar5; 06-04-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: i cant type 200 wpm...

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    gibbs oil is cheaper to run due to the fact that you can run the oil for so long. i started running mine 10 nights then 15. im gonna go to 20 shows this year. that would mean 1 full oil change between engine freshenings since i rebuilt at 40 nights! i do put a new filter on and 1 new qt of oil every 3-4 races.
    i used to run a mix of xp3 and xp6 but now they've come out with xp9 and im on that now.
    I almost chocked when I saw the reason for the edit, But I agree on EVERY point. Try running regular oil OR Mobile 1 for 2 years running 1-2 nights a week from Jan-Oct and over 50% of them were over 50 lap races, without a rebuild and have 370 hp at the rear tires on a 604. That engine had the oil changed at 400 mile intervals, NOT laps but MILES! It also over heated once to the point the steam pressure killed the radiator and it finished the last 15 laps without the guage reading temp at the end of the last race of the first season.

some of you might not be old enough to remember this commercial but it definatly fits here

pay me now or pay me later

I look at it this way...They run the stuff 600 miles in one race. I run two shows a week and I change the oil 1/2 way through the season and change a filter every month.

2 seasons on the same motor never tore down. Broke a belt three weeks ago and decided I better check things out and it looked like the day I put it together.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

I agree with some of the previous testimonials on Gibbs Oil. It's cheaper just on oil since you don't have to change as often and its is WAY cheaper when it comes time to rebuild/refresh that motor.
    We run our stuff 150 laps between filter changes and top off and then 300 laps between complete oil changes.
    Last edited by Matt49; 06-05-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: clarity

so 604 no oil cooler.

Its a 2006. bought used. cant really afford a new one.

plan on changing somewhat regularly.

xp3, xp6, xp9, mixture?

XP9

3 is good when its cold out and/or dry slick conditions------6 is good in hot weather and/or hammer down racetracks

add them together and you get 9 -----best in average conditions

still waiting on my royalty check Lake----LOL

Brad

LOL Good job Brad...we ran XP-3 before, but now are running the XP-9...We run an average of 50 laps a night...We run 3-4 races and change the 2 qt filter and about 10-12 races before we dump the oil..14 quarts in a dry sump..

We run Amsoil and we usually run it all season, unless we get torn down a bunch. Its around 325 to 350 hp street stock . Thats about 400 laps on a quarter mile track.I change the filter every 7 to 8 nites which is around 150 or so laps.All the engines we have torn down have looked great. We used to run 20/ 50 valvoline and changed it every 3 weeks or about 60 laps, and the engines looked good also. I have noticed that the valvoline would be coal black after 60 or so laps and the amsoil is still pretty red after a full season.Never tried the gibbs, but it sounds like a good product. I pay about 10 dollars a quart for the amsoil. Is gibbs more or less??? What filters do you guys run. We run the wix race filter.

I run mobil 1 and change it randomly here and there, maybe 12-15 nights unless an issue comes up before then. Thats when I change my filter also.

I havent ever seen any noticeable wear and tear on any of my motors.

really cant beat gibbs, but a good oil you can run for couple hundred laps is brad penn 3 customers of mine with 800+ hp late model engines run brad penn 20-50 and there stuff looks great after 1200-1500 laps it also is good stuff.