Default What kind of gas mileage?

Looking at a truck. 1992 F350 supercab 2wdd dually 5spd. 460 cid.

Looking at towing racecar in a 24' and 28' enclosed.

What kid of mpg do these get dry and towing?

Trips range from 700-2000 miles.

I HAD an '88 F250, 4x4, 460 w/C6: 7-ish mpg around town empty and about 8.5-ish on the road. That went to 5.5-ish mpg towing a 24' enclosed trailer.

2wd and 5 speed should help, and they probably 'improved' the fuel injection some by '92, but I'm gonna guess that that it's still gonna hurt when ya fill that thing up and do the calculations
    I didn't say it was your fault - I just said I was blaming you.

With those kinds of trip miles and, if they are frequent, I would look for a "newer" truck with more chip options. If you are traveling in hilly country look for the fuel cost to dramatically increase.
    ......of course you could just build a track behind your double-wide and charge admittance!

I have a 95 crew cab dually 2 wd 460 ci with a cap and over drive if i stay out of the throtle i can get 12 mpg. Now towing a 32 ft trailer not in overdrive with a wind jammer to push the air over the trailer i was pushing 8.5 to 10 mpg. Now with the ethnol add to the fuel these days i'm down to 7 to 8 mpg towing and 10 mpg empty I find the truck runs better with sunco 93+ octane not the cheaper gas. If you are running alot of miles to and from the track you might as well look for a diesel i only had a 30 minute ride to the track so gas was not a big deal. This truck runs great but only moves on weekends. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinlatemodels View Post
    I have a 95 crew cab dually 2 wd 460 ci with a cap and over drive if i stay out of the throtle i can get 12 mpg. Now towing a 32 ft trailer not in overdrive with a wind jammer to push the air over the trailer i was pushing 8.5 to 10 mpg. Now with the ethnol add to the fuel these days i'm down to 7 to 8 mpg towing and 10 mpg empty I find the truck runs better with sunco 93+ octane not the cheaper gas. If you are running alot of miles to and from the track you might as well look for a diesel i only had a 30 minute ride to the track so gas was not a big deal. This truck runs great but only moves on weekends. Hope this helps.
    Diesel, .....without any questions!

I have been looking at the Diesels. Preferably a 02ish Duramax under 200k. But I cant get in one for under $11-12k around here and usually they're gone in hrs. Also diesel costs more. Not sure if I can make that cost up. And frankly I dont have the cash to do that AND race a SLM with no sponsors.

Right now I tow in a 02 GMC 3/4 ton with the 8.1 (492 cid) I get 8 mpg but I dont like putting the miles on it.

I like the idea of the wind jammer.

The deal is this truck in being auctioned off in 2 days. Sealed bids at bank. I drove it today, guy said I was the first. Also their is only two other bids so far. Thinking I maybe could get if for $2000-$2500, but if I really want it...$3025
    Also, there are 4 of us going in on a tow rig so its only $750/each. Truck is really clean. Really clean.

My tows are short. Only 700 mile trips. But the other guys have 800 mile trips. Mountain passes etc.

Track behind the doublewide?? That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by balljoint View Post
    I have been looking at the Diesels. Preferably a 02ish Duramax under 200k. But I cant get in one for under $11-12k around here and usually they're gone in hrs. Also diesel costs more. Not sure if I can make that cost up. And frankly I dont have the cash to do that AND race a SLM with no sponsors.

Right now I tow in a 02 GMC 3/4 ton with the 8.1 (492 cid) I get 8 mpg but I dont like putting the miles on it.

I like the idea of the wind jammer.

The deal is this truck in being auctioned off in 2 days. Sealed bids at bank. I drove it today, guy said I was the first. Also their is only two other bids so far. Thinking I maybe could get if for $2000-$2500, but if I really want it...$3025
    Also, there are 4 of us going in on a tow rig so its only $750/each. Truck is really clean. Really clean.

My tows are short. Only 700 mile trips. But the other guys have 800 mile trips. Mountain passes etc.

Track behind the doublewide?? That would be awesome.
    A man's gotta race when, a man's gotta race.........Drag it in with yo' sisters Pinto!
    Fuel cost should decline around November.......right?

Thats right. I dont count money in dollars, I count in tires!