Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ump stock car or pure street?

I recently purchased a stock car that was previously raced at crown point speedway before it closed. The car was ran in the pure street class, and has a 400 sbc. Id like to run it at shady hill next season but i'm unsure wether to swap engines to run pure street or if the 375 hp that the 400 currently makes is enough to run with the ump stock cars. The track rule states that I cannot run the 400 in pure streets so my options would have to be to bump up a class, which would be the ump stock cars or run a different engine. Im new to dirt track racing and would like to get some opinions on how my car would fare with in the higher class.
    Last edited by sa92287; 09-14-2012 at 10:57 PM.

sounds like a better pure stock motor

I know a guy running a crate motor in a UMP Street stock and finishing in the top 5... I would give that 400 a go.
    G&S RACING

Rcstreet, I think it would make a good pure stock motor myself, but they wont let a 400 run pure stocks at shady hill. Thanks for the input. Maybe ill have to give it a go in the higher class.

Default UMP streeter

If you need to use a 350 block. Go with a 3 7/8 stroke for 390 ci. On a 4412 it will make 450hp and good torque.

is there a ci limit or you just cant run 400 blocks. if you can run 400 you could make 377, thats what i would do

The rule say no chevrolet 400's, so id assume its the block, not ci. The car is setup to run pure street so after some thought i'd probably be better off sticking to that class. Anyone know of any good places to find a good pure street long block? I've built a couple street engines but never anything set up for this type of racing.

I would think that 375 hp is sufficient for the SS class. We don't have that much. i have the dyno sheet to prove it. You don't need it.

I always assumed that you guys ran higher horsepower than that. Like I said, im new to the dirt track so chassis setup and engine specs are all new to me. I have all winter to get the car ready, an dwould like to run with the engine I have. Anyone have any good build tips/part ideas for my engine and chassis?

We had championship in the bag last year until we got f****d running stock crank, stock rod 355

Default hp

375 aint even close to enough if you want to run up front.Where do they check to tell if its a 400. I seen a guy mill out casting number in back of engine.Then replaced numbers from 350 block little nickel weld and paint they never knew the difference.

You could swap casting numbers, but its still an externally balanced engine. I think a good tech would spot it quick. My car is a metric monte carlo with a powerglide and a ford 9in. The track rules also state that I cant run the powerglide in pure stocks so the more I think about it the higher class would be better. The way I see it, why should I spend money to make my car slower. I'd like to put my money into making it a competitive ump stock car. Any help on engine and chasis setup would be great. Thanks for all your input thus far.

Default hp

You just tell them 383 400 crank in 350 block ext balanced.

heres something most ppl dont no. not all 400s are externally balanced. it has to do with the bob weight. i run a 406 internally balanced..

Quote Originally Posted by connor View Post
    375 aint even close to enough if you want to run up front.
    ?? 9-1st, and 6-2nd so far this year with less than 375. Will send a pic of dyno sheet if I need to! You don't need it.

also one thing to consider is how big of a track your gunna run on and what the tracks gunna be like on a weekly basics. if its gunna be slick will help you out alot

If you dont mind me asking, what engine/trans do you run? What are your hp/torque numbers? Thanks

Ill be running on 3/8 mi. semi-banked oval.

If you are just starting out, you definately do not need a big engine... We won a track championship at Charleston with a 400 bored .060 with flat top KB pistons and an Elgin 1090 cam... Nothing special, and never paid more than $20 for a tire... Plain and simple, its not all about HP, its about track and driving. If your track is dryslick that HP ain't gonna help you much. Get some seat time with the motor and go from there... 3d knows what he is talkin about when it comes to not needing a bunch of motor. Watch his vids, its all driver. I don't think we won more than maybe 1 or 2 heat races, won a bunch of features with that motor... It died 17 weeks, but anywhere we went a top 5 motor... Put in a borrowed even smaller motor and went out and won. We finished 26th national, and 9th state points, in UMP
    Last edited by kgip2k; 09-23-2012 at 04:01 AM.
    G&S RACING

Quote Originally Posted by 3dracer View Post
    I would think that 375 hp is sufficient for the SS class. We don't have that much. i have the dyno sheet to prove it. You don't need it.
    Like this guy. Not horsepower but chassis.

Get the set-up right.