Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

just to carry on the conversation, why do people run the rf heaiver setup?

stock metric roll centers are below ground level but depending on what software you use when plotting it the numbers will not be accurate below ground level. the cheaper programs are not designed to calculate below the ground. all you need to know is if its below ground or not and fix it. and yes raising the roll center will allow for much softer springs.

trying to learn...

LF heavy take away bite on entry so can run more bite in car correct?

heavy spring gets the weight, on entry most weight goes to LF which takes cross (bite) out of car and loosens entry, then wieght is transfer to RF spring which is softer and at that time allows more compression of weight onto the spring which in turn transfer more weight to the LR as you pick up the throttle, tighting the car correct?

RF heavy spring adds cross (bite) into the car on corner entry which keeps it tighter on entry.

softer LF spring help loosen car at entry known fact so yo can still run more cross (bite)

Heavy RF spring recieve more wight then LF which keeps Cross (bite) in car through out mid and exit. May not transfer wieght as well but keeps car tighter through mid and exit

just trying to learn so i know what am doing to the car not just putting a set up on the car.

Late models always run a stiffer lf

stiffening the lf spring tightens entry by reducing bite on entry. best thing about tuning with the lf spring is it has little effect on corner exit. there is also a slight aero advantage to pinning the rf on entry and letting the lr up in the air. of course its more prevelant on cars with decks and spoilers.

Seems like lm and mods stopped picking up the lf years ago... Its hard to believe that running lighter springs in a metric front end in a stock than we do in a chevelle front stub on a modified works. Have to give it a try sometime this season i guess see what happens...

Brought this back up top as it is similar to my car and hoping to get some more input on a 3400 metric pure stock setup. I am interested in the idea of the soft spring setup but cant find recomendations for spring rates front or rear from tha man? If you know the setup and not judge could you pm me the info please rates, length and shocks and any info possible. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by twizted; 09-25-2012 at 10:20 PM.

I've seen on here that some people say run the rear lower control arms as close to the rear end housing as possible and some say run them as low as you can and with 10-15 degrees of angle ? I'm just wondering what the different ways will affect ? We're having a 2 night show next weekend and I was wanting some info on this before next week. I know it's trial and error, but I don't want to run bad in the heat and put me in the back for the feature without not knowing what this will effect !!! Thanks, Ricky

Thumbs up Springs and cont arm angles

http://www.printsextreme.com/Wilmot_...g_p125254.html

Ran 750 LF 700 RF Car weight 1725 accross nose Ride height 7.5 to 8.5 ranges
    No bottom out

Lower cont. arms the more up hill angle to the front the FASTER
    the rear tires will hook up But not as long down the straight

The flatter the angle the longer it will stay hooked up yet not as fast

With the heavyer left front loosens going in (I ran less than 3/4" stagger)
    AAnd 150 # Left rear bite

Default Drive in

Granted this is a B- Main

Yet the front 4 cars including me are all top 10 in points.

Just a live example The 53 car and the 13 car run the heavy front springs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLawQqu2QQ

The softer springs along with the more left roll center Lets the
    front susp work

I started 18 in the feature finnished 8th that night.