Default 604 Crate Engine Re-Builders

Should i start with a new engine or re-built for the extra hp that is gained?

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post
    Should i start with a new engine or re-built for the extra hp that is gained?
    If you get a decent new engine there is not a big hp difference in that and a rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    If you get a decent new engine there is not a big hp difference in that and a rebuilt.
    That sounds like it might be too risky. Afterall ,we'll be traveling to the bigger paying races. BTW, this will be our first year in a crate

Default 604

If you can find a good used one that is running,,, a rebuild will be about 3000 and the motor will be good to go. Don Blackshear in Hermatage Pa is good guy to work with and does an excellent job,, This will be our first year with the crate also on the NE tour,,

Scott Smith 2% Rayburn Racecar

That sounds like it might be too risky. Afterall ,we'll be traveling to the bigger paying races. BTW, this will be our first year in a crate
    We traveled with Fastrak and Nesmith from Tenn, Va, Ga, Al, Fl and North and South Carolina and won several races including major races with a straight from GM crate, Shannon Buckingham never ran rebuilds, only new GM engines. It is actually a bigger gamble to buy a used one from someone that is not a builder.

We traveled with Fastrak and Nesmith from Tenn, Va, Ga, Al, Fl and North and South Carolina and won several races including major races with a straight from GM crate, Shannon Buckingham never ran rebuilds, only new GM engines. It is actually a bigger gamble to buy a used one from someone that is not a builder.
    Actually, we were planning on buying a used one, and having it re-built. Dont want to start off being 10-20 hp short. Wont i be spending about the same money? Does any re-builders on here sell freshened up 604's?

Quote Originally Posted by scottracer View Post
    If you can find a good used one that is running,,, a rebuild will be about 3000 and the motor will be good to go. Don Blackshear in Hermatage Pa is good guy to work with and does an excellent job,, This will be our first year with the crate also on the NE tour,,

Scott Smith 2% Rayburn Racecar
    Scott,
    welcome to FASTRAK and the N.E.----I agree Don is a great choice we have recommended him to many guys.

Don Blackshear's shop # is 724-342-2827

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    Scott,
    welcome to FASTRAK and the N.E.----I agree Don is a great choice we have recommended him to many guys.

Don Blackshear's shop # is 724-342-2827

Brad
    Any re--builders here from the deep South?

Actually, we were planning on buying a used one, and having it re-built. Dont want to start off being 10-20 hp short. Wont i be spending about the same money? Does any re-builders on here sell freshened up 604's?
    You will never see 10-15 hp and would be better off spending the time and $$ on setup. We won 11 races running a 604 against the limiteds in Florida and Ga at places that included Eastbay, Volusia and Ocala. and we did not get any breaks for the crate. We actually only finished outside the top 10 twice in about 40 races that year.

Zeigler racing engines in St Petersburg/Clearwater area.

You will never see 10-15 hp and would be better off spending the time and $$ on setup. We won 11 races running a 604 against the limiteds in Florida and Ga at places that included Eastbay, Volusia and Ocala. and we did not get any breaks for the crate. We actually only finished outside the top 10 twice in about 40 races that year.
    Thanks for the info. When u say limiteds, do u mean NLMS? If so, what car no. was it,as Im sure Ive seen u at these tracks. Who did u use to freshen it up or did u just buy new?

Thanks for the info. When u say limiteds, do u mean NLMS? If so, what car no. was it,as Im sure Ive seen u at these tracks. Who did u use to freshen it up or did u just buy new?
    17ss I was crew chief for Shan from 2003-2007.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Beware of Ego, hes all Ego and no first hand knowledge, he hasnt ever owned or raced a car and its never even been confirmed if hes been on anyones team that would claim him.

I would talk to Hendrens performance engines if you want first hand knowledge about new vs new or rebuilt etc. They used to build 30-40k motors and now 85% of their work is on crate motors! They have their own chassis dyno and dont blow smoke. I have emailed them off their site and got some usefull replies and I dont have a crate at all. They are willing to help anyone!

Jeff
    Beware of this poster as he is a proven liar as this was the first time I have ever said who I was with or when but he has posted otherwise. As for who knows me call Steve Hendren as we have spoken many hours on the phone and they are great to deal with, Tim Simms also knows me and you can ask Stan Lester, Chris Steele, Ray Miller and I helped Ken Kinney start the UDLMCS for the first couple of years.
    Last edited by Egoracing; 02-15-2012 at 06:44 PM.

BEWARE of SCD...Ive been on this site for over 10 years and have yet to see him not have a SHYTty attitude from day one. He races asphalt and doesnt even know what Eldora is...as for EGO ive seen him in heated debates and sometimes he's right sometimes wrong or misinformed but alot of the time he is right on when he gives advice but watch...which child responds...at least EGO is a man about things while the old fart SCD will bitch like I just took his passy.

I bought one from Paul Hickman at PMI there in Hixson, TN. Very happy with the power and the feedback i got with the motor. They also have a chassis dyno for tuning, in house machine shop, and a custom carb built for crate motors. Pauls cell number is 423-332-0392 you can also check out there web site www.performancemasters.net