Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Questions for dynoman14?

Since u are in Ga.,who would you recommend as a 604 crate rebuilder?I am assuming you are a tuner based on what ive read.Sorry if thats not true.

Should I start with a new one, or buy used and have it re-built?

What are the hp differences between the two?Ive been told new ones are all over the place.

some will agree some wont ....RACETEK....last place I picked mine and it was actuall 5 HP above what he claimed but then again not every dyno is the same....also dont buy into the bullshi t your about to hear from everyone about staying away from dynoman....just make sure you check your info and take things with a grain of salt. some people think he's a snake oil salesman but then again i bet they are getting beat listening to their snake oil saleman that works on their stuff. mans gotta eat so theyll all sell you what you buy into know yoru facts and buy accordingly and dont ever ddiscredit a man for stepping into the grey area or trying a new way of thinking

Quote Originally Posted by supercomet32 View Post
    some will agree some wont ....RACETEK....last place I picked mine and it was actuall 5 HP above what he claimed but then again not every dyno is the same....also dont buy into the bullshi t your about to hear from everyone about staying away from dynoman....just make sure you check your info and take things with a grain of salt. some people think he's a snake oil salesman but then again i bet they are getting beat listening to their snake oil saleman that works on their stuff. mans gotta eat so theyll all sell you what you buy into know yoru facts and buy accordingly and dont ever ddiscredit a man for stepping into the grey area or trying a new way of thinking
    Im not buying into all the negative about dynoman.He definitely thinks outside the box, as well as I do.

His customers that post on here always have good things to say about him and his products.

My dad was personal friends with Smokey Yunick, and most people at that time didnt like him either., but look at everybody says about him now.

Ill be using some of his products, and Ill let you know my results.(unless there too good,and ill keep it to myself)

Default 604 in GA

DRTTRK244,
    I am not a certified builder but I do have my engines fully inspected before and during the build process by 2 Certified engine builders in GA.( Darrell Gabriel and Johnny Pruitt ). I will dyno the engines at their shops prior to leaving and once they are all good I get the seals put on them.

I am able to build engines for UMP and NE Mod without seals and build and re-build 10-15 of them per year.

I also build Outlaw Crates for the NE and Mid-West that have both pavement and dirt stock appearing style engines that use 100% Crate parts. These engines check legal in almost every aspect but stretch the rules in a couple areas and they are capable of 500+ HP with GM 604 parts. I have a couple road race customers that run very competitive in their series running against open engines weighing 300# more and their crates are close to 600hp, our only change is we are open on valve springs and we run my "Alien" branded 1.250" springs on those engines and turn them 7800. I can tell you from experience if you get off on timing 1-2* or get bad gas the 604 pistons turn to butter. We have since gone to a "Ti-Ceramide" coating that will withstand 40 degrees of timing and 20% lean without melting.

I knew Mr. Yunick pretty good as I got into a pretty well known argument with him at a PRI Show in Columbus OH, back when I ran Serdi Corp. It was related to rod length, piston speed as it relates to restrictor plate engines. The following year at Indy he came by, bought me a beer at the concession stand bar and told me that I was exactly right. I already knew that as we had 3 cars in the top five and five cars in the top 10 at Daytona ARCA Speed weeks, all the drivers we rental customers mostly late-model guys that had never been there before...

From that point on we were pretty tight. I hated to see him go. Since the late 90's I have tried to work on one of his ideas that GM purchased and locked away in the vaults. He was using "gas vapor" technology to get 1bout 100mpg and 500hp on a 350 chevy. I saw one of the old test engines at his garage and it had an old 1BBL Stromberg Casting on it with a top that screwed on from a welding tank. Anyway that was just one of the many things he did about 50 years before it was time, I always used to joke that he must have been born in one of them restricted areas like AREA54 or whatever it was called.

So if you want you can contact Joe & Bobby Dauderman, they won the Crate-V-Open engine race last year at BelleClaire with a Fastrak Legal 604 I built him. Yea it was slick and he was on the bottom but a win is a win, right.

As far as what I do different, well to start with I pre-select the best parts you can get. There is +/- 10 difference in heads, intakes, cams, carbs, waterpumps, ps systems, belt drives, distributors, headers, extensions, mufflers and the list goes on. If you maximize every part and confirm it via testing on the flow bench, engine dyno and chassis dyno, then you can have a piece that is +50HP better than you started with.

PM me and I'll let you know some of what I have found in the last couple weeks chassis dyno testing some new ideas on my engines for a couple top CUP drivers that also run crate late-models.

Nothing against Dynoman14 and his programs and I know they are in NC, but Hendrens is a certified Nesmith, Fastrack and GM crate engine rebuilder. They are upfront, very knowledgable and will do you right. We just got our "open" engine freshened, needed all new Titanium valves and a new aluminum ATI super dampner and he came in under the original quote plus the added parts by $600.
    Last edited by sj valley dave; 02-16-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Where is this at? Ive only ever seen one person claim to use his products and he claimed it didnt do what dynoman said, lol..

So since you say they are on here please copy paste Ill love to see all these good things said about him.
    Its been a while, since i dont keep up with the crate stuff.

I have a family friend who has alot of dyno experience testing all kinds of hp motors. He says dynoman is working on the right areas of making power. At one time, he worked for Holley, designing and testing carbs for NHRA pro stockers. If he says dynomans right, then i know he is!

So with that in mind, Ill take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Ok so just to be clear you havent seen any posts on here by his customers?? You posted that you had but now recant that statement?
    Yes, i have but its been awhile.

Dynoman, your pm box is full.

We have been using dynoman's stuff for 4 years now and have always been very satisfied with his work! His carburetors are second to none...IMO.

We don't get on here and post about it very often for several reasons.
    1. Just like any other racer, when we find something that works we don't run around the pits telling everyone so that they can do the same.
    2. We don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with those that don't agree with his methods.
    3.We don't post on any forum on any topic very often.....just not that into it.

We will just keep winning with dynoman and let others do what they wish!

Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by 00BusDriver View Post
    We have been using dynoman's stuff for 4 years now and have always been very satisfied with his work! His carburetors are second to none...IMO.

We don't get on here and post about it very often for several reasons.
    1. Just like any other racer, when we find something that works we don't run around the pits telling everyone so that they can do the same.
    2. We don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with those that don't agree with his methods.
    3.We don't post on any forum on any topic very often.....just not that into it.

We will just keep winning with dynoman and let others do what they wish!

Thanks Mark!
    A smart racer never tells everything, he just points you in the right direction. Then its up to you, to figure the rest out!

Default testimonial

I have a carb at his shop now. I have been dealing with him for two years. Everything he has EVER told or sold me has worked as advertised.

The reason you do not hear about it is we don't care if you like him or not.

How about shut up and race.

but is it crate rule legal???

IF he's winning with it Id say yes its legal. If he's getting DQ'd Id say no...i fyour not pushinng the rule book your leaving something on the table. AND HE IS WINNING WITH IT

Lets compair apples to apples:
    1. What are you running of Dynomans?
    2. Are you turning the engine 7000+

Just because he is winning really means VERY little. We won limited AND open late model races with a straight form GM crate and we were not using ANYTHING that Dyno sells even though he posted that we were running it. When we won 2 of the 3 Nesmith races at Eastbay he posted on here that the winners at EastBay Crate Races were using his parts. Neither car that won that weekend was using ANYTHING he sells. Then his reply was that many crew members buy his parts and put them on the cars without the driver or car owner ever knowing!

I guess you didnt see a winning driver post tha the was using dyno's stuff...then someon easked was it legal...he has won numerous races im sure if it werent he wouldve gotten caught....like i tor not dyno's stuff is in use and it is in winning race cars...is it unorthodox sure is it in the great area sure but is it illegal? if it makes it through tech id say no its not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by supercomet32 View Post
    I guess you didnt see a winning driver post tha the was using dyno's stuff...then someon easked was it legal...he has won numerous races im sure if it werent he wouldve gotten caught....like i tor not dyno's stuff is in use and it is in winning race cars...is it unorthodox sure is it in the great area sure but is it illegal? if it makes it through tech id say no its not illegal.
    Yes I did, I asked what he was running and if he was turning the engine 7000+. Never asked a single thing about if it was legal. One person that has posted here that siad they were running the springs and oil said his engine would not hit 7000+rpm but floated the valves at about 6700 which is where stock valves fall off. ON one has claimed that they have hit the RPM OR power that Dyno is claiming.
    If you do some research you can finr Dyno on other boards and even on E bay. His system is so good that he has bought several sets of used crate engine valve springs on E bay and "treated" them and resold them to others as Alien springs. I guess his process can restore worn out valve springs back to original, to bad Nascar knows nothing about it or they would just be re-using springs, also an easy way to make a much higher proffit also.

Mr. ego, what I said a couple years ago was that the one of the owners purchased some of my stuff and contacted me back to order some more. I was told via e-mail and phone that it was on the cars in question and I was called from the tech shed when the springs were tested and they were fine. If this was a fabrication by the person on the other end of the phone then I was given the wrong information.

I currently supply many parts for drivers and team owners that have their engines done elsewhere and do not tell anybody about what replacement parts go on their engines. The best way to lose an advantage is to talk about it. I have openly discussed much of what I do to promote discussions on how to make crates better for racing. In most cases my ideas are openly criticized by folks that have never run the parts.

I have purchased prolly $20K worth of crate stuff on e-bay in the last year or two. I have posted on here about these springs once already but I will do it again as ego's memory must be going bad. I use an old Metal-Lax table with a couple different generators on it. I have found that if I install springs in all positions on the table it works better as the frequency generators are tuned to a specific mass that is loaded on the table. When I re-treat small customer spring batches of springs, I need extras to take up the extra spots on the treatment table as well as the submerge tank.

I have never sold a used spring to a customer as a new treated spring. They only cost $25 set when you buy them in bulk and it is not even worth taking a chance on a failure on someones discards.

I have discussed my proprietary spring treatment process more openly this year as the 3 year non-disclose agreement I signed with a Major GM Supplier has expired. As I have mentioned in a couple other posts "valve loft" or "controlled extended valve lift" are some terms that can be used to describe how my treated parts contribute to extended RPM and power increases.

Thru this process I have discovered a specific valve spring frequency that coincides with controlled valve loft. That is why I have my springs marked for Intake and Exhaust. Since the valves are significantly different mass the frequency at which they start to float is way different.

As far as running extended RPM's I have said in the past that to do so successfully, you would need to run my treated springs retainers and locks, along with my engine oil and filter package. You also have to have an electrical, spark system and fuel delivery and exhaust system to be adequate to run up to 7500 in order to achieve extended RPMs with the 604 engine system. I have been working with a well know header builder to get custom primaries, collectors and extensions made to facilitate the process and we have made sequential major gains in the last 4-5 sets of headers. I am currently waiting on a couple sets for New Style Bloomquist chassis as well as the Updated Rocket fronts. Our header spec uses different lengths and diameters along with a unique tunable collector / extension / muffler systems. We tune them on the dyno and supply them to our engine customers. We have seen as much as 40# @ on the bottom for our short track system ( -10hp 6500 ) and +20-25HP at 6500 on our top end systems with only a sacrifice of about 15# at 2500rpms.

As I have been saying for the last 5 years the single biggest gain you can make is matching the fuel curve of your carb to the fuel you are running ( +/- 20HP ). From that point the next biggest gain is matching your distributor timing curve to the acceleration curve of the engine and the burn curve of the fuel. There is about 50HP that you can gain working with bolt-ons and probably 20-25Hp in the rebuild of the engine so from that you could determine that bolt-ons in the right combination might be 2 times more important than a re-build. That is why so many of the really good teams just swap out stock engines every 3-4 races when they lay down. That way they can use their own commbintation of Carb, headers, pulley systems and componennts. Chassis dyno will tell you this in a skinny minute.

If you want to cipher some of this stuff out on your own take 2 or 3 different PS pumps and drive them with a drill and see how much power they pull by putting an AMP Clamp on the power cord of the drill. Do the same thing with a water pump and a couple 5 Gallon jugs and you will quickly find out what I have been doing for the last 30 years.

The reason that it is multi-dimensional in FI fuel mapping is that all of these parameters change with barometer and temp, load, throttle position, vacuum... That is why electronic injection systems on NASCAR engines include adjustable timing, intensity at the coil, and fuel at each cylinder.

Carbureted systems benefit from the same applications. If you want to change the timing at each cylinder you work with the distributor, rotor and cap, if you want to change the temp / fuel mixture at one corner you change jetting, air bleeds, spacer location, carburetor mounting angle or position. There is always another way to skin the cat.

9 Years doing crates starting in 2000 for GM Road Racing then to ASA, Southern All-Stars, UMP, Fastrak, Ne-Smith, Mid-West Dirt, NE Outlaws and have never had a DQ with 100+ race winning tear downs.

I did have a close call with Daudeman last year as I had a multiple race winning engine with too low cranking compression like 100-120. I just told the tech man it was slap wore out and I would have to rebuild it. They inspected the valvetrain and check the cam with the valvetrain cam doctor and found it all to be legal.

Wonder what low cranking compression might indicate or might produce dynamically???

Got it back to the shop and it was still on the HP #'s. Their next engine was little better with new headers and carb and it showed on the track.

Default Drttrkr 244

Thanks for the positive comments, your Pro-Stock buddy is a wizard and I have used a lot if his ideas and opinions in developing my own products.

Now to answer your questions;

New engines are not that much "all over the board" on the ones I have seen on the dyno. Most of them fall in the 380-400hp on the Engine Dyno's that I use. If you heat up the oil to 250*F and run MS-109 with a real good carb you might see 420 out of the box.
    Take that same engine and dyno test it with an out of the box 650HP, pump premium and 180-200* oil you get pretty clost to 400hp.

I prefer to build engines from scratch. You can select parts out and get a better balance on pistons, pins, rods and crankshaft. Cranks vary +/- 100g pretty easy from crank to crank, get your parts matched and you get a much smoother running engine.

Also allows me to flow test and match heads to intake as well as exhaust headers. By doing this I can figure out why certain engines like bigger or smaller, longer or shorter headers.

Bearing fit is also a critical area to look at because there can be 5-10hp bound up here depending on which bearings you select and how tight you run your clearances. Crank can be polished or machined up to .010" within the rules. I have run a couple road race engines turned to SJ with LS Powder rods, and 1.880 for Honda rods on a open deal and have not had any crankshaft problems.

I have seen some major gains in piston & ring fitting and prep, along with the final bore size & finish. GM's stock rings are expensive but they work better than most any others.

Cam selection can gain you some free HP if you know what to look for. All of my Stock GM cam cores are cam doctored and recorded to insure they are what they are supposed to be. I purchase 10 cams off E-Bay that were supposed to be 604's and they were Hot cams. Ended up using them in ASA engines as they use the actual GM rule book for their camshaft parameters.

Oil pump prep is critical to running extended RPMS as well as the installation of the cam bearings. I have been accused of cheating on the oil pumps and they are stock. If folks knew how an SBC oils they might actually know how to do something to influence oil pressure without affecting frictional drag on the oil pump and other rotating and reciprocating parts. Almost all of an engines power loss is due to Heat Losses with a good portion of that being frictional losses. Figuring out where you want it and where you don't is a bit tricky and then doing something about it is the real trick.

So the short answer is new is good, start from scratch is better, costs are higher but so is the HP you get in the end.

I have cleared my PM box sometimes it fills up over the weekend if I don't get to it.

No you did NOT, That is an out right lie, Eastbay has no phones in the tech shed and You can not tell me a single phone number of ANYONE on either team if you tried! You posted that your stuff was on the top 3 cars at East Bay Each night. When I called you out you then said that you thought I was talking about the superlate model race and after someone else pointed out that they were not even running Supers. I am still not sure why you would try that in the crate forum, and you said that crew members buy your stuff and put it in the car without anyone else knowing!
    That was also about the time that you said that a specific Nascar driver was using the Onstar system for traction control management and NASCAR hired an F1 Engineer to set up a satelite blocking network and when they turned it on during the race the driver spun out!

I do remember something about a satellite based traction control system a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by pieman View Post
    ego
    your a first class POS!!!!
    u pick fights with any person that acts like they no a thing or two about racing
    or anything else thats said..
    u and a couple other priks... that think there gods gift to 4.M..
    and EGO youve ben beatin this dead horse for over four years know..
    get over it.. or shut your mouth and learn about racing..
    ive never seen one person get on 4.M and back u up.
    not your so called team mates or anybody!!
    for all i know your a liar...
    i bet u couldnt super tune a lawn mower . or a 604 crate engine!
    u couldnt even set up a rocking chair , or a crate late..
    dynoman has forgot more than you'll ever know about racing..
    so go f urself..
    and another thing CELL phones do work in the tech shed at eastbay.
    so what am i a LIAR!!! haha think not u pos!!!!
    build u car and prove yourself..
    im like people from missiouri .....SHOWME!!!!
    and i will believe..
    so stop runnin your jib and get out to the race track and prove your self..
    all you do is run your lips like you know every thing& have done everything there is to do to a race car ..
    if this were true.. the allmighity ego would have a car on the front row of the world 100 this comeing year.
    and ego as far as i know . your just dude with a keyboard that likes to stir the pot
    a real first class pos!
    you dont make a liveing fooling with race cars.. your just a guy that wishes he did!
    so get what ever is shoved up your glory hole ....out..
    and we all will feel better...
    u first class POS!
    :-)
    P.S the spinout king was jimmy j.
    No one in the tech shed got a phone call and his original story was totally different as it is every time he posts about it. The reason it was brought up was for people that were not on here to hear his rants when he got called out and ran and hid for several months and was not on here. Now please if all you are going do is call names then keep to yourself. I posted what was proven and that was all. I asked if someone was getting what he claimed to be able to do, which several have said that they were not, and you jump on infantile rant.