Default Side mount winch

Just bought an enclosed trailer. They had the winch in the very front in the cabinet but I don't want it there. I want to put it to the right under the rampover. I've seen this configuration before using a snatchblock in the center. My quetsion is how is everyone mounting the snatchblock?

We ran a chain from the other side of the trailer (tied to one of the bolts that holds the ramps down), it was about 4' long, and mounted about 2' further forward than the winch. Then get a pulley, slide it on the cable, put a hook on there so you can hook to the chain, and you're good to go.

Make the chain a bit long so you can experiment with which link to use to get it to pull on the center of the drum.
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

Default Winch

I have mine mounted this way, used a longer piece of E-Track with a connector for the snatch block and one to tie the car down. Use the heavy duty strap type and keep an eye on it, I have worn a few out pulling in a 2700# car.

I was thinking about mounting a recessed d-ring to the floor and hooking a pulley into that. Just wasn't sure about the poundages I needed for the pulley. I heard for a 3000# car I'd need somewhere around 6000# pulley.

That would work too. Not sure on the WLL of the block though, I got mine at Tractor Supply. I would definitely position the winch so the D-ring is tied into a floor brace. Also, I winch off the back frame rail to take all the pulling angle out of the cable.

Justin

I've got a big hook I put around my axle (steel) close as I can to the center section and pull that way. I used to have the axle strap but the hook is so much easier to use.

We used a D ring in the floor with with a single pulley then an axle strap around the rear cross bar on the frame that the fuel cell is mounted too. This has been in use for over 17 yrs with no problems at all. Winch is mounted under the ramps also and work great. Now we do use a Warn winch 3500 and has great pulling power.

Warn 3700 here so it should be fine. It had no issues pulling up my car on an open trailer and it had more angle to it than this enclosed.

I do like the e-track idea but hate having the track in the floor. Seems like something to get a lot of dirt into and just muck up. D-ring is a little simpler and probably cheaper too. Trying to avoid trip hazards. when the car is unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
    Just bought an enclosed trailer. They had the winch in the very front in the cabinet but I don't want it there. I want to put it to the right under the rampover. I've seen this configuration before using a snatchblock in the center. My quetsion is how is everyone mounting the snatchblock?
    you dont want your pulley or snatch block in the center, youll be tripping over it all the time.

Mount it just inside your tires on whichever side the winch is on.

Mine is this way, I mounted a eye bolt thru the floor into the frame of the trailer, I did have to weld a tube accross two crossmembers for this to end up just in line with where I put my winch.

The winch is best mounted just in front of your front tire, that way when the car is in the pulley is under the nose etc. You hook on the back of the car so you can get it all the way in.

Everything is mounted on the pass side of the trailer so the winch and pulley on the floor are under my tire rack and a non issue all the time.

I hook onto my rear bumper tow cable that the tracks require. I use 3/16 cable so its small and easy to throw under the car and replace it when it gets frayed too much from rubbing on the floor before it goes down the ramp.

I have a u bolt welded to my axle and I hook a chain there that is my rear tie down, then just pull the car fwd until its tight and put my two straps on the front, I always loosen my winch cable. I broke 2 in the past going down the road, surely because of how small I use but 3 tie down points is enough anyways.

tractor supplyt has a split hook that has a pully on it ,open hook connect to d ring on floor. pully and hook stay on cable.hook is dbl sided and closes on ring. u may want to put a piece of pipe between ur ramp overs back where the trailer starts to tilt down,if not the cable will drag on your floor. notch the angle at bottom of ramp near floor, weld a bolt to a end cap on both ends of pipe and drop in notches in ramp over bottom angles. all this can be layed on ramps at track.no trip hazards.

The idea is to make the pulley removable so after the car is unloaded I can remove the pulley from the d-ring and put it to the side