Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help with Wheelbase on a Shaw modified

I have a 09 Shaw modified that I'm trying to get the correct wheelbase measured up, all the 4 link trailing arms are right where Kevin's setup book says to be at. I have measured 3 different times to confirm the wheelbase and the car shows to be trailing on the RR by 3/4 of an inch. Is there an exact place where to measure at on a Shaw? How would I need to go about fixing the wheelbase to the correct 1/4" trail? Thanks for any help!

Where are you measuring from? What bar lengths are you using? Putting the bars on 14 and 16 should put the rearend heads up.

I was measuring from the motor plate and at the bottom of the lower a frame grease fittings to the center of rearend. I was actually just told that you have to measure off the square tubing where the 4 bar brackets weld on to. I'm using the bar lengths that are in the Shaw setup book.

Go from the motor plate to double check. Without knowing the history of your particular car; it is always best to go from something you know is straight. Are your bars in the Shaw recommended location?

Yes, all the bars are in the recommended locations. When I measure from the 4 bar bracket square tubing to the rearend it is squared up. But when I measure from the motor plate or from the bottom of the lower a frame grease fittings to the center of the rearend, it shows to be 3/4 of an inch back. The car is straight never been bent. I was just curious if you can't go off the grease fittings or the motor plate measurements on a Shaw to square the rearend up. I heard some other chassis builders have this same issue with there frames.

Your motor plate should be straight in the car. If your rear end measures straight but from the lower ball joints shows rr back, the clip is probably turned. A lot of builders turn the to the left between 3/4 and an inch or more. Hope this helps.

If you're good off of the square tube then you're good to go. I would trail the RR a little though, at least a 1/4".
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Default Shaw modified

when i was talking to kevin he told me to massure from the square tubing that the four bar brackets are welded to he told me on a shaw you shouldnt massure from the motorplate or the ball joints... so thats how i do mine and works great for me and yes the right side is a bit longer than the left side

Is the common theme to trail the RR a 1/4? Or straight up?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw202 View Post
    I have a 09 Shaw modified that I'm trying to get the correct wheelbase measured up, all the 4 link trailing arms are right where Kevin's setup book says to be at. I have measured 3 different times to confirm the wheelbase and the car shows to be trailing on the RR by 3/4 of an inch. Is there an exact place where to measure at on a Shaw? How would I need to go about fixing the wheelbase to the correct 1/4" trail? Thanks for any help!
    #1 do not rely on bar lengths from a book
    #2 Chassis builders some times position lower a frames where they want in relation to the frame
    #3 If the front of the car is turned to the left do not measure from the lower ball joints
    #4 Apparently ,if you have a Shaw car the midplate is turned in relationship to the main tubes going back from the midplate
    #5 Get the low down on how your chassis is really built!

Just set trailing arms to the length your set up manuals says, check birdcage indexing, check your length from the square tubing under your trailing mounts to either the front or back of axel tubes with a square and adjust accordingly. Your done. I would set it square and not trail rr to start out with because shaws are loose and turn well anyway.

A alignment rack will tell you how square the axle is.

Alignment rack will not help. Once again, the square that the 4 link mounts are welded to is the point that you use to square the car with. 1/4" To start and adjust from there. This is not rocket science.

xxxmod, you must have never owned a jig built car. Every Shaw that I have owned and or worked on, the book was correct every time.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGRT12x View Post
    Alignment rack will not help. Once again, the square that the 4 link mounts are welded to is the point that you use to square the car with. 1/4" To start and adjust from there. This is not rocket science.

xxxmod, you must have never owned a jig built car. Every Shaw that I have owned and or worked on, the book was correct every time.
    Oh, so a alignment rack won't tell you if the rear axle is square to the car ?????????? Could you tell me why ????????

What are you going to square off of? The front tires?

So I take it you never seen one work ? It will show , wheel base both sides, rear axle off-set left to right, rear axle thrust line, will also show if the front wheels are even or one of them more forward or backward than the other, same with the rear.

I've been blessed over the years to have one available to check things.

Worked in Autobody after high school, seen plenty of them and never had a race car on an alignment rack. So a car with a turned stub, you're going to square up with the front end then right? Or are you going to input the measurements at the midplate into the system as a square point? Also remember, caster is going to play a part in your wheelbase. To correctly square a car you must use square points on the chassis, intended to be used to square the car.

Point being, it's not going to help. By the time you've loaded the car up and hassled with a rack, you could have had it done with a tape measure and common sense.

Does Shaw measure and scale with driver IN or OUT ?

Out of car

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrunner35 View Post
    So I take it you never seen one work ? It will show , wheel base both sides, rear axle off-set left to right, rear axle thrust line, will also show if the front wheels are even or one of them more forward or backward than the other, same with the rear.

I've been blessed over the years to have one available to check things.
    Theres nothing to check with a alignment rack on a racing chassis that has been built with the stub turned and not Square to start with.