Thread: Vortec vs humps

Default Vortec vs humps

Anybody using the 1.94/1.50 valves the vortecs come with? All my competition is running vortecs. Just wondering if I still have a chance with mildly ported camel humps. Running a 406 flattop solid cam. My humps are at about 60cc.
    Would stock vortecs be an improvement?
    Run 1/2 mile tracks.

The vortec is the best factory type cylinder head you can put on a engine. I just took my bowtie vortecs to the machine shop yesterday to be gone threw. My 14 to 1 421 with ported sportsmans makes about 15 hp more than my 383 thats 13 to 1 with vortecs. I have big valves in the vortecs but no port work... I would suggest the bowties if your going to do it. They are the same heads but a heavier casting.. stockers are known to crack..

Quote Originally Posted by burnerdaddy View Post
    I would suggest the bowties if your going to do it. They are the same heads but a heavier casting.. stockers are known to crack..
    the vortec bowties arent even close to the same as a stock vortec. way better port shape, flow both both intake and v/c patterns screw in studs big springs already machined for ect..

Default heads

We took of a set of humps, with pocket porting, replaced them with a set of stock Vortecs, with no other changes to the engine, and picked up a smooth 30hp. Only problem with the Vortecs is they eventually crack.TB

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure were allowed the bowties. There are 2 casting numbers that aren't legal I think one ends in 351 and the other 371?
    But either way I guess I have some shopping to do.

Anybody using the Patriot vortecs? From what I understand they have a gm part number but are ready to bolt on.

In general, I have heard very iffy things about Patriot parts...hit and miss...Just get the GM Vortecs and play it safe..imo

Keep is mind that NEW GM vortecs "echo en mehico" arn't quite as good as the originals that where available in the late 90's. If you can find original casting taht arn't cracked that is your best bet.
    Josh K.