Default Truck to tow 24 foot enclosed trailer

Getting back into racing and purchased a 24' enclosed trailer. I have always had an open.
    I know diesel is king of towing but I may tow 30 times this year and don't see this as a worth while purchase.
    Would like some input on what others use, that would do the job.
    F150/Ram 1500/F250/Ram 2500/etc.
    Trailer is rated at 7000#.
    Budget says no way to 2012/2011/2010 models.

Appreciate your input.

if u could find older F-250 F-350 1996-1997 Powerstroke
    it wold be way to go if price good they pull a lot better then the new ones.
    u need at least a 250 or 2500 to pull with.the new duramax is a hell of a truck
    but cost a little chunk change.

I think you need to rule out the 1/2 ton trucks. I am sure someone will post pictures of them towing 10,000lbs 5th wheel trailer with a Dodge Dakota. But do you really want to be on the ragged edge? You have enough to worry about with the race car. The hauler needs to be a no hassle operation. Any decent V8 will pull the trailer, it might be slow but it will pull it. You need the heavier duty truck for the springs, shocks, brakes, trans/cooler.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

If your just racing local a 3\4 ton will work fine or any 1 ton dually gas or deisel.Ive towed a 48 ft with a 454 GM truck just fine at 70mph..

I agree nothing less then a 3/4 ton truck i would perfer dual wheels for towing for added confort.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

I read your post about nothing new...but I pull a 28' enclosed (Pace) with tool box,generator,air compressor,race ready late model,extra nose rack,a box full of spare spindles and such,two sets of spare tires and wheels,10 gallons of extra fuel with a 2011 F150 Eco-Boost w/Max Tow Option. I am guessing around 9,000lbs loaded

I tow a 24' Pace American with a 95 Dodge Ram 1500. It works out just fine. Key thing on using a smaller truck is getting set up with a weight distribution hitch and anti sway.
    You win some, you lose some, you wreck some. – Dale Ernhardt Sr.

Default Towing

Got to remember that 3/4 or 1 ton usually have better braking also over the 1/2 ton trucks..

Check your pms.

in 1998 we had a brand new 98 ford f-350 diesel and pulled a 48 foot goose neck. that truck pulled like a tractor trailor!!!!!!! it towed just like we weren't even pulling a trailor! the problem ? when we ran up on stopped traffic on i-85 in gaston co. it took 6 cars and one big truck to stop it! totaled lossed truck, trailor, tore up the race car, and hurt several people! our lesson? we had pulled that trailor ever where 3 years prior to this with another dually with no problems , but this was that 'one time'! a trucks gotta pull, but it' gotta stop, too! like everthing else in racing, there really isn't anywhere to cut corners. if buying a bigger truck isn't in the budget, go down to the local garage or farm and see if they will loan you dually or bigger truck on race nights in exchange for their name on the car! you'll be surprised how many people do this. good luck..............
    Last edited by wtc 46; 02-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.