Default electric water pump and electric fuel pump

is there an advantage or disadvantage running an electric water pump i've seen some people run them on toyota 3tc. and fuel pumps mechanical or electric and why thanks

In terms of HP used/required to spin an electric water-pump and/or fuel pump. Both operate in the area of 50% efficiency. P(watts) = I(amps) x E(volts). 746 Watts = 1 HP. Look at the spec sheet for each & note the max amps the device(s) pulls. Let's assume the water pump pulls 20 amps & the fuel pump 5 amps. 25 amps x 14 volts from the alternator = 350 watts. If both devices, including the alternator, are running @ 50% efficiency, total power required is 700 watts, or slightly less than 1 HP. I have no idea if the above numbers are correct/accurate, but should give you the methodology for figuring it out. -Dave-

thanks 84 dave

As tight as money is these days, I would MUCH rather put that money into a set of tires and shocks. You may see a slight hp rise on the dyno with electric pump and water pump, but who can measure it in lap times? Tires you can measure.

Quote Originally Posted by drtlvr View Post
    As tight as money is these days, I would MUCH rather put that money into a set of tires and shocks. You may see a slight hp rise on the dyno with electric pump and water pump, but who can measure it in lap times? Tires you can measure.
    with the fan and waterpump both off my car theres a difference! car has much quicker throttle response! havent made laps yet!! if calculations are right we should free up over 20 hp!! if we are right! i think we are!

20 HP!! I'm a fan of electric fuel pumps simply because they take the load of the Int Shaft. A few guys I know have tried the electric water pumps and have had overheating problems. There really made for drag racing to keep cars cool in the staging lanes and when putting around at low rpm and to not change speed as RPM's increase. Not to say it wont work but past experience has told me it does not.