Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front springs

Default Front springs

What are everyones thoughts on front springs for a chevelle clip? Would a 100 pound difference in the front be too much with the stiffer on thr RF? Say a 600 and 700?

I used a 750 left and 650 right.

Is that kind of the new deal? Runnin the left front heavier than the right front?

We've been running the lf heavier than rf since we went to the spring behind lr.

What is it supposed to do? Keep the RR loaded more?

I believe make the car rotate, please correct me if I'm wrong.

850 left, 900 right... don't let the numbers scare ya.

He's driving a modified, not a dump truck.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Helps turn the car in better, IF the rest of the car is set up right. Heavier spring gets the weight . A lot of people makes the right side heavier and it works for them.

I would run the springs Kevin Shaw suggested when you talked to him!

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrackchamp4x View Post
    I would run the springs Kevin Shaw suggested when you talked to him!
    our 09 shaw set up sheet calls for 600 lf.... 650 rf......

we have bounced all around those numbers.... down to 525 lf... 500 rf.... and have settled on
    500 lf .... 550 rf....

Sence were on this subject i have a grt copy and its all metric front end. Ive heard alot of guys talking bout rf bein lighter. Having a metric front end will this help or hurt the car if i went with a lighter rf. I have a 700lf and 800rf . New in the mod world lookin for all the insite i can get

600 lf 550rf with steel headed motor 500 450 rf with alum headed motor.

we have to run 602 crates

What would be a tighter setup? 700 650 or 650 600?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemod View Post
    Sence were on this subject i have a grt copy and its all metric front end. Ive heard alot of guys talking bout rf bein lighter. Having a metric front end will this help or hurt the car if i went with a lighter rf. I have a 700lf and 800rf . New in the mod world lookin for all the insite i can get
    If you are running metric lowers you need to be up closer to 1000 on the RF. Some people are gonna tell you different, but, thats been my experience. Anything less than that and the lower arm would bottom out on the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrunner35 View Post
    Helps turn the car in better, IF the rest of the car is set up right. Heavier spring gets the weight . A lot of people makes the right side heavier and it works for them.
    Explain to me how stiffening the lf spring allowed your car to rotate better. A stiffer lf will tighten entry and have very little to no effect on mid corner and corner exit handling, unless your car was so loose to begin with that tightening entry with that spring allowed you to have better entry?

To the original poster, i've noticed you have posted alot of questions on here, which is fine do what you wish, but there are very few members on here that can actually supply you with the correct facts and knowledge you seek. On almost all your threads have have seen nothing more than personal opinions and information going from one end of the extreme to the other. Here is the best advice you could possibly receive on here so take note. Contact your chassis builder, get all his starting points on every detail, attend a racewise chassis school, and then tune your race car around your racing program and what your driver and car tells you it needs, you're just wasting your time on here

Very good advice.... there isn't very many questions that everyone will have the same opinion on, so sometimes it's best to form your own. Get the facts on how a race car works, start with your chassis builders recommendations unless you have a good reason not to and then listen to what the car is telling you. Btw, mark bush's racewise school is a very good place to learn how a race car works.

I've been saying the same thing for weeks. He runs a Shaw chassis and has talked to Kevin Shaw, but apparently feels he needs different information. Oh well, whatever.

Hagen14T doesn't have a Shaw Chassis, its an Allen Autosports.