Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front springs

Washeduptoo: My mistake, you are right , but he did say he called Allen chassis. Another poster asked about shocks and said he had a Shaw. I suggested he call Kevin Shaw. Got the two mixed up. Oh well, once again my mistake. But he should still be getting his info from Allen chassis. JMO

No problem, your right he has talked to Scotty, I think he just wants to get more opinions on stuff people have tried. He might be like me, think of things on weekend or during nights that he wants opinions on when the chassis builder is not available.

What our chassis builder told us does not work for my driver. He is more radical than what that allows. Dumptruck the SOB and see if the driver likes it,mine did. And he got faster.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Blacksheep View Post
    Dumptruck the SOB and see if the driver likes it,mine did. And he got faster.
    Is he a "tail out" type driver? If he drives in relatively straight I can't imagine he'd like the stiffer front springs.

I know soft springs don't work for me... I like to drive it in real deep and throw it sideways. I am usually about 100# heavier on the RF than most people.

what if you have a metric front end mod and don't know what kind of chassis it is? Then what would be a good starting point for front springs?

With metric lowers they say 900 lf and 1050 rf are a good starting point, hopefully someone can help you better, been using a chevelle clip chassis last 6yrs. Good luck.

I didnt mean to cause any trouble guys.

mines all metric and ive been runnin 800lf 700 rf. And im bout 1in from bottomin out. i run high bank 1/2 mile track.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNoodle View Post
    Explain to me how stiffening the lf spring allowed your car to rotate better. A stiffer lf will tighten entry and have very little to no effect on mid corner and corner exit handling, unless your car was so loose to begin with that tightening entry with that spring allowed you to have better entry?

To the original poster, i've noticed you have posted alot of questions on here, which is fine do what you wish, but there are very few members on here that can actually supply you with the correct facts and knowledge you seek. On almost all your threads have have seen nothing more than personal opinions and information going from one end of the extreme to the other. Here is the best advice you could possibly receive on here so take note. Contact your chassis builder, get all his starting points on every detail, attend a racewise chassis school, and then tune your race car around your racing program and what your driver and car tells you it needs, you're just wasting your time on here
    You answered your own question. A car doesn't have to be so loose for it to help, some one asked what it did and I answered it. Never said what it would do for mid or exit.

You didn't cause any trouble, keep asking questions, that how you learn. Every car/driver are different and once you hit the track you'll have a better idea of what you need. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrunner35 View Post
    You answered your own question. A car doesn't have to be so loose for it to help, some one asked what it did and I answered it. Never said what it would do for mid or exit.
    That's exactly what im getting at here, you posted a personal experience and left it up to everyone to decided if your car was loose and needed tightened or was tight and needed freed up, these guys asking these questions probably can't figure out which you're referring to, so they get misleading information, myself I like to post the facts, and let the poster make his own decision based solely on the proven physics of these cars, not leave room for a misunderstanding on a learning mind

I agree, that's why I said it depends on the rest of the set up, next time I'll post more info.

I talked to scotty about the ride heights and everything and got it right where it should be with springs and ride heights all the way around. But it got to be too late tonight, and i couldnt call him back about a potential problem that i think i might have. The guy i bought this car from put front upper shock mounts on it, and when the car is sitting at ride height it only has about 3-3.5 inches of shock shaft showing. Would like to try and work on it this weekend or else i would wait until monday to call, just wondering if 3-3.5 inches is enough travel? Pretty high banked tracks with a 650 in the LF and 600 in the RF. All help is appreciated.

Myself I would want a little more, I get 2-3 inches of travel on my mod.

I'm getting 5 plus inches of travel, but i'm running softer springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen14t View Post
    I talked to scotty about the ride heights and everything and got it right where it should be with springs and ride heights all the way around. But it got to be too late tonight, and i couldnt call him back about a potential problem that i think i might have. The guy i bought this car from put front upper shock mounts on it, and when the car is sitting at ride height it only has about 3-3.5 inches of shock shaft showing. Would like to try and work on it this weekend or else i would wait until monday to call, just wondering if 3-3.5 inches is enough travel? Pretty high banked tracks with a 650 in the LF and 600 in the RF. All help is appreciated.
    both sides have that amount of in travel before bottoming out? if that is the case i think the LF would be ok but the RF would potential be a problem. The LF doesnt really compress much just need as much extension as possible

Yes both sides are like that. And i agree i think the LF should be okay and maybe even beneficial like that. I think ill talk to a fab guy in town here who is great with this kind of stuff. Thanks for all of the help.