Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alcohol vs gas

I get the white build up as well....kind of looks like vaseline. I was told by C&S that it's water in the alky. I have since switched to a Holley and still get it in the bowls, but not as much. We buy our alky from the track and I store the carb and fuel pump with WD40 in them over the winter. I don't typically do anything to them during the week as we race every week. The vaseline type stuff has never hurt anything to my knowledge, we now take the bowls off about every 5 nights and clean it out.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    old enough to know better still too young to care. Hence the reason i am going to gas i am a one man show most of the time so any maintence i can cut out will be more time to devote to tires.

20laps you lose alot of rear weight on alky especially with all the yahoos banking off each other and wrecking every two laps at my track. i bet we do 40 caution laps for a 20lap feature. i typically go out with 22gal and come back with 5gal
    \

good point. I have been to those places and almost went through a 25 gallon tank of alky.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by charcoal01 View Post
    That alcohol you can buy that cheap is called plug fuel. They stick it in the gas pipelines as a buffer when they're switching from pumping gas, to diesel, or oil, or whatever. So your alcohol could have any number of trace products that isn't gonna make your engine run very crisp or as ego said, blow it up.
    The lab that tested this stuff said it was more than likley reclaimed from dry cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    \

good point. I have been to those places and almost went through a 25 gallon tank of alky.
    Before East Bay put in a time limit on the races I watched car running 32 gallon cells run out trying to get in a 20 lap feature. Now they have a 30 min time limit from the drop of the first green and I have seen them get a total of 5 laps in before time ran out.

As easy is it is to build a 700 Hp engine now days, not sure its worth it to just run it for extra HP/TQ and to keep your engine cool. Atleast in a mod.

Thumbs up

Cerrent Price in Central,IL by the Barrel....

Sunoco

110 $345.65
    112 $369.95
    114 $480.65
    116 $548.15
    112 $604.31 Oxygenated MO2X
    Methanol $127.60

Plus $20 Drum Deposit.........
    Central IL Bert Transmission Rebuilder
    Brian (217)201-3640

Quote Originally Posted by cassellracing24 View Post
    Cerrent Price in Central,IL by the Barrel....

Sunoco

110 $345.65
    112 $369.95
    114 $480.65
    116 $548.15
    112 $604.31 Oxygenated MO2X
    Methanol $127.60

Plus $20 Drum Deposit.........
    So if you figure in the additional useage (about 2.2 times the amount of gas) it equals out to be about $280 for an equal amount of race time. or about $60 less per equal race time.

When we switched from alky to gas we went from using 14ish gallons per night to about 6ish gallons per nigh in our open late model motor. Car stayed a lot more balanced with gas also because of how much less was burnt off. However the car did run about 20* warmer on gas.

The alky I am running is as pure as you are gonna get...as the refinery is just up the road about 2 miles. When I raced go karts we had community fuel...meaning everybody brought a couple gallons and we mixed it all together then got a couple gallons back. When ours was tested they said it was the best stuff being contributed.
    Sometimes people pay more for stuff and think that makes it better. I buy it from the supplier right here in town. Another supplier who gets it from the exact same spout charges almost a dollar more a gallon and swears they have better fuel. Guess transporting it that thirty miles or so really costs a lot....

By the way, I have never popped an engine due to a fuel related problem