Default air pressure for street tires for dirt track

What is some good air pressures to run in a street tire for dirt track racing the won't ruin the tire in a short time?

Quote Originally Posted by redtop View Post
    What is some good air pressures to run in a street tire for dirt track racing the won't ruin the tire in a short time?
    we never run less than 17 psi but 19 was a happy medium with no problems!! a radial needs air to keep contact patch on ground not like race tires!

If only more guys around here would listen to me when I tell them that... We have got a bunch of "pure stock" guys around here that insist on running american racer tire pressures in their street tires and can't figure out why the guys that win run their tires much harder.

With a tire pyrometer, measuring the temps across (3) places on the tire, outside/mid/inside, will tell you how hard the tire is working versus the pressure used. -Dave-

what type of street tires, or dot approved tires work the best on the dirt tracks?

I have found that Fuzions work well, but they are getting hard to find anymore.

redtop never stated what type of car he runs... running tires to the max PSI works for FWD cars, but it will never work on a RWD! I tried 35 PSI in my mustang...once...track rule they decided to enforce after warmups! Ill park it before I try that again!!!

Stock car driver is 100% correct again. When we ran a hobby stock IMCA with dot's we generally set the pressures at the manufactures recommended psi. We then played with adding more pressure while on the scale to get the best percentages because we could not run ballast. A DOT tire needs more pressure, and the tire pressure rule slowing people down is only because you lost the split because everyone put 35 psi in all 4 tires instead of running the insides at say 35, and the right sides at 40 or 45. It makes more difference then you think, just do it sometime on the scales and you will see what I mean.
    Other big plus at running air at this pressure in DOT's is they dont jump the rim. If you have a crap rim rule and are losing tires its a good bet you are not running enough air. Also, a tire with more pressure in it doesnt drop off as much. You would be amazed at how many guys with racing tires even, dont run enough air pressure.

it is a mustang. i have heard alot of people run around 20 psi. and also people running around 8-10 psi. for me so far i have liked the feel of the car around 15-17 psi. I havent liked how the car feels with 20psi in the tires. So far with the tires being 15 psi I havent had any tire problmes.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Really, wow I hope youve parked your car then because low psi on a radial tire is a accident waiting to happen.

It is in fact working for everyone Ive advised since 2007 fwd and mostly rwd street stock type cars.

fyi- I only post what I personally know as a guaranteed fact based on my personal use of the method or part. I dont post what people tell me, what I hear, what I read etc. If I do ever post something I was told from a source like Bill Hendren I clearly state that Bill Hendren posted or said xxxx..

I am only ever on here posting to help people out. I am trying to race less and I get some satisfaction from all the emails I get from guys Ive helped winning races like last weekend when one won 2 races at two tracks to start his season!
    Not getting into a pi$$in match here, but I try to help out also with what I know works on my car. I dont know of anyone in any RWD class running 35 psi in the tires, radials OR race tires. I tried it once & I dont care to try it again! I prefer my DOT tires on my mustang in the high-teen/low 20s psi range. Ive had RRs pop off the bead on a rough track a few times, otherwise Ive NEVER had any tire issues.

On our 95 neon we are running 28 on the right and 24 on the left. Do you think we should try to up it to 45 on the right and 35 on the left?

Default Uh

Blink blink