Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fox body getting tight

anybody had a problem with a fox body getting tight when the track gets really dry. springs are 600 rf 500 lf 175 rr 200 lr. afco rear shocks .

Quote Originally Posted by r3tracing View Post
    anybody had a problem with a fox body getting tight when the track gets really dry. springs are 600 rf 500 lf 175 rr 200 lr. afco rear shocks .
    How much tire stagger (front & rear)?
    RF brake on?
    Air pressures?
    I usually have the opposite problem when track gets dry, car gets loose.

thats usually the problem but my 12 year old is driving it and keeps saying it gets tight in the feature but good in heat. all of the tires are the same size, track dictates that. he says he isnt touching the brakes just letting off throttle. air is 21 rf 18 rr 12 lr 12 lf. was wondering if we should swap rear springs but it is hard to get much info from a 12 year old but he tries really hard.

thats usually the problem but my 12 year old is driving it and keeps saying it gets tight in the feature but good in heat. all of the tires are the same size, track dictates that. he says he isnt touching the brakes just letting off throttle. air is 21 rf 18 rr 12 lr 12 lf. was wondering if we should swap rear springs but it is hard to get much info from a 12 year old but he tries really hard.
    wheel spacing will help

Quote Originally Posted by Dan32 View Post
    wheel spacing will help
    different offsets on wheels

Sounds like the 12 psi in the lefts is too low (to me). I run 20 RF, 17 LF, 17 RR & 15 LR for features. Like I said, its loose but still driveable. My RR has gained up to 3 psi in a feature, 2 psi in the LR, but starting with too low psi (in RR) can cause the tire to pop off the bead (been there done that!)

You would be amazed at how much difference an extra 1/2 to 1 pound of pressure in the right rear will loosen a car up when the track goes dry slick.
    I don't suffer from insanity ... I enjoy every minute of it!

http://www.Scalded-Dog-Racing.com

swap your front springs, the 600 should be on the LF.

i had the same problem,,,here is what i do....i unhooked the right front brake,just run the left front and back brakes.just before i go into the turn i hit the brakes somewhat hard to set the car up in the turn,,when u hit the brakes it brings the back end around just enough to get it to turn.might not work for u but this how i do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang99 View Post
    i had the same problem,,,here is what i do....i unhooked the right front brake,just run the left front and back brakes.just before i go into the turn i hit the brakes somewhat hard to set the car up in the turn,,when u hit the brakes it brings the back end around just enough to get it to turn.might not work for u but this how i do it.
    I do the same thing, people claim its not safe (3 wheel brakes) but my car still stops just fine.

the brake thing might work but rules require all 4, remember 12 year old driver. the swapping of the front springs sounds interesting but what would that do for the heat. we are going to try the air pressure higher..

It will loosen you up gettin in and help with getting out, if its too loose, then you now have options, IE stagger, weight placement etc. It will make the car drive better and more stable IMO.

we have a practice this weekend we will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by C10 View Post
    swap your front springs, the 600 should be on the LF.
    nice when i read this i didnt catch it the way it was written!!

we have a practice this weekend we will give it a try.
    also put a zip tie around your right front strut and right rear shock , before you go on track slide them to where they touch body of strut and shock! check them when he comes back of track to make sure car is not bottoming out !it will show you the roll in car!

That is a good idea dan32. I didn't think of that. Thank you

That is a good idea dan32. I didn't think of that. Thank you
    no problem man

Our car puts the zip tie all the way up in the bushing 750lbs rf spring how much would you raise rate thought about trying some shock rubbers on the strut

i know your son is pretty young but sit down with him draw some apexes ( the turns) and brake it into 3 segments entry , center, exit. the car could be different in each part.

have him tell you what the car is doing in each spot . if he has a hard time with this I recommend investing in a in car camera like a go pro and keep it looking out the front but make sure you can see the full wheel to see what he is actually doing in the car,

Get him in a routine and keep good notes after each race on what the car is doing in each segment keep notes on changes and his input on them .

hes real young yet he can afford to try new things and lose some races 5-10 years down the road no one will remember how he ran when hes a top runner every week.
    62 mini mod

thanks we talk about what the car is doing we have not been good at breaking it down in three parts but we will he has a decent grasp on tight and loose he is only 13 but this is his 9th year of racing we raised the front spring rate 100lbs last year and he moved up off the bottom and the last night was way better but still bottoming out rf strut