Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using jet fuel

Default using jet fuel

Has anyone used jet fuel mixed down with 93? If so how do you mix it.

Jet fuel is kerosene.I assume you really mean aviation fuel which you can run.

But jet fuel sounds so much faster than crop duster fuel.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

That's got the potential to be the next "hot" set up...Then we can talk about the drawbacks/benefits to JP1, JP4, JP5 or JP7...LOL Interestingly enough, JP4 is a 50/50 blend of kerosene and gasoline..LOL

Default Jet fuel

just member,jp1/kerosene(K1),is "O"octane/"anti knock compound", & av., gas today is no lead!!! Jet fuel programs are very sophisticated, & jet engines make their own compression pressure,"reason they were invented ", they will burn anything combustible. Smokey

Next you will want to run Propane ! LOL If you want to play, try using some Propelene oxide! It is an oxegenizer.

i talked with a few reputable builders this week bout fuel,...none thought much of using AV gas,..one even said if ya cant afford to feed the dawg,..leave it at the pound...

i ran av gas for the entire season of 2010. i had to replace 16 ti valves beat the hell out of valve seats and wore the rings out in 8 races. i had pan pressure in 8 races w a drysump. was a stupid mistake. if your runing steel valves and steel seats w thick rings maybe can get away with it? i couldn on alum head ber. seat. the gas i ran was avgas100 low lead. the reason i tried it was that i had not that high compression 12 to 1 and it had lead in it and it was 3 dollars a gallon. in the long run would have been better to get the vp. always ran the 112 before and after w no trouble. dont use it man i know its tempting but really itl tear your stuff up.

Andy is 100% correct. It is simply not made for the high heat and ground use of racing.

AV gas is designed for a very narrow RPM range at altitude...I know that there are "millions" of people that have ran it for years in their race cars...Great..It is NOT designed for race engines..Good luck

totally agree with No on avgas most of the people that get away with are a low enough comp ratio that 93 would have been beneficial jmo
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

Default AV gas

100 ll and 110 sonoco are the same thing

Wrong! Look at the molecular make up of the 2 fuels...jeez

Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    totally agree with No on avgas most of the people that get away with are a low enough comp ratio that 93 would have been beneficial jmo
    so in say a 602 or 604 you would be better off just running 93? we have been running our car on a mix of 1 gallon av to every 4 gallons 93. we have done this to raise the octane just a bit, to get closer to 95-98 or so. we were told that going up to a 110, which is the only fuel our track provides, would do us no good and we would possibly give up power. is this true?
    Last edited by rubbinsracin; 04-19-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Default fuel

Quote Originally Posted by rubbinsracin View Post
    so in say a 602 or 604 you would be better off just running 93? we have been running our car on a mix of 1 gallon av to every 4 gallons 93. we have done this to raise the octane just a bit, to get closer to 95-98 or so. we were told that going up to a 110, which is the only fuel our track provides, would do us no good and we would possibly give up power. is this true?
    Yes you would possibly lose some power because you do not have the compression to fire the fuel, correctly. those motors were designed for street use, so a 93-94 octane is all you should need. The 100ll avgas would be tops of the octane level you would need.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Renegade makes a 98 octane race gas that you could use for a mixed blend...I forgot who, maybe Dynoman14, said that Chevron Supreme was the most consistent of pump gas...

Default av gas

looking back if i were gonna use it again i would lube it. i would buy a bottle of castor oil and put 5 cap fulls into every 5 gallons. we use that in nitro methane and it works good. cant say for sure what itl do in yours but id put some kinda lube in it.

Default 100 LL Aviation Fuel

I run the 100ll av fuel straight in my crate car, the quality of the fuel is way better than inconsistent pump gas. You don't never know what you're getting at the pump, ethanol and even water! Been on it going on 3 seasons in crate with 0 problems. But I do not run it in my super motors. I use Late Model Plus in those.

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    Renegade makes a 98 octane race gas that you could use for a mixed blend...I forgot who, maybe Dynoman14, said that Chevron Supreme was the most consistent of pump gas...
    Shell gas is most consistent pump to pump and state to state.

Thanks Ego...I couldn't remember for sure...I was thinking Chevron or Shell...Out here in the west, for years Union Oil, or Union 76 was the gas..LOL...You could still get 93 after the others had long dropped to 92...now the premium is 91 octane..