Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: using jet fuel

We used Marvel mystery oil with ours and as JustAddDirt said you may lose a little but chances are you would never know it insofar as performance and the longevity factor i smuch higher imo
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

When we stated running crates we were running 4 gal BP pump and 1 gal of 110. We were running good locally and go out of state and it would overheat in 5-10 laps. After research and testing we found the depending on the emission standards of an area the would add oxygenerators to the pump fuel. That is when we found that Shell was the best.

Dave was right, I did a fuel test last summer with about 30 different fuels. My standard for Crates has always been Chevron93 because I had a friend who was a fuel engineer there and he let me in on some of the secrets behind the Chevron additive package and how Techron works. BTW techron loves oxygenates.

Currently Shell is a close second on pump gas HP with it's Nitro-based additives but it will turn colors on a fuel test for Nitro so I don't use it or recommend it. I have not been called wrong in 26 years of racing and don't want it to happen on a count of Shell pump gas. JMO.

I have tested the 2 back to back on my chassis dyno mule and Shell was 447RWHP, Chevron 456RWHP and VP-CHP 471RWHP, although nobody asked e-85 461RWHP with an different carb tuned to E-85.

I used to get pure techron in 5 gallon pails and used it in my Kart fuel = Alcohol. It was an easy HP on 12 and was not a detectable substance in fuel pulls. The stuff you buy in the parts store is only 25% techron and 75% carrier agent, so you can imagine how good the stuff really is.

I know for a fact that Shell has more stations around than Chevron and you would figure Texaco would be the same as Chevron but it is way down like 435RWHP. I still have about 1/2 a drum of Amoco White gas and it was always the best pump gas 461RWHP they still sell a premium but it is not any better than Texaco @ 435RWHP.

I play with a lot of additives and fuel mixtures and although it does not seem possible you can get close to 485RWHP on the same test car as above thru creative fuel blending. it will burn your eyes like MS-109 but about +30HP.

I have sold maybe 30-40 drums to local racers that were amazed at the performance, even had a 602 engine customer in KY win a couple crate races with it as he bought 2 drums with his engine after we tested it in his car against the race fuel he was running it was +38RWHP once we jetted the carb up for the oxygenates and other heavy metal doo-dads in there.

Chevron and Shell are the gasolines to use for 93 octane . Union 76 also makes a good product but it's a little harder to find in some parts of the country .
    Anything av gas can do , racing gasoline can do do much better . For many crate engines , a top quality 93 is all you need . For a little cushion against detonation ,a good mix would be 80/20 93 to 110 race gas . For max output crates , companies like Renegade make an excellent race fuel that will up power and torque . It's more money per gallon , but well worth the extra expense .