Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whistling Sound

Default whistling Sound

A few of the most fastest cars at our track make this whistling sound after they let of the gas and prepare for the turn. Some say "lighten parts, 10" converter "our rules say 11", traction control, etc, etc.
    ..any ideas ?

How is light internal parts or a 10" convertor going to create a "whistling" sound?

Possibly gear drive instead of timing chain?Hard to hear under acceleration because of exaust noise.

Quick change gears maybe? They have more of a whine but maybe if someone can hear it then it sounds like whistle?

Quote Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
    Quick change gears maybe? They have more of a whine but maybe if someone can hear it then it sounds like whistle?
    our rules state " stock rearend that came from same Manufacturer"....ie...99.99% we run metrics mostly, so that limits them to gm 7.5 or gm 8.5.
    Last edited by 3dinter; 04-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milford Motorsports View Post
    Possibly gear drive instead of timing chain?Hard to hear under acceleration because of exaust noise.
    ill try to describe the sound, it sounds like a turbine helicopter starting up or if you ever heard a M1 Army tank starting up or the tractor pulling rigs that run them allison engines. You only hear the sound when they let off the gas and prepare for the corner. Some say they CREATE a vacuum leak or some sorta check valve on the carb to let more air in...i am clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    How is light internal parts or a 10" convertor going to create a "whistling" sound?
    I agree, i am thinking more along the lines of something on or in the motor...sounds just like a turbine engine starting up.

At some tracks late models make a odd noise like that but it is the tires on the track. Maybe they are running tire softeners and it is causing the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    At some tracks late models make a odd noise like that but it is the tires on the track. Maybe they are running tire softeners and it is causing the sound.
    Im unsure, we have to run Asphalt pulloff's, Hoosier 2045 or Hoosier F-40, on 8" rims and non grooved. That would be really weird if tires made that kinda sound, anything is possible...I neither confirm or deny our team ever using a tire softener, but if we did our tires never made a sound like that. Still a mystery..LOL
    Only thing i know for a fact the cars running up / winning make that sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    Not trying to sound rude, but your guess is good as mine...Clueless in Ft Worth

Default whistle

its the fan pulling air thru the radiator and shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by billy5 View Post
    its the fan pulling air thru the radiator and shroud.
    havent thought of that one, my brother thinks its some sorta vacuum into the carb, IE...letting / pushing more air into the carb kinda like a supercharger,,IE more air, more jetting, more fuel, more power..just a lil curious...but i an see what you are saying,,something like when a 18 wheeler when the fan kicks in it makes that sound.

Bert transmissions make a whinning noise? (usually in low gear though)
    Gill T. Azell

Quote Originally Posted by gadirtracer View Post
    Bert transmissions make a whinning noise? (usually in low gear though)
    Its not a Bert, i can tell the difference. we are not allowed to run any aftermarket trans, stock only. gm with gm, ford with ford, dodge with dodge.

see if they're running electrical fans or stock appearing cheater trannies that work like a bert or brinn.

Maybe they're playing head games and have those deer whistles on their cars.

I think maybe Todd has it
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

Quote Originally Posted by ToddSmith16 View Post
    see if they're running electrical fans or stock appearing cheater trannies that work like a bert or brinn.
    We have to run water pump mounted fans and they go thru tech ech week and I can see the stock fan and I don't know of a stock appearing ie, powerglide, 350 turbo, Saginaw, Muncie, etc that is a cheater tranny like a Bert or brinn..clue me in cause I don't know.

Just trying to keep it real...I would say, this whistling is not what is making that guy/guys be fast. Just get your engine/chassis set up good and go from there...Smoke and mirrors...

I agree with Dave my reply was supposed to be tongue in cheek but the little smiley critter didn't come up Sometimes people will do things to distract people so they'll make mistakes I knew a guy who would put those little whirly whistle in his grill sounded just like a gear drive People were so concerned about him cheating they beat themselves They would protest him and he was legal after about a month he fessed up but by then he had bought new tires with their money lol But they learned a valuable lesson weird but true
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them